Tablet recommendations for a medical setting

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by shutterbug, Sep 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonathanm

jonathanm Pen Pal - Newbie

I am considering if a tablet PC would make my life easier as a doctor. As it seems difficult to actually go and try out these products I would be greatful for any advice.

1. What is your budget? - Will consider all appropriate Tablet PCs.

2. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)? Convertible.

3. What size Tablet PC would you prefer? 8.9" to 12.1". (lighter weight is better)

4. Which country do you intent to purchase from? Australia or UK. (US if ship international)

5. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes? No. Fujitsu and IBM look nice though.

6. How many hours battery life do you require? 6.

7. What do you intend to use the Tablet for?
    I am a surgeon and was hoping I can use a Tablet PC to mark particular features found on a diagram representing an operation. For example: I have a word documents for many types of operations with forms within it (that change particular to a case) and diagrams that I currently mark after I print the document. The document at present must me scanned to be added to a “paperless office”. The ability to draw on a tablet PC would be very useful to me.
    I also use a laptop with video acquisition software and want to be able to burn a CD or DVD of a procedure – do certain tablets have CD/DVD burners or the ability to add a USB burner?
    Access to the internet is important to access a paperless office.

I also give presentations and the ability to “pen” onto powerpoint slides is appealing

8. Do you have an OS preference? No.

9. What software and tasks do you intend to run? Microsoft Office. (Especially Word, Powerpoint.), Video acquisition software, Photoshop, Adobe reader, windows explorer.

10. Do you intend playing Games. If so please list. No

Screen Specifics

1. Do you prefer standard or widescreen? Nil

2. What resolution do you prefer? Anything that looks good.
    3. Do you require an Indoor only or Indoor/Outdoor screen option? Indoor only.

4. Do you require a Passive or Active Digitizer?
    Active

5. Do you require Wacom, Finepoint, or N-Trig Technology?
    Wacom?

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? >80GB, as much memory as possible.

2. Do you require an Optical Drive? Yes

3. Do you require ability to add a second Battery or Hard Drive (Modular Bay technology)? Would be nice but not essential.

Misc
    Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    Light weight is important to me.

Thankyou for any advice.
    :)

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Senior Member

Among the lightweight tablets, they tend not to have built in optical drives, but you can either use add on docks or external usb solutions. They feature low voltage & ultra low voltage processors so they have longer battery life & generate less heat, but are less powerful than their full processor counterparts. That said they are excellent machines for a business setting.

Those include the Fujitsu t2010, HP 2710p & 2730p (newer), Dell Latitude XT & Lenovo x61 tablet & upcoming x200t. (these weigh 3.2 -4.3lbs without their docks)

If you want a machine with a built in optical drive these tend to be more powerful notebooks (with full core 2 duo processors) and weigh around 4.5lbs, consider the Toshiba m700,Fujitsu t5010 (newest components) to get similar battery life as the previous two mention in the tx2500 you need the 8 cell battery which pushes the weight to about 5.4lbs.

All these notebooks have wireless capabilities.

If you'd not ruled out slates, i'd have recommended the Motion Computing c5 & f5 which are really optimized for a clinical setting.

3. dmlerner

dmlerner Scribbler - Standard Member

Just to add my two cents
    I have the T2010 and am in love. It's light and has simply incredible battery life. You DO NOT notice the "slow" processor unless you are doing something really heavy duty: playing games, encoding video, etc. Photoshop you'll be fine for anything other than intense batch processing as long as you go with 4gb of RAM, which is cheap anyways. I say get either a dock or USB DVD burner and leave it in your office, unless you need to burn discs that incredibly frequently. It's worth the weight savings, and like DTigerLilly said, optical drive tends to come with the full powered process which shoots your battery life. In normal (microsoft office/internet/music/light programming) usage, I absolutely do not notice this machine to be slower than my 2.6ghz core 2 desktop.

4. shutterbug

shutterbug Smile - You are on camera

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.