Tablet recommendation for a Professor (academic)

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by desidude, Nov 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. desidude

desidude Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

I am looking for a recommendation for a tablet to gift to my relative. He is a professor, teaching Anthropology.

He would like to use it to present his lectures in class, which he is currently doing using a laptop Powerpoint.

He would also like use it to read books and PDFs, and for audio/video clips and internet browsing.

He would prefer some sort of SIM card input, so that he can use the tablet and connect to the internet while traveling.

An external input, e.g. USB would also be beneficial.

He is not an expert with computers, so something that is easy to use and ergonomic, e.g. easy to handle, will go a long way.

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?

Up to $1000, but preferably around $500

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?

No

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?

Something like the iPad mini but any OS/reputed manufacturer is fine

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?

5 to7-inches
    7.1 to 10-inches
    10 to 13-inches
    Above 13-inches

7,1 to 10 inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?

USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?

No

7. How many hours battery life do you require?

4-6 hours minimum

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)

Reading PDFs and books
    Presenting lectures to students using Powerpoint or similar
    Word processing using Word or similar
    Watching video clips, movies
    Listening to audio
    Internet browsing and email
    No heavy duty applications

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?

No preference but more familiar with Windows

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)

Word processing e.g. MS Word
    Powerpoint or similar
    Listen to audio clips
    Watch video clips
    Internet browsing
    Email
    Reading PDFs

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.

No

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?

No

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?

None

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

Yes

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

Not sure

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?

At least 16GB. Expandable is preferred

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?

Would like some sort of input, e.g.microUSB

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

***Would like to have some SIM card functionality so that the tablet can be used to connect to the internet when not in a wi-fi network***

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

Thanks,
    desidude

2. tijo

tijo Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well, it would be possible to use something like miracast to have the tablet to control the presentation if the right hardware is there.

Regarding which tablet to get, maybe a Thinkpad 10, Office for iPad is also pretty decent to that could work too. It all depends on whether the person is an avid app user, which apps they use and whether you think they'd like to have a tablet that could double as a fully functional computer. Oh and there's the pen input on the Thinkpad 10 that will be superior.

3. desidude

Hi friends,

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you! I was wondering, anyone have thoughts if any of the Samsung Galaxy tablets of the Surface Pro's would fit my criteria?

I may have been unclear in my earlier post, I am not looking for anything fancy, just a nice tablet, that will last, is easy to use, has an USB port of some sort, and can run MS Word and Powerpoint.

If it has an option for cellular data, e.g. through a SIM card, that would help.

Thanks,
    desidude

4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Office for Android tablets isn't released yet, but it is coming. The Samsung Galaxy Note series is the standard if you want to use a pen. But I don't believe they release the SIM enabled tablets in the U.S., you would need to get one from the U.K.or other European country where they have them.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

5. desidude

Hi thanks,

I will look into the Samsung options, are there any other options one should consider?

Thanks,
    desidude

6. alicepattinson

alicepattinson Scribbler - Standard Member

Samsung galaxy tab 8. :)

7. desidude

Hi friends,

I hope all of you are well. I wanted to update this post and see if any of you had some updated suggestions...the criteria is pretty much the same...

I am looking for a tablet using a windows OS, something not too big, around 9 inches maybe?

thanks
    desidude

8. cliffr39

cliffr39 Pen Pal - Newbie

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The S3, once the LTE model is released.

10. desidude

Hello friends,

I hope everyone is doing well. I was wondering if I should opt for the Surface 3?

I believe it has Windows 10 and LTE capability.

Do you think this is a good option for the needs of the user (described above?)

Thank you for your help,
    desidude

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.