Tablet purchase guidance

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Poseidon, Jul 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fido

Fido Scribbler - Standard Member

If only there were a compromise, like, a resolution between 1024x768 and 1440x1050... Wait, there is...

2. PYROTAK

PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

i always say higher resolution is better, however the only problem is that some people don't know how to make websites properly and sometimes they don't support large fonts becuase they don't have dynamically resizing text boxes since they are programming noobs.

3. Poseidon

Poseidon Pen Pal - Newbie

Am I correct in seeing that the M4 has been discontinued? Is the M7 its succesor or is there another model in the wings?

4. Poseidon

Poseidon Pen Pal - Newbie

I have not seen the x41t, you would say that it is less bulky that the M400? Would you expect the x60t to have a SXGA+ option?

5. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

increasing the text size isn't a problem. but having to do that in EVERY program would become painfully annoying each and every time.

since 1400 is the max resolution, i don't think you can increase the resolution any more. besides, increasing resolution only makes th eproblem worse

higher resolution is better for real estate and games. but when you're writing up a 20-page report or trying to read lecture notes with 10-point Times New Roman PowerPoint slides, higher resolutions will cause severe eyestrain and headaches.

but i guess, to each his own...

6. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

100% agreement here daver.

I read an awful amount of material during the course of the day and although initially the higher resolution appears to give the impression of being the 'dogs dangly bits', when it comes down to reading long lengthy material over a period of hours, I most certainly know which resolution my eyes like best.

7. PYROTAK

PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

i still have no idea what you are talking about. If you have large icons on everything is literally the same size. The letters are the same size the icons are the same size.... Nothing ends up being any smaller or causing anymore eye strain. If anything it reduces eye strain since you can't see the pixel grid. Unless you are talking about those small icons which don't have to be big anyways (like toolbars). Then yes they are a little smaller, but its not like you have to read text from them...

Obviously using high resolution screens on the default settings are going to make your eyes die, which is why they invented large fonts mode.

I said it and i'll say it again, Vista supports fully rescaling fonts, so all that stuff about text being too small and having to change it for every program is a moot point once it comes out. So you might as well go for SXGA+ if its availible.

8. blblblbl

blblblbl Pen Pal - Newbie

1. if you need to make things larger than windows default on a 1400 screen, chances are you don't need to fork out money to buy high res anyways. By the same token one can make things smaller than windows default on a 1200 screen. It's better to spend money on warranty/ram/crazy party than making things look ultra-silky round.

Look at spatial resolution:
    a 15" with 1024X768 has 85.3 ppi (pixel per inch)
    a 15" with 1400X1050 has 117 ppi
    a 12" with 1024X768 has 106 ppi
    a 12" with 1400X1050 has 144ppi

a 12" XGA has
    1) ~ 90% of a 15" SXGA+ resolution
    2) ~ 74% of a 12" SXGA+ resolution

That is, if you think a >15" SXGA+ produces the smallest readable features, going for higher res on a 12" won't serve you much.

2. If I am 100% sure that M400's fan is quiet, and more importantly Toshiba has fixed the "blank screen when resumed from standby" problem, I would give M400 some consideration.

9. Fido

Fido Scribbler - Standard Member

It really depends on what you are doing. If you are doing any kind of multimedia editing at all 1024x768 is simply not enough workspace to be effective. If you want to use photoshop, you can barely work at 1024x768.
    When I make stuff in Flash, I barely have enough room with 1280x1024.
    And for programming I like to have plenty of room so my lines don't wrap as much.
    As you can see there are plenty of reasons you would want higher screen resolution. And if 1440x1050 is too much, I can choose an intermediary as I already said.
    I tried putting my desktop screen down to 1024x768, and I could barely function.
    I want to do things more complicated than just taking notes and browsing the internet. I really need the real estate. As I said, it depends on what you need to do.
    Pixel density really isn't the factor I'm concerned about.

10. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You can always increase the screen size under Display Properties...
    It may not give you anything higher than XGA but it at least gives you more real estate to play with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.