Tablet Phone Solution

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Alex, Feb 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex

Alex Pen Pal - Newbie

I’ve read a lot about using a tablet PC / laptop PC over a 3G network as a phone. It appears to be such an excellent solution for tablet users due to its flexibility and potential cost savings resulting from voice minutes being spared by using one unlimited data plan. In addition, as many of you know, around the start of this month, Verizon began to TRULY allow some of their phones to tether as modems for PC’s (Sprint appears to already allow this). I am simply looking for someone who really knows how to do this in a simple manner.

If a person has a bluetooth capable tablet, a bluetooth capable headset (for ease of movement) and a PC Card or preferably a phone that is approved as a tethering modem, wouldn’t it be easy to use skype/skypeout/skypein in the car, etc. over EVDO for example? Connecting the phone over the USB cable would seem simple (I would prefer using Bluetooth for the modem but not only is that crippled but I’ve also read that until the next generation of Bluetooth, it would be a bottleneck compared to direct with the cable).

On this topic, a few questions:

- Most importantly, is it easy to do this and is the above how?
    - What version of Bluetooth is needed in the tablet PC? It appears the current tablets such as the M400, M4, tc4200 would work, correct?
    - Is tethering to save the cost of buying double the data plan (one for card and one for phone) a good idea to save money or is it not that easy?
    - How's the voice quality of skype over Bluetooth over EVDO when you're in main coverage area?
    - Any other gotcha’s?

Very much looking forward to the advice

Thanks in advance

Alex

2. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hi Alex,

In theory, your idea would work just fine. The Bluetooth connection wouldn't be any problem. Regarding your EVDO connection, you would have to be sure that you are getting consistent connectivity in your are (while driving). If the signal was to get weak and slow down, your audio quality would diminish or you could drop your call.

I have the Verizon service with the PC5740 card. Driving around Phoenix and the surrounding areas, my connection stays right on top. As a matter of fact, I am traveling down the freeway doing 85 right now while I am answering this (okay joking). Anyway, you should check out how the service works in your area.

3. dunway

dunway Pen Pal - Newbie

I am in Chicago. I use skype with my bluetooth headset and verizon EV-DO connection if any of my friends are on. Sometimes the quality is better then my cell. Since i have the P1500 i carry it around with me with ease. So yes it is possible.

4. Alex

Alex Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks Barry - agree 100% that it's key that the EVDO provides a high quality signal where you're based.

Dunway - that's very good to hear. Sounds like you're doing exactly what I'm talking about. Very curious to hear more detail on this so if you could answer some questions, it would be much appreciated.

- Which particular bluetooth headset do use?
    - Do you tether or use a PC card?
    - If you do use a PC card, do you have a data plan for both your phone and your PC and if you do, is your data plan for your PC card unlimited and then do you use the limited plan for the cell itself?
    - If you tether, which cell do you use?
    - When you do you feel the quality is better or worse? Is there a particular time or reason?
    - Have you pondered using skypeout (or do that already) to save on voice minutes for non-skype users?
    - Any gotcha's or is this as easy as it seems it should be? :)

I know a few questions were asked but I'm so glad to hear of someone doing this easily.

Thanks much in advance for your answers here.

Alex

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.