Tablet Pen for Tecra M4

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by kayen, Jul 13, 2005.

1. stephenpasquini

stephenpasquini Pen Pal - Newbie

I recently purchased a tecra M4, I had to send it back for an exchange after I realized that 2 weeks of use with the standard pen had completely scratced up the screen. The company I purchased through was nice and replaced it for me. Since I have purchased a better warranty and bought one of the screen protectors you recommended on your sight which is great for 9 bucks. I want to purchase a new pen because I think that the one that came with my replacement is still sharp at the tip, I think this is a product flaw. Do you know where I can get an upgraded pen, I do not see any from toshiba. Do they make upgraded pen's that will fit into the pen slot on the side of the M4. If you do buy this tablet make sure you get a screen protector. to avoid the tragedy!!!!

2. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I know Cross makes a nice pen, but it probably won't fit in the silo.

3. dblank

dblank Pen Pal - Newbie

hmm that's scary... I ordered an M4 as well... Does the M4 come with a screen protector or something that can be replaced? I'm pretty new to tablets, and when I checked out a satellite M10 at compusa the sales guy there said that the screen was meant to take that kind of use. He also said there seemed to be some kind of cover on the screen. He didn't seem like he knew exactly, so now I'm having some doubts. However there did seem to be something on the store model that may have been a cover, but since I'm not too clear on tablets it may also just have been the original screen. What's the screen made of? If it doesn't come with a replaceable cover how hard is it to install a screen protector, and how hard do you have to push to scratch the display? After reading your post I'm getting kind of worried.

4. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I wouldn't be worried at all. I would invest in screen protectors though. They are a piece of cake to install on a Tablet PC. If you think about it, no clear plastic will hold up to constant writing, eventually any screen will show some type of wear without protection. On the other hand, if you aren't too rough this may not occur until it is time to get a new Tablet anyway. I personally have not scratched a screen yet, but then again I only use each model for a few weeks before moving to the next review.

5. dblank

dblank Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the advice. I've just ordered 2 from bstrongs site. If I'm spending over 2k for a tablet I want to take every precaution it's going to last atleast till I'm out of business school and hopefully another 2 years for law school.

6. SuperRob

SuperRob Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, you're really not scratching up the screen, just the plastic covering over it. Personally, Laptops are one of the only tech products that I ever consider getting an extended warranty on (and accident protection if it's offered). The great part about that is that I can basically get my machine refurbished every year or so if something is starting to show wear. My Dell Inspiron 8000 came with a three year warranty with "Complete Care", and the last week of the warranty, I had them come out and replace the keyboard, trackpad, and LCD screen. Basically got an all-new machine out of the deal.

So that's my plan with the tablet. The screen WILL get scratched, but since I'd have the machine refurb'd towards the end of the warranty anyway, I wouldn't be concerned about getting screen protectors until then. Here's a suggestion ... when/if you notice the screen starting to become scratched with the pen that comes with the unit, call tech support and complain. Get it on record, so that when you need to get the screen replaced later, you've got that "paper trail" already established.

If you're the kind of person that just can't deal with the machine not looking like new most of the time, then maybe a cheap screen protector might be worthwhile (though from what I've seen, those protectors aren't "cheap").

7. dblank

dblank Pen Pal - Newbie

That's true a lot of them are expensive, but the Bstrong company seemed decent though at 8 bucks a screen. I got 2 so it would be about 20 bucks with the cheapest shipping. Hmm I'm kind of curious though how you know when something is sent to the wrong address. Like how long do you have to wait before you start complaining that your screen hasn't arrived. Since in the review I read it said that that happened to the first shipment of protectors.

8. stephenpasquini

stephenpasquini Pen Pal - Newbie

well, it's good to see some discussion about this. I love my B-strong protector and have had nothing but great joy in knowing that as I draw away on my tablet I am not making it more difficult to see anything on my screen in daylight. my only beef about the m4 is it has poor viewing angles, making it hard to see much unless you are right over the top of the PC looking down. I would buy the protector from B-strong and throw your worries away. I have to stop going to this web sight though because I keep seeing all the new tablets coming out and am hoping not to see the one that will make me regret my buy. but I guess that is the fun of it!!! Thanks for your replies to my post!

9. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

LOL - Well Stephen, I might have to stop reviewing for this website, because I want to keep every Tablet that comes across my desk!

10. kayen

kayen Pen Pal - Newbie

Perhaps you're pressing too hard? The screen really shouldn't scratch that easily.

I wouldn't add a screen protector on top of the one already glued to the screen.