Tablet PC's to Vanish? I call Bullsh... I mean Baloney

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by Barry J. Doyle, May 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Tablet PC's to Vanish?

How confusing. You pick up practically any current computer magazine or even a copy of Time and along the edge of the pages you will surely run accross slick and VERY expensiveMicrosoft advertisements boasting the Tablet PC. Surely in the ad is a picture of the "Slate" form factor. These ads are cleverly adorned with suggestions that the Tablet will bring us "beyond the notebook" and that you can write and sketch and the whole world will become a better place if you shell out almost double the $ for a Tablet PC over a standard notebook of comparible features.

Now mainstream news that the Tablet may not be around for the long haul,has hit the fan. Last week at the Windows Hardware Engineering Conference (WinHEC) in Seattle, Microsoft executives made statements suggesting that the future of Windows support (specifically with the development of Longhorn) for Tablets and other mobile devices, is now unclear. No doubt that most mainstream users would be more interested in going for the all-purpose convertable solution (a hybrid notebook with Tablet writing capabilities). However, without future Tablet functionality in new versions of the Windows OS, those who prefer the slate model would be left in the dust.

It is very possible that all this is just "talk" and Microsoft plans to continue to move forward with the Tablet as planned. At this point, there has been only minimal efforts to market these devices (compared to other Microsoftcampaigns)to the mainstream consumers anyway. I don't think the Tablet has been given a full chance, yet. Besides, what about the vast possibilities that the Tablet offers for students, artists, medical staff, warehouse inventory managers (the list goes on and on)? My guess, don't be to quick to judge the fate of the Tablet yet. Thereare still plenty of chances for this device to boom. Is it all just a bunch of talk? For now we'll just have to hang in the wings and wait and see. Check backhere at BargainTabletPC.com for updates to this news.

Barry J.Doyle

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You just have to remember that some reports make a living baching MSFT. They do the same thing to MSN Direct (SPOT) which is actually gaining a good deal of steam. Oh well...

Brian Beeler
    Editor in Chief
    www.bargainPDA.com www.SPOTstop.com

3. jrgonline

jrgonline Pen Pal - Newbie

While I wasn't in Seattle when MS made this announcement, I do believe that all the other published articles I've read on the subject seem to suggest that the future is not "unclear" as you stated. MS just said 'no final decision' has been made about whether or not the Longhorn version will be made available for the Tablet PCs. That leaves the door open, probably driven by the consumer market I'd imagine.

The "steam" for Tablet PCs is getting hotter, though.... especially in the academic field. For example, professors and administrators at Purdue University are seriously considering introducing Tablet PCs to the school and students. When the academy sees the value of the Tablet, then Microsoft will change it's 'no final decision' stance. Right now, MS probably is "unclear" as to where the Tablet fits into the consumer market... this will change with time I believe. To read what Purdue is doing in regards to the tablet pc, visit http://www.universitybusiness.com/page.cfm?p=289 which is a wonderful article written by By Matt Villano.

We need to get other universities and students on the Tablet bandwagon... then Microsoft's "decision" may become "final".... and the handwriting recognition needs to be closer to "perfect" if it's going to make it anywhere!

Jim

4. Brian

Microsoft does appear committed to specific niches like education. Their tour schedule announced a few weeks ago planned to hit something like 80 schools I think. Tablet is also seeing success in medical and some specialized industrial areas as well.

They really need to show the power of the convertible tablet in the business world though. I could see a lot notebook users spend the extra money to get the tablet functions if they understood the benefits. Maybe the goal is to start adoption in the colleges so when these kids graduate they pull the technology into the workplace.

Brian Beeler
    Editor in Chief

5. jrgonline

jrgonline Pen Pal - Newbie

Good idea, Brain... pulling the technology into the corporate world. I'm not certain that would happen "fast enough" though for the tabletpc market to make it...

I'm thinking of conducting some type of research or somethingn on the tablet pc uses and then presenting that information at STC (Society for Technical Communications) conference next year... just not sure what I really want to "say" or "research" yet.

Jim

6. Brian

Fast? Not at all, you're right. I still get the feeling that MSFT is badly striggling with how to market this product though. Reaching out to the kids makes sense, along with verticals like medical. We'll see...

Brian Beeler
    Editor in Chief

7. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

<blockquote id='quote'>quote:<hr height='1' noshade id='quote'>Originally posted by jrgonline

Good idea, Brain... pulling the technology into the corporate world. I'm not certain that would happen "fast enough" though for the tabletpc market to make it...

I'm thinking of conducting some type of research or somethingn on the tablet pc uses and then presenting that information at STC (Society for Technical Communications) conference next year... just not sure what I really want to "say" or "research" yet.

Jim
    <hr height='1' noshade id='quote'></font id='quote'></blockquote id='quote'>

"Brain"? Jim don't get him confused with smart people! LOL!

Barry J. Doyle
    Editor in Chief
    BargainTabletPC.com

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.