Tablet PC Pressure Sensitivity

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by RockRaccoon, Jan 28, 2016.

?

What is the pressure sensitivity on the Fujitsu T935?

1. 128

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 256

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 512

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 1024

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RockRaccoon

RockRaccoon Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys!
    Does anyone have any idea what the pressure sensitivity levels are for the Fujitsu Lifebook T935 or the T936? I can't find information on this ANYWHERE!

Also, is the pressure sensitivity of a tablet PC a property of the computer or the tablet pen you use on it?

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Pressure sensitivity is a property of the digitizer in your machine.

If memory serves correct wacom EMR tablet pc's don't have pressure sensitivity above 256. ( The T935 & T936 use this digitizer)

Wacom's AES tablet pc's like the HP Pavilion 12 x2 have 2048 levels of pressure sensitivity.

Ntrig I believe also has 256 levels of pressure sensitivity.

This post on the whole pressure sensitivity debate might be of use to you however.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not so. Most recent EMR tablet PCs (Surface Pro 1, 2, Thinkpad Helix 2, HP Pro x2 612 G1, etc.) are capable of 1024 pressure levels.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm pretty sure that's just thru a firmware/software hack of sorts. Shog tested it in one of his videos where he had an indicator of pressure levels.....an older emr tablet went somewhat gradually from 1 to 256....where as a newer emr tablet shot from 1 to 1024 in an instant. Since it's impossible to feel the majority of minuscule pressure differences, (can anyone honestly tell the difference between 233 levels and 244 levels?) if they rig the digitizer to read 256 as 1024, it's little more then a numbering hack for sales purposes.

If tablet PCs were ever blessed with the 0.03 grams of activation force found on Cintiqs (and newer samsung devices), and you did a blind drawing test between a 256 level tablet PC, or a 2048 level Cintiq.....with IAF equal, I doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference.

stoneseeker and Kumabjorn like this.
  5. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Thank you for the correction @surfaceproartist I forgot about that!

6. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Using this app on the T904, it shows 1024 levels of pressure. Pressure levels are not a problem on any modern device. What matters is how light a touch activates the pen, and what's the pressure curve like. Using a Bamboo Feel on my T904, the activation pressure is equivalent to a good physical ink pen, and the pressure curve can be adjusted. The pressure app shows that light strokes are about 200, medium strokes are 400-600, and when I push hard (the amount of pressure that would tear through a piece of paper with a regular pen) I get to 1024.

Regardless, if you're thinking of buying a T935, consider the more powerful and less expensive alternatives: Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 14 ($700), HP Spectre x360 WQHD ($1500), Surface Book ($1500). Only get the T935 if you want the Wacom EMR digitizer and the LTE modem and fingerprint reader, otherwise there are cheaper, better alternatives.

Marty and RockRaccoon like this.
  7. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@ATIVQ this app is really interesting. With all the settings turned down, I can easily control the pressure of my strokes from about 22 all the way to 1024 on my SP4. Anything from 0 -22 tends to break up. Any idea what any of this means?

8. RockRaccoon

Are the Cintiq pens the only ones that get 0.03grams activation force? Also, I would love to explore the data you used to discover the activation force figures! Could you link me to it?

9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Mistake on my part, I meant to write 0.3....but even that I'm having trouble finding the posts about that...l distinctly remember that 0.3 grams of activation force was thrown around somewhere, but all the articles I can find have the older info about Intuos 4 tech having a 1-gram activation force.

This article in particular looks fairly informative if not old. (2009)
    http://www.vincenwoo.com/vincenwoo/...wp-content/download/Wacom_2ndGenTipSensor.pdf

But all of Wacoms current products such as the Cintiq Companions and the 27QH are all essentially using that 2009 era Intuos 4 pen tech. But even at 1 gram, that's like very extremely light contact to get a stroke going. Anything less then 1gram would be nearly impossible to physically distinguish. But I could have sworn I remember reading that Wacom got it to less then 1-gram.

However with Wacoms EMR Tablet PC pens using the older UD Digitizer......there was never any specific spec but its was higher......like 3-5 grams....however older EMR pens had the benefit of coming in many different pen configurations from all the different OEMs. So from OEM to OEM....depening on the tip assembly and how much the nib physically recoils into the pen.....the IAF can vary from pen to pen....from my best estimate from 2 to 5.

However most pen tech developers don't really advertise IAF, heck "IAF" is just a term we coined in this forum. Like Atmel, Synaptics, and even Wacom AES haven't released an actual gram spec for IAF. Microsoft did for the Surface Pro 3 pen....I can't find it on-line anymore, but it was considerably high, (It was discussed in the Pro 3 discussion thread) like 8-10 grams. However for the Pro 4 Pen, they lowered the IAF.....but they don't advertise the gram spec like they did for the Pro 3 pen.

Ditto with the Apple Pencil, no clear defined spec for IAF or even Pressure Levels.

But in the 1-gram or less category....or rather the faintest tap of the pen tip that would register

Wacom Cintiqs (2009 & Up)
    Samsung S-Pen (Note 5 gen) (There is no published spec on this, but its definitely rigged to be that low)
    Apple Pencil (Again no published spec, but it certainly feels that low)

adawe and Marty like this.
  10. RockRaccoon

Do you know if the Fujitsu Lifebook T935 or T936 falls in the 1024 category?
    I just saw an unboxing video of the T935, and there was a sticker on the computer that said "Wacom Feel IT". Does this refer to something specific that we know the pressure sensitivity levels for?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.