Tablet PC possiblilties

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Spoonsx21, Mar 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spoonsx21

Spoonsx21 Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, seeing as I have a C141XL on the way (supposedly due March 18th), I was trying to prepare some programs and uses for it.

So far, in anticipation I've picked up ObjectDock, and obviously I'll use OneNote, which came with the full version of office '07. And I have photoshop already. But I was wondering what other uses people have used their tablet for?

Something I was thinking about using it for was as a universal remote. There are some USB IR transceivers I was thinking about picking up so I could turn on my electronics while using the tablet.

As far as storage goes, I was looking to pick up a 750GB external, and an eSATA PCMCIA card to connect it for faster than USB speeds.

Any other neat suggestions or uses anybody else has come up with?

2. tomtheweirdguy

tomtheweirdguy Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't think an eSATA PCMCIA card is really worth your time. Most hard drives can't sustain a read or write rate that can completely max out a USB connection. I also believe the PCMCIA slot in the C140x (and I would assume C141 as well) is wired into the USB hub anyways (when I insert a PC card it shows a removable device with some PCI to USB nonsense), making that extra card absolutely useless.

However, it is entirely possible that I am completely wrong, so anyone with more knowledge about actual throughput on this system (versus theoretical) feel free to share.

3. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

For me, it's a notepad, book, laptop, sketchpad, occasionally as a charger for my mp3 player, and as a portable storage drive for my digital camera.

Strangely enough, it also attracts girls....which is strange since I have a Corvette and a motorcycle, but it's the tablet that gets their attention....weird.

4. scythe000

scythe000 Pen Pal - Newbie

LOL, Leafty, you pimp...

I'm planning on view massloads of comics on this thing.

Can I map a pageturn keey to a hardware button on the front? A la ebook style? I think the program Comix or whatever it's called that view *.cbr and *.cbz files has a lot of options to map keys for pageturns.

5. Darak

Darak <This space for rent PST>

Spoons - I'd personally suggest RocketDock over ObjectDock. It doesn't do the tabs, but I use it on my desktop and it's got almost no footprint, is free, and looks rather nice, even doing stacks like OSX if you're into that. I used to use Stardock products awhile back and the amount of bloat and extra processes that got added with them was rediculous.

6. ScubaX

ScubaX Level 90 Mage Senior Member

Pick up Inkseine from MS for free, it goes very well with Onenote - which should also be on your laptop for GW. At least it was with the 140-XL. You can also pickup some Onenote power toys too. Also there are some good art programs out there such as Artrage. I also recommend Activewords which works very well for launching programs and actions with the pen while in tablet mode.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. Spoonsx21

Spoonsx21 Pen Pal - Newbie

I guess the only reason I'm partial to ObjectDock is the ability to use more than one dock, which I don't know if that's possible with RocketDock, although I'm willing to try the program out. There are definitely some features on it that I think are missing from objectdock. What is Inkseine for Scuba?

8. ScubaX

ScubaX Level 90 Mage Senior Member

It will let you copy sections of web pages or documents and put them into Onenote. For instance if you need some info on a web page, you can copy just an icon or 1st paragraph into Onenote and it will have a link to the document. There are other features too, by I have not explored it that much yet.

9. Darak

Darak <This space for rent PST>

10. Aia Rhynn

Aia Rhynn Pen Pal - Newbie

Being a girl, I think I can help shed some light on that.

A Corvette and a motorcycle mean you have testosterone and like expensive toys. That would be the thing that initially attracts [our] attention. Like a pea****'s plumage.

The tablet suggests there's more to you besides said testosterone. It suggests you have a brain. Intelligence, and possibly a creative artistic side, will take you from a 'one-night-stand-picked-up-at-the-local-bar' to a 'coffee-date-the-week-after-said-one-night-stand'.

Yes, every female is loves a nice car and a hot guy on a motorcycle (the hotness being the bike, whether or not the rider is a good-looking as said bike), but most women don't take the biker home for Easter lunch with their families.

So don't be so surprised when the Tablet gets more chicks than your bike. It's not the quantity you're attracting, it's the quality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.