Tablet PC Indoor ONLY!

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by tma, Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tma

tma Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey,
    I need some help.. I'm currently looking for a tablet pc but I'm looking for one with an indoor screen only... I recently tried the Asus R1F tablet with indoor/outdoor screen and im not a fan at all! I was wondering if anyone can give me some tablet pc models with indoor only screens? Budget is from anywhere between 1000 up to 1800 canadian dollars.

If anyone could give some model numbers, I would be greatful.

I would prefer these brands becasue they are easier for me to acquire: Asus, Hp, Toshiba, lenovo.

Thanks, really appreciate it.

2. streetraces

streetraces Pen Pal - Newbie

I would recommend the HP TC 4400 or 4200 series. I have a 4200 with the regular LCD and the 4400 with the Indoor Outdoor. The machines have both been very good machines. My only complaint is the preloaded software from HP. Once it was removed the system runs like a champ. I average about 2-3 hours battery life. It also has an extended battery that you can strap to the bottom. I do not own the extended battery.

I have found the unit is small enough to watch movies on an airplane, but large enough screen for serious use. The weight is not bad either.

My Harddrive was giving me issues, and HP was easy to deal with in receiving a replacement.

3. chriscannon

chriscannon Proud Member of the PFJ! Senior Member

I have heard alot of good news about fujitsu's newest model, and also the X61 from lenovo.

I, personally, dont prefer the 12inch screens because they usually mean a smaller keyboard as well, and they are hard for me to adjust to. So i went with gateway's c-140x. Unfortunately it isnt available in canada, the only way you could get it is to have an american friend recieve it and BRING it with him/her accross the border.

But i would rather have the c-140s 14.1 inch widescreen than the 12inch screen.

4. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Uh-uh. My T4210's keyboard is exactly the same as my sister's 14" Stylistic laptop, and the keys are the same size as my external keyboard (just thinner). There is only 1/4" space between the edge of the tablet and the keyboard on both sides; hardly any wasted space at all.

5. chriscannon

chriscannon Proud Member of the PFJ! Senior Member

well i guess it depends on personal preferance. All the 12 inchers ive tried seemed too small.

6. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Do try the T-series keyboard if you haven't already done so; I have the external keyboard lined up with the T4210 keyboard now, and the left/right edges of the main typing area lines up exactly. See the photos below for reference.

[​IMG]
    Here the T4210's keyboard may seem smaller, but that's because of the perspective; draw perspective lines and you'll see they are the same size (external keyboard minus direction keys and numpad).

[​IMG]
    The photo shows direct measurements of the key width. the image quality is poor, but the ruler markings can be seen - each key is the same size as that of a full-size external keyboard. It also has a full-sized backspace key, unlike some laptops I've seen.

Most people's complaints with the keyboard are not about the size, but about its typing noise and flex, neither of which I actually found an issue. the keyboard is slightly noisier than some keyboards I've tried, but not ear-grating, and the excellent key layout more than makes up for that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.