Tablet PC for drawing?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by luchigo, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Yeah, but weren't we talking about painting?
    Modern cpu's like the core i5 7300u of the Surface Pro have the advantage of being able to dynamically vary their clock just in the moment you need it, which is something older cpu's like those that come from the t902 era can't do and it's the reason why they perform as good as they do even if they only typically use 15W.
    Unless you're doing a continuous brushstroke for several seconds you don't need the full power of the cpu for more than a temporary peak.
    I should add: the Z Canvas with all its quad core might when it comes to painting doesn't perform any better then your average Surface Pro.

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For the OP, sure.

With very few exceptions, pretty any machine made in the last decade would serve well for basic drawing/painting.

I was just asking about Stoneseeker's take on machines with super teeth.

3. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Flash is a dick with CPU resources. Raster painting programs should be OK as long as the canvas resolution and brush sizes are not crazy big.

But then again, even as a designer doing sketches and not an artist doing illos or paintings, my canvas resolution and brush sizes are getting big enough to choke older i5s time to time. I start with 5000x3000 and goes up from there as the drawing gets more complex. My minimum brush size is 40 pixels.

Withe the 15W Haswell ULV i5 in the T904, I highly recommend keeping both the canvas size and brush sizes in check.

stoneseeker likes this.
  4. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I've yet to try putting a current gen LV machine through the paces I'll admit, but I guess my demands are higher than most, I concede that. I would be surprised to hear that turbo clocks are sustained for a long time in anything other than a Microsoft Surface product. I remember when MS was one of the first tablets to make use of longer turbo times and didn't have aggressive throttling profiles like Lenovo, Fujitsu and HP. But I know what your saying, that the dynamic range of the new CPU's is far more advanced and less of a concern today.

But the machines being compared were a t904 and t902, not a newer low voltage machine. I agree with Shog that it might become an issue with larger canvases and certain drawing applications or brushes on the T904.

5. luchigo

luchigo Pen Pal - Newbie

Guys, thanks so much for this info!! I really appreciate it, yall have probably saved my christmas haha! I had no idea what to buy for myself. (treat yo self)
    So, I have saved searches for HP 2760p, T902, T904, T734, Surface Pro 2.
    Am also looking for an adjustable laptop stand.
    Mostly considering T904 right now! If I find a listing without a pen, what kind of pen would I have to look for?
    And how do you even add RAM to laptops? Forgive all these noob questions, I really don't know much about hardware.

6. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

One of these will work:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-To...434767&hash=item1a3bf2938d:g:iNwAAOSwN~pZ~5Xg

(I used one of those for a few years; they're great!)

Here's a Fujitsu version:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/T730-T732-T900-Lifebook-Stylus-Black-Pen-for-Fujitsu-Unisex-Hand-DIY-Craft-Gift/282621396328?_trkparms=aid=555017&algo=PL.CASSINI&ao=1&asc=20150817211856&meid=a9e85bd0d1564df5bb719ac0b8e459e8&pid=100508&rk=1&rkt=1&&_trksid=p2045573.c100508.m3226

Basically, any "Penabled" Wacom stylus for Tablet PC will do the trick.

They won't fit into the stylus garage on the t904 unless it's built specifically for that model. I can't seem to find any on eBay at the moment, but the native T904 pen is one of those "toothpick" kinds, which aren't nearly as satisfying to draw with, -though handy to have built into the machine for the sake of convenience.

My current Samsung has a built-in toothpick, which is handy, but for drawing, I don't bother with it and just carry around a more suitable stylus in a pencil case.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    WillAdams likes this.
  7. Muzun

Muzun Pen Pal - Newbie

i have used motion le1700 tablet pc for long time and it was pretty good. here is a video about motion le1600

Cheap TabletPc for Photoshop Painting, Flash Animating and SketcBook Pro Sketching

thatcomicsguy and WillAdams like this.