Tablet PC for drawing?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by luchigo, Dec 10, 2017.

1. luchigo

luchigo Pen Pal - Newbie

Going to be filling out the form.

1. What is your budget?
    Around 300 USD (400 CAD)

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Yes.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Tablet PC or convertible. Anything that I can get the keyboard out of the way easily/when needed.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    • 5 to7-inches
    • 7.1 to 10-inches
    • 10 to 13-inches
    • Above 13-inches
    Not a stickler for size. The bigger the better, obviously, since its for art.

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    Canada.

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    No preference.

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    4 hours at least would be nice. Again, not picky with this!

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Drawing! I may have music playing, and a browser in the background with 1 or 2 tabs. (chrome seems to use a lot of cpu though so maybe another browser?)

Mayyyybe livestreaming while I draw occassionaly. Not too sure

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    Windows.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    Following the list above- here's the programs I would use:
    - Clip Studio Paint (more then any other program)
    - Photoshop CC

- Musicbee
    - OBS (streaming software)
    - Some sort of lightweight browser

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    No games.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    No.

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    At least 1280p.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    Would be an AMAZING bonus, but not necessary

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    Yes! With pressure sensitivity! I prefer wacom, but honestly, if it works with the programs I listed then I don't care. As long as there's pressure sensitivity.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    At least 60GB for HDD
    4GB for memory at least... I'm pretty worried that 4GB won't be enough for the tasks I listed, though.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    Don't really care, all my files are online. HDMI would be neat but not necessary.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
    N/A

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    I'm looking into this because I have back problems and using a regular wacom tablet doesn't help with that. So basically, I'm looking for something I can hold comfortably. I figured this would be way better then a Cintiq, because I am basically bedridden.

I would love information on whether 4GB RAM could handle, say, Clip studio paint, with music playing + streaming (probably asking for way too much here)

2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Given your back situation, be sure to pick up a laptop stand to use to leverage your tablet at a comfortable angle to draw on your lap and keep the fans off your lap/blankets! I use a cooler master one that has 4 different angles and its works great.

Your budget is going to limit you somewhat, but with some saved searches on EBay, you can definitely find an older model of tabletPC perfect for your needs. The resolution you list might be the hardest part actually. 1920 x 1080 is most likely going to be the most common resolution on older refurbished models with pens.

Try looking around Ebay for things like the HP2760p, T902, T734, Surface Pro 2... etc. all solid machines great for drawing.

This seller appears to have a pile of used and refurbed Fujitsu Tablet PC's for sale: http://stores.ebay.com/healthyard/

Here's a HP2760p in your range: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fastest-HP...751666?hash=item2f10595072:g:5XwAAOSwuhFaKasi

Just keep in mind the resolution is not what your hoping for, but they would be able to handle drawing and listening to music and maybe streaming too, though you may want to upgrade the RAM for more multitasking. You could easily put 8 gigs in there yourself.

happy hunting!

luchigo and thatcomicsguy like this.
  3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Dude!

This is your next tablet:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Fujitsu-Lif...334994?hash=item3af9c1dd12:g:uGgAAOSwmphaKEdi

The screen IS on the tight side, at 13.3", but it's Wacom EMR, has touch and some decent guts.

I was looking at this line when thinking of upgrading from my old Toshiba brick, and they were really the only modern option with EMR, and they were going for $1000 easy.

Now that the next gen fleet has arrived, nobody wants these anymore, but they're super pretty, quite powerful and right within your budget. eBay has a bunch of them.

luchigo and stoneseeker like this.
  4. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Wow cant believe T904 is now under 300 bucks...

5. stoneseeker

OP, just a quick note about T902 and T904:

T902 has a common pen/touch issue where the touch can be spotty on some units and the pen cursor can notoriously "glitch" away from the pen from time to time and then jump back to where it was. Other than this, the only other downside to the T902 over the T904 is the resolution is slightly lower at 1600 x 900.

T904 has a more reliable touch panel, a resolution of 1920 x 1080 and I hadn't heard of the glitch happening at all, BUT its CPU is significantly slower. The top turbo speed it goes (which isn't sustained for longer than 30 seconds on average) is 2.6 ghz which is slower than the T902's BASE clock speed of 2.9 ghz (T902 can turbo go to 3.6) . If your ever working on bigger canvases or using CPU hungry applications like Art Rage, you may find this makes a pretty big difference worth considering.
    Here's an intel comparison between both processors: https://ark.intel.com/compare/75459,64893

Both of those machines perform terribly at 3D tasks as expected of older integrated solutions, but I still managed to play some games on low settings. Oh, and Zbrush performs well on the T902.

Ultimately, throwing a larger SSD and more RAM in either machine will greatly improve the experience if you ever come across money you want to upgrade your system.
    If your just doing light drawing work on not large canvases, then T904 may be the better bet if you can score it that cheap.

Just something to consider going forward!

luchigo and thatcomicsguy like this.
  6. thatcomicsguy

Only one minor note of correction: The T904 has a WQHD screen, with a resolution of 2560 x 1440. -At least the ones I've been looking at. (Which, at 13.3" seems like overkill to me. -My 15" 1080p screen already looks great to me, so I find it hard to imagine what the improvement would be. Though, after using a WQHD screen for a while, going back might be one of those "No WAY!" situations.)

-Also, wrt to the T902... Has anybody made a more powerful machine yet? -I would think that there must be something in the years since it came out which doesn't throttle down like crazy..?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    luchigo and stoneseeker like this.
  7. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

If cpubenchmark.net stands correct I'd say almost anything decent is more powerful today.

8. stoneseeker

That's the problem with synthetic benches though, they don't really give an accurate or practical representation especially in mobile format. A bench cares more for short bursts of speed over the course of a few minutes most, of which most CPU's today can perform well. Base clock speed matters so much more than turbo clocks on portable machines IMO. Pretty much every mobile tabletPC or laptop throttles out of turbo after the 30 second interval, and how much it throttles and how long it stays throttled is handled differently in each machine. It makes a very big difference to me, while others who are not putting their machines under sustained load may not notice.

Thank for the correction, yeah I forgot that screen was so high res! Certainly an improvement over the T902 in that regard.

And yeah, a handful have been released that have de-throned it in the pure power department, though few have touched it in the upgrades or features department as well.
    Notably, Vaio Canvas (quad core and full voltage), and the newly released HP Zbook X2 have much more powerful processors and don't bother with low voltage parts...

Even the new Acer Switch with quad core and dedicated GPU I wonder if it would keep up to the T902 over a day of rendering or large canvas work. It has more cores and a newer more efficient CPU, but the base clock of 1.8ghz (its low voltage) is still so so much slower. So many applications still prefer higher clock speed to more cores. My T902 never dips the CPU below the 2.9 ghz mark, which makes a very big difference.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  9. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

As far as I can remember I've never seen the i5 of the Surface Pro 2017 throttling down while drawing in max performance, according to task manager it always stayed at its maximum clock while in use (meaning while actually painting).
    It should be noted though that the cpu is never really stressed much while painting, going rarely beyond 50% usage in Photoshop or Clip Studio.
    Other tasks like using something like Zbrush may probably affect it more.
    I think it's been a long way from the time I used to use a Surface Pro 3 i5: that showed an incredible reduction in performance after some time due to throttling, but things aren't the same on current cpu's. On the Galaxy Book for instance I have yet to see it happening, even working on a decently large 8000x5000 image.

10. thatcomicsguy

I think it's worth remembering that Stoneseeker works in a class beyond the average raster graphics painter. -As I understand it, Flash animation authoring software is a resource hungry beast when you're working on high-def broadcast quality projects.