Tablet PC for drawing equal/better than a Surface Pro 3

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Inkspt, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Inkspt

Inkspt Pen Pal - Newbie

1. What is your budget?
    Up to $1200 USD

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    No

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Windows tablet PC

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    12-14 inch

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    I live in New Zealand, but may purchase in Canada or US Amazon

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    No

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    Not really important as I don't go out much.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet?
    Drawing, reading comics, streaming (twitch/youbtube)

9. Do you have an OS preference?
    Not particularly, but I'm most familiar with Windows 10.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run?
    Photoshop + other drawing applications is the big one. Plus streaming.

11. Do you intend on playing Games?
    Yes, but small/old ones as I have a gaming PC so not important.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    Would love to stream to the Chromecast, and if I could use the tablet on my desktop that would be a major plus.

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    1080x1920 at least. Bigger the better.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors?
    No

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    YES. With pressure sensitivity. AES or EMR I suppose (only used a Surface Pro 2 and 3, 3 in particular is a pain, inaccurate, bumpy lines) If there's a great compatible pen I could use instead that feels awesome that is also an option.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    At least 256 SSD and 8GB RAM. Expandable not really important.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    At least one USB slot, MicroSD, Headset Jack, miniDisplay OR HDMI
    I was eyeing up the Galaxy Book, but it only has USB Type-C, though I suppose I could get an adapter?

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
    A wireless keyboard would be absolutely fantastic (for shortcuts when drawing) but also helpful if it plugs in. One of the reasons I was looking at the Surface Pro 2017.

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    One thing that annoys me about the Surfaces, is how impossible they are to repair, as in can't get into the guts without breaking the screen. So if there is a device where repairs won't be a giant pain in the ass that will be a huge deal to me.

Don't really care about a back camera, but front facing is important for video calls.

My past experience was with a Surface Pro 2, then a Surface Pro 3, which I like more as it's bigger and lighter. So as long as it's equal or better than a Surface Pro 3 I'm down.

Thanks so much!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

You could consider the HP Spectre/Elite X2 which offers AES, and is repairable.
    However they seem to be phased out directly from HP and are only available from resellers.
    Most devices are currently phasing out USB A for USB C, so you would need an adapter.

Inkspt likes this.
  3. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I wish there was a Kaby-R quad core EMR device available under 15"...

If you don't mind stepping up to 15" size, the EMR equipped Samsung Notebook 9 Pro with the Surface 4 Wintab driver and 3rd party UD EMR pen with hard plastic nibs will provide the best drawing experience current in that price range IMO.

Also, EMBRACE drawing on slick Gorilla Glass with plastic nibs. Once you train your hand to control on that surface with sufficient light touch, that combination will give you the best control of pressure levels. Bar none. DO NOT be tempted by rubber nibs or textured surfaces. All they do is to rob you of the available pressure levels and control. If you use built in EMR Samsung toothpicks with rubber nibs, you might as well just use Surface Pro at that point...

4. Inkspt

Inkspt Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up going with the Samsung Galaxy Book 12, will have to pick up an adapter, and probably some mini bluetooth keyboard or something for Photoshop shortcuts. Good to know about the textured surfaces. I was thinking about trying out the Staedtler Noris digital pen too.

5. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah. Broken record here, but I agree with the Samsung Notebook 9 Pro 15" choice. -Shogmaster explains above the best way to get the most out of the digitizer system.

I've had one for a year now, and I use it nearly every day for drawing and internet browsing. It's been an excellent machine. -And you can open it up for repairs and battery replacement, etc., with just a screw driver. -Though the quality control on my machine was superb, so I've had no hardware or electronics failures at all.

It does use PWM for brightness control, however. You need to either be okay with that, or come up with some kind of strategy for managing. (I control brightness by adjusting the color scheme from the graphics card side. It doesn't result in good color reproduction when turned on, but it does serve to keep the screen from blinding me with too much light at night.)

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  6. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I honestly didn't mention it b/c the OP seemed to be interested in a detachable keyboard based on the choices they mentioned. But agree with you & @Shogmaster IF the OP would be ok with a convertible/360 hinge device. That the Samsung NP9 Pro/Pen would be where it's at.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  7. Inkspt

Inkspt Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the input. Any recommended hard nibbed pen? And is the only difference between the Notebook 9 Pro 15 and the smaller version the processor?

8. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

If you can obtain a Staedtler Noris it well worth it imho it's has a great feel (in tooth feel and authentic pencil), and pressure response is amazing. Having no button is a bit of a downer although having something like a Wacom ExpressKey Remote mitigates that to an extent. The Staedtler doesn't come with any spare nibs.

The fullsize S-pen is okay and comes with both soft and hard nibs. I'm to a fan of the pens shape it's not very comfortable especially compared to the Staedtler.

The HP Zbook X2 pen is reported to be a nice experience. It also comes with spare nibs of different types and has an eraser. https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-zbook-x2-pen I haven't tried one personally, here's a thread with more info http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...might-work-with-s-pen-samsung-products.73075/.

Another thumbs up for the N9P 15" if you can live without a detachable keyboard. People with the GB12 seem very happy with the drawing experience so I'm sure that would fit the bill, although it's not as powerful or flexible as the N9P imho. As thatcomicsguy said it's nice to have a machine that you can open up easily. Upgrading the NVMe was a breeze for example. Having the S-pen stowed away is also very handy on occasions and gives peace of mind.

Forgot to mention the latest N9P has a Gen8 i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD and an ATI Radeon GPU with 2GB of dedicated video memory. If you can find an earlier model N9P it has a Gen7 i7 CPU. For regular 2D drawing and regular applications the Gen7 is more than capable. The Gen8 is better if you can make use of the extra cores for VM machines, or more intensive 3D modeling etc.

If you can find a used N9P Gen7 at a good price it would probably be the way to go. I know you said no to used or refurbished but the Samsung N9P is really well built. I have had one for about a year and use it everyday - it looks and functions as well as the day I pulled it out of the box.

The N9P is only available in North America so you will have to import one. I'm in the UK and went through the pain of importing twice...once for the Gen7 and again for the Gen8. It was well worth the effort imho.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  9. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I like this one:

https://www.amazon.ca/Smardi-Plus-S...920846&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+pen+smardi+pen

It has a barrel button, good weight and the nibs are a standard S-Pen variety, so replacements are easy to find if you ever manage to wear out the hard plastic.

10. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Shagmaster, head of advertising for Trojan's original product.