1. You may have noticed that TabletPCReview looks a little different. That's because we've moved to a new, streamlined platform, XenForo. Have yourself a look around and engage with your peers. Should you encounter any bugs or issues, please post them in this thread, so that we can prioritize and fix them. And feel free to let us know your opinions of the new site.

Tablet Pc for Architect!!!!!!

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by damianllilard, Dec 7, 2012.

1. damianllilard

damianllilard Pen Pal - Newbie

General Questions.

1. What is your budget? Around $500 range or below

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished? Yes if its a great buy

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible? [B]Notebook convertible [/B]

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?

10 to 13-inches
    Above 13-inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]? NY, USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes? No

7. How many hours battery life do you require? 3-4 minimum but the longer the better

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? Drawing and fixing buildings/Email/Web Surfing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking but mostly for work.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Windows Only

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad

11. Do you intend on playing Games? Not really

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system? I'm not sure what this question mean so most likely No??

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution? Not really but a decent size mentioned above

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    Yes I need to bring it to job sites and make corrections

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    Yes I require a pen with pressure sensitivity. I'm new to tablet pc so I'm not sure which is better wacom or n-trig

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory? Not that important as long it holds my notes and building corrections

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs? It would be nice to have those features for storage purpose and I don't require hdmi

I need to buy a convertible tablet pc for my father this christmas since he is an old school type of arichtect, He's been struggling at work because of the advancement in technology. Back in his days, architect used their hands and skill to design buildings. And I believe a convertible tablet pc is the perfect gift for him.

THANK YOU SOO MUCH FOR READING THIS AND FOR YOUR INPUT/SUGGESTION,

Damian
  2. drvenom

drvenom Scribbler - Standard Member

For that price, you are going to have to get a used one. I would look on ebay.
    I would go for the hp 27xxp series. I would probably try to find the hp 2740p since it has touch capabilities as well as a wacom digitizer. In addition, it is light, thin, and will handle the apps that you need to run. If you can't find the hp 2740p for that price, you can get the hp 2730p, but this one does not have touch capabilities. It only has the wacom digitizer which is great for writing and drawing.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  3. damianllilard

thanks for your input drvenom...this there any other brands out there that fits under my requirements??
  4. damianllilard

So I just checked some of the reviews on the hp 2740p and didn't seem to find it appealing. I think my requirements for a tablet pc is pretty straight forward and basic. As I mentioned earlier, my father is a simple guy and just need to mark corrections and draw on photos of buildings while being able to use it as a laptop.

There's got to be other models out there and I really appreciate any help possible because I need to buy this gift soon before Christmas. :confused: :rolleyes:
  5. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What about the HP 27xxp series do you find unappealing?? those have a pretty high rep in these forums.

The only other convertible tabletPC's to look at are Lenovo X201t, X220t, and X230t (last 2 out of your price range)
    and Fujitsu T900, T901 and T902 (also last 2 out of price range)

For the requirements you listed those are the convertibles people will first recommend. In fact I don't know of any others, except much older models from Gateway and Toshiba.

Everything new these days is mostly hybrids and slates.
  6. damianllilard

thank you soo much for that list of suggestions stoneseeker. i just wanted to make sure that the tablet pc i'm going to purchase will last for a while. hearing reviews about random reboots, touch pad problems, and battery life kinda worried me a bit. but i will look into the other tablet pc convertibles that you mentioned :thumbsup:

also what do you think about the lenovo x61/x61t?? didn't do much research on it yet but it looks pretty durable with long battery life.
  7. stoneseeker

It's a fair amount older, but from what I understand they were built like tanks, and they were very highly regarded. However, at the age they are at now, finding one with a decent battery is going to be tricky. You may have better luck with the x200t or x201t and they will be faster too.
  8. damianllilard

i see...i was looking into the fujiitsu models that you mentioned earlier stoneseeker and was wondering how sturdy is the keyboard since my father needs to be able to feel the keyboard when he types if you know what i mean.
  9. stoneseeker

I can't speak to the older ones, but the T902 feels great. It's very tactile, lots of spring and feedback. I'm not terribly picky though.
    The Lenovo's- especially the older models- will have the best keyboards... they are quite renowned for their keyboards. All of these machines listed will have better than average parts, as these are all high end business class devices, not casual consumer grade stuff. So I imagine the keyboards will all feel a step up from an average cheap laptop or something.
  10. damianllilard

i see thanks for letting me know....does anyone know any good websites to purchase some of these tablet pcs from?? i'm asking because i can't seem to find some of these models online...thanks :thumbsup:
  11. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't think the OP is looking for a Tablet PC, even though he calls it a Tablet PC. He is looking for an ARM tablet for his father who is an architect I guess.

I think the best recommendation for him would be Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1. It's ARM, Android, has pen for marking JPEGs or PDFs, and is $500 MSRP new.
  12. damianllilard

thanks for your input shogmaster but the samsung galaxy note is not a convertible tablet pc plus the android os will probably confuse my father so it needs to be windows. i'm just trying to find some great websites that sell some of the models mentioned earlier.
  13. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Are you seriously wanting to get your father a 4+ year old Tablet PC then? Because that's what $500 will get you.

Also, what special "websites" will get you used 4+ year old Tablet PCs other than eBay? It's time to be realistic with your budget. If you want something newer, you need to up the budget to $1000. If you can only afford $500, it's time to search eBay for old used Tablet PCs.
  14. PhotoMuis

PhotoMuis Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree with Stoneseeker on the list that you should look at, perhaps also the smaller Fujitsus, i.e. T4410, T731, T732 (from old to new), they are 12 inch while the T901/T902 are 13 inch. The Fujitsus also all have a modular bay at the side where you can take out the DVD drive and instead slide in either an extra battery (very handy, don't even have to switch off the computer to do so).

Although most of the older models will still meet your requirements of walking around and marking up photos, they are not exactly cutting edge - so if the problem is that your father is being overrun by the progress in technology (which I guess means that at work people have certain expectations of him of what he is able to do digitally), then the problem is also that these older models will be outdated for his field of work fairly soon, especially when it comes to 3D and the newer, fancier stuff in Photoshop and AutoCAD. If he has a desktop computer available to run the newer, more demanding applications, then all the models mentioned thus far will be fine, but if not, you should perhaps get a few family members to pitch in and get him a newer model as a joint present...
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  15. drvenom

drvenom Scribbler - Standard Member

The HP 2730P meets all of the criteria that you have specified. $500 is enough for you to get an HP 2730p and upgrade it so that it can have all the extra bells and whistles. I've seen hp 2730p with the extra battery and dock for under $500 on ebay. You'll even have enough money to buy a nice case for the tablet. I can't imagine you getting a better machine than the Hp 2730p for that price. I used an hp 2710p (previous model) as my main school tablet. The 2730p will be able to handle all the stuff that you mentioned. It should be able to handle basic 3D stuff. If you need a machine to do major 3D work, then you'll have to spend over 1k. Otherwise, the HP 2730p is an amazing machine that I think your father will love.

Also, there are two hp 2760P's on ebay being sold for under $500. These have i5's cpus and are being sold from reputable sellers. You might want to check those out too... Good luck on your search.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012