Tablet PC for an Artist ?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Roxugami, Nov 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roxugami

Roxugami Pen Pal - Newbie

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?
    I'll spare no expense if it's good enough, but I'd like to spend less than $1500

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    No, just new

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    I'll need to use it as a primarily a tablet and a laptop secondarily; I've used the Surface Pro 4 for the last 2 years but the jumpy pen issues arose near the end and became too much to handle.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    • 5 to7-inches
    • 7.1 to 10-inches
    • 10 to 13-inches <---
    • Above 13-inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    I'm reluctant to stay with Microsoft Surface bc of the cursor issues while using the pen (it was a common issue with SP4 as far as I've researched), but if those problems are fixed in newer or different versions I'd stay.

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    4/5 hours at least.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet?
    Drawing; I like to have it on my lap while around the house or out somewhere. I enjoy portability.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    I'll need this to work with my Clip Studio Paint license (so not iOS or Android), and preferably compatible with the Wacom Bamboo Ink stylus.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    Clip Studio Paint, and possibly other animation and designing software

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    Not really

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    Nope

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    above standard

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    I'll rarely use it outdoors, but occasionally I will, so that might be nice.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    If it's not compatible with my Wacom Bamboo Ink, I will need a new pen. As long as it works well, I don't care about what kind it is.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    8-16GB; doesn't need to be expandable.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    full USB slots, nothing more.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
    A decent processor.

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    That's all folks

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    artistebot likes this.
  2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Sounds like the HP Folio is something you at least should take a look at.

artistebot likes this.
  3. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

IMHO:

The best Tablet PC is the HP Zbook X2. It uses Wacom EMR so is compatible w the Wacom Bamboo, but frankly the stylus it comes with is better. The Zbook might be overkill for what you need but it runs CSP very, well. In many ways it is better that a Wacom Mobile Studio Pro.

I highly suggest you read through this thread on this forum concerning this device:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/zbook-x2-just-announced.73074/

Also have a look at this wiki on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/stylus/wiki/index

You are correct to stick with a device the is compatible with your Wacom Bamboo. Essentially a "EMR" device. There are several "pen" technologies, but frankly Wacom EMR is by far better than all others, followed by Apple Pencil. IMHO if you are used to Wacom products that you will likely find the other options lacking.

A few other options:
    Samsung GalaxyBook 12
    Acer Switch 7 (apparently very rare and hard to get outside or Europe, possible terrible battery.)
    Samsung Notebook 9 Pro

FYI there is a version of Clip Studio that runs on iPad Pro...

Whoops, I have the EMR Wacom Bamboo., and totally forgot about the other one! Never mind the rambling..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  4. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Senior Member

stick a pin guys, isn't the Wacom Bamboo Ink an AES/MPP pen? Not an EMR Pen that would be Wacom Bamboo Stylus Feel or Carbon etc....

Roxugami and artistebot like this.
  5. Roxugami

Roxugami Pen Pal - Newbie

My bamboo ink stylus isn't EMR. it can switch between AES and MPP though

6. etoons

etoons Pen Pal - Newbie

I think you may want to just try out the new surface pen, not the Wacom bamboo ink. From my experience, the bamboo ink is a bad pen that has soooo much pen jitter. Not sure if it will fix your issue, but it's worth a try, and cheaper than getting a new device. If it doesn't fix ur issue, you could always return it.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

7. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I still consider it the best tablet pc for drawing I've ever had, particularly coupled with the Staedtler Noris. :)

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  8. DRTigerlilly

That's interesting, many have experienced the opposite, that the Bamboo Ink helped to alleviate the jitter observed with the new Surface Pen. That seems to be caused by some interference, as many observe it if they're touching the metal back of the device.

That said, with the last update (that was initially problematic for some) 1809 users were initially reporting improvement with the jitter.

9. DRTigerlilly

The good thing is that the EMR devices like the Galaxy Book come with it's own stylus.

Many artists believe Wacom Pro EMR (Cintiq)>Wacom Penabled EMR> Apple Pencil > Wacom AES> MPP/Ntrig

10. etoons

etoons Pen Pal - Newbie

Really? That's pretty odd. This video basically shows what I experience using that bamboo ink
    For me, the surface pen works much better, but by far, EMR is the best. I use the surface for school, since it's very portable and light.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

yodamiked likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.