Tablet PC for a writer (w/form)

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Brucewh, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Brucewh

Brucewh Pen Pal - Newbie

I am looking for a new Tablet PC to replace my HP Pavilion that just died a sudden and horrible death (either the motherboard or the digitizer display failed). I need to work almost exclusively using a Wacom stylus. Touchscreen would be nice, but there must be an easy way to disable it while leaving the stylus functional (reliable palm rejection would be okay, also). I would very much like it to work properly with Windows 8 installed, but that is not absolutely essential.

General Questions.
    1. What is your budget?
    Price is not an issue

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Qualified yes … depends upon the manufacturer

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Windows Tablet PC

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    Anything 10 inches or above

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    No

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    At least 4

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Word processing, note taking, graphics editing

9. Do you have an OS preference?
    Windows 8 (or everything works correctly after I install Windows 8 myself)

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run?
    Microsoft Office, PaintShop Pro

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    Angry Birds, maybe; otherwise, no.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    No

Screen Specifics
    1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    1280 or more

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    Rarely

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    Pen (stylus) essential; pressure sensitivity unimportant; must be Wacom

Component Specifics
    1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    128 GB minimum (SSD preferred); 8 GB RAM; expandable preferred

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    Full-sized preferred (especially USB), but micro of each is acceptable; HDMI not needed

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
    DVD or DVD-RW (preferred)

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    If it has a touchscreen, then it must have palm (hand) rejection, or an easy way to turn off touchscreen without disabling the stylus.
    Screen rotation automatically, or by single button press or stylus tap

2. darkaoshi

darkaoshi Pen Pal - Newbie

Samsung ATIV Smart Pro, if you are not on a budget, good graphics, Wacom digitizer, i think they release it November 16. Or maybe you would like to go on Ebay and get an almost new Samsung Series 7 Slate. emmm Asus VivoTab TF810C. those are the slates i've been looking. Lenovo will soon release Thinkpad Helix sooo that might be an option too.