Tablet PC FAQ General Index Suggestions/Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions and Site Help' started by SimsHsia, Mar 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

changelog:
    • added whole new section called battery guide
    • added subsection battery life, which includes tips to improve battery life
    • added subsection battery wear, which includes tips to avoid battery wear
    • added software: CircleDock
    • added software: Battery Bar

as always, feel free to post some suggestions, corrections, ...

2. Frank

changelog:

However, this only includes pen nibs for Wacom pens!

Does anyone know what different kind of pen nibs N-Trig offers, if at all, or does they only sell one. Are they compatible with Wacom pen nibs.

Also could we add something about N-Trig pens. Do only HP and Dell pens exist, where to buy?

Some help would be appreciated, just post everything you know here :) Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. dangleneck

dangleneck DanGle neck

Thanks for the guide... it was a big help to me on learning about tablet pc's before I buy. I plan on buying a used tablet pc from am ebay seller.

Maybe somewhere on the guide you could have a "List of possible questions to ask a seller before buying a used tablet". I'm sure you could come up with more than I have here. For example, my current list of question that I have been asking on ebay are;

Q) What have you been using the tablet pc for? Do you use the handwriting recognition feature?

Q) How long does the current installed battery last (while running in always on, wireless on, no standby, no hibernate, and the screen and the hard drive set to always on)?

Q) SCREEN: What kind of screen? Is it an indoor/outdoor screen? Any fingerprints and palm smudges ? Is there any screen flickering? Is there any bad pixes? With the tablet turned off, is there any visible scratches on the screen?

Q) Does it come with a pen? Does the pen still work? Have you been using the pen?

Q) Does it come with a a/c power adapter / cord? car adapter?

Q) How much free hard drive space?

Q) Are the pictures on the ebay listing of the actual unit? If not, is their any blemishes or scratches or damage to any part of the case?

Q) Does it come with a legal license for the Microsoft Windows operating system? Is there a windows C.O.A. label attached to the pc?

Q) Does it boot into windows properly? Does it shutdown properly? Has windows update been run on it?

Q) Is there any other software installed? Any anti-virus?

You may also want to recommend that the buyer check the ebay listing to see if the answers to these questions are on the listing, BEFORE sending questions to the seller.

If you are inclined, you could explain why each of these questions is important, but they are pretty obvious after reading your guide. Like: Battery will lose some of its charge over time, Screens can get scratched, ...

4. dangleneck

dangleneck DanGle neck

Q) Are the original restore cds included?

5. Frank

thank you dangleneck, I attached such a list to the Tablet PC Resellers part.

changelog:
    • added AutoHotkey and links to two scripts '"Hand scrolling" any window' and 'How to create programmable Virtual Buttons!'
    • added 'Homemade Cintiq-like tabletpc stand with extra keys'
    • added reseller questions list

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. brucewilsonpa

brucewilsonpa Pen Pal - Newbie

Great resource! Thanks for all the thought and effort that went into creating this.... from a relatively new tablet pc user.

7. kc511

kc511 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for the great guide, Google Chrome with the chrometouch extension works brilliantly too.

8. Frank

Thank you for the Google Chrome hint.
    Sorry that I haven't added it earlier, forgot it :eek:

To all others, I'm glad if someone posts here, or sends me a PM with further useful software, games, hints, tools, whatever. I don't read every post on this forum, so I also don't see every useful thing here. Need some support :)

changelog
    • SimsHsia updated the whole Intel/AMD roadmap
    • added Google Chrome to the software section
    • other minor changes

9. kylborn

kylborn Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for your FAQ! Very helpful.

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a potential update to the FAQ but here it goes:

I recently e-mailed Wacom customer support with questions about my Lenovo x200 tablet (pen input; no touch/multitouch) asking for details about my digitizer. They replied saying that my digitizer has 512 levels of pressure.

I only mention this because I was assuming the standard for Tablet PC's was 256 levels of pressure.

Maybe this info is more manufacturer/model related.

10. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

@kylborn, interesting, will have to check on that, but that you for the heads up!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.