Tablet PC FAQ General Index Suggestions/Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions and Site Help' started by SimsHsia, Mar 9, 2008.

1. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

OK, this thread is meant for suggestions to add new or change content in this thread. The Tablet PC FAQ General Index thread is meant to be used as a reference, and also to combine multiple stickies to be consolidated into one thread -- as to avoid having the entire first page filled with stickies.

First off, some general ground rules:

1.) This is not meant as a what-to-buy thread, e.g. "what's the best tablet pc for me?", the reply will be pulled from this thread and created into its own new thread.
    2.) Try to stay on topic to suggestions for the resource thread.
    3.) You can suggest a thread at any time. Forum staff will take a look at the suggested thread if it fits the criteria to be added into the thread.
    4.) If the suggested thread is manufacturer or brand-specific there are manufacturer forums where there can be General Index stickies (e.g. Asus' "Read Me First (R1F)", Fujitsu's "Vista and your Fujitsu Tablet", or Gateway's "FAQ for new and potential owners of C-140x" threads). *hint hint* :)
    5.) You can suggest new content to be added at any time, for example Tablet PC availability for certain countries, where Tablet PCs are sold, if I missed out anything in existing categories, etc.
    6.) New ideas are welcomed. E.g., which Tablet PC has customizable display buttons, ExpressCard slots, and so forth.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  2. Darak

Darak <This space for rent PST>

At the bottom in the list of retail stores, I've seen the TX1000 at Office Depot, and the TX2000 might show up there soon.

As an addition, a section on when new models usually come out might be helpful. It seems to me that there are a lot of fellow college students who are buying for next fall and some mention of the upcoming Montevina release (and it would seem that even a general new-updated models usually arrive in early Summer would suffice) could help some decide to wait for newer models.

3. SimsHsia

Thanks Darak, its been added. :)

4. quantum

quantum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Perhaps add AMD Puma to the CPU roadmaps, even though HP is the only AMD specific tablet out there it makes sense that they would update the tx2000 early 2009 with Puma.

5. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

There are some windows updates that are tablet-specific, and not included in Microsoft Update I think (such as the Ink.dll update). I'll try to dig up the URLs for those. A list of essential software (we'll have to come to an agreement here as to what software goes on it) would probably also be helpful to first-time users.

I might submit some sample PDFs of annotated documents, or handwriting for those who want to see it before buying. But at the moment things are a little hectic here so they will be awhile in coming.

Might want to include the Fujitsu eBay store in the list of resellers as well ;-)

6. SimsHsia

Got it, thanks quantum. :)

Agreed with the software list, kureshii -- take your time, it's not urgent. :)

I'll add in the Fujitsu eBay store and Gateway eBay store links.

7. quantum

quantum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Since the Gateway e-bay store is included, it may be smart to include the mpc site for Gateway, as it seems despite the higher prices, people may still be intent on getting a Gateway tablet, and I'm not even sure you can get to the mpc site from the Gateway site.

As far as software is concerned, I suppose the Microsoft packs should be a given on the list, while notetaking software like OneNote or Evernote should be on the top, possibly going all the way down to tablet-friendly business software for use in real estate and stock/inventory since we seem to get a lot of potential buyers for use in those fields... I guess kureshii will probably get a better full-filled list eventually though as my needs and therefore uses have been very specific.

Should minute specifics like the Grab and Drag extention for Firefox be on such a list?

8. SimsHsia

Added in the "Can I upgrade my graphics card?" section located below the list of Tablet PCs with dedicated graphics/integrated graphics and above the large list of Tablet PCs with their respective displays. Especially the part about whether the C-140XL/-141XL series has an upgradeable graphics card or not (it doesn't).

9. Mlalahoi

Mlalahoi Pen Pal - Newbie

In the section for Pens, can we get some info on where to get replacement pens that actually fit in the slot/hole on the device? The manufacturer of my device does not advertise replacement pens (that I could find) nor do they give a part number on request. I found the following after extensive googling:

FUJITSU Replacement pens:
    T2010
    http://www.superwarehouse.com/Fujitsu_T2000_Replacement_Stylus_Set_(2_pack)/FPCPN27AP/p/1502821 $49.99, often in stock
    All
    http://www.laptopauthority.com/search_cat.php?pageNum=0 check page 2 for most common

Maybe a listing of part numbers for stock pens?

10. SimsHsia

Hi Mlalahoi,

Your suggestion would be better for a manufacturer-specific FAQ. The pen section is more generalized for all Tablet PCs that can use it. I'll see if I can (or perhaps someone who is up to it) to create a sticky FAQ.