Tablet or Ultrabook

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by doodlesofamadman, Jun 24, 2013.

1. doodlesofamadman

doodlesofamadman Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

Im hoping to start uni in Sept and Ill be studying graphic design and I would look portable pc of some sorts. Im currently looking at the ThinkPad Helix (best) mainly as its a convertible plus it has the wacom pen which would be great and very useful. But my thinking is would I be better off with a Ultrabook (maybe with touchscreen) and just a wacom graphic tablet?

Thanks
    Phil

1. What is your budget?
    £2000

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Maybe

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    A convertible would be great I think

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    Bigger the better

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    UK

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    Nope

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    At least 5-8 hours

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Drawing, Adobe Software, word processioning/excel, web searching (everything pretty much apart from gaming)

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    Im used to Windows so Windows 8 would be good but I know apples are used in the graphic trade but worried about paying more for software I already have.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    Office, Photoshop, Illustrator, needs to be able to handle most software

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    Not really but if I do they would be older games like some of the Total War Series or undemanding Indie Games

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    No

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    Bigger the Best, HD (ideally Full) is a must though

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    Not enough for it to matter

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    Yes and needs to be wacom if the wacom graphic tablet pens are compatible with the device.
    Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    8GB would be min and as large hard drive as possible.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    Video outlet (any as I can get a convertor if needed as I wont be using it that often) USB, as many as possible, card slots would be nice to expand the storage memory

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
    As quiet as possible as it'll be used during lectures.

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    Don't think so

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Fujitsu T903 or Samsung ATIV Q, none of which are available yet. With the programs you list, you would benefit from the graphics bump you will get from Haswell. The extra battery life won't hurt either.

3. doodlesofamadman

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Sorry I should of said that I do have a normal desktop pc which most of my work will be done on, the tablet would just be for when I'm at uni and also when I'm at work managing things and having docs to hand straight away when needed.
    The uni has decent macs as well so anything too demanding for my tablet can be done on them instead.

4. meow9th

meow9th Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, at 5-8 hours you're looking at Haswell or two batteries. With the requirement of Full HD, that leaves you with just the unreleased or the Helix.

5. doodlesofamadman

Thanks for the replies, I do like the Helix, especially as I can also turn it into a tablet. Ive been looking at the T902 which looks really good with the ram up to 16gb, swapable drives and its had some good write up and recommendations from designers but its the weight that puts be off it a little.

6. doodlesofamadman

Im really tossing with the idea of waiting until some haswell devices came out now, seems silly to go for a current system/cpu when a new system/cpu is just around the corner however its when the products will actually be launched

7. meow9th

meow9th Scribbler - Standard Member

Always the question ... Duo 13 has already been released, but who knows with any of the others. We're all hoping for holiday season at least.

8. doodlesofamadman

Thanks Meow, after speaking to a freind who a graphic designer, he really said that I would need a mac at some point and seeing as I doubt I could afford one when leaving uni I might as well get one now instead of this and get a wacom tablet for it instead and train myself on it. I might still get a tablet later on but something like the samsung note which comes with the s-pen, thanks for all your help and im sorry to mess you around.