Tablet or convertible pc with pen and windows

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by brunoosti, Jul 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tijo

tijo Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Actually, Windows 8.1 is the version that handles higher res displays in a decent manner, that won't prevent third party software from finding a way to break things though and older software that didn't handle DPI scaling well will suffer even worse because of the higher res. Devices like these will get things moving in the right direction for third party high res support, but given that it's the first gen we get on Windows, it will be far from perfect right now.

There is nothing preventing you from running the display at half it's native res on the other hand.

As far as the resolution is concerned, consider that the current retina MBP 13" has some hicups handling its resolution, so depending on the IGP in the Ativ Q, I'd expect some slowdowns in third party programs. You'd be surprised at how framerate impacts even internet browsing experience.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  2. brunoosti

brunoosti Pen Pal - Newbie

That's bad.. : ( would you have a video example to show? How should i look for this on youtube?

3. tijo

tijo Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Here's the review of the 13" retina and the UI rendering issues: AnandTech | 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro Review (Late 2012). Note that if you run the Ativ Q at a resolution like 1920x1080, you won't have those problems. It's not like I would run a display this small at its native res anyways.

As for the scaling issues, if you want to witness them first hand, just set any current windows laptop you got with a 1920x1080 display to 150% scaling and look at things like the skype icon in the taskbar, you'll notice they are blurry. I also had issues with some UI elements in GPU-Z being completely cut off with DPI scaling higher than 100%. Not all programs have scaling issues, but it's something you should check for the ones you use. I pulled this from a quick google search:
    [​IMG]

See how the text overlaps, this is the kind of issues you can expect with DPI scaling in older applications on Windows. Like I said, windows 8.1 doesn't have scalling issues with anything Windows itself and MS software will probably work. Other software scaling properly is up to how the devs code it. Expect legacy programs to have issues, but new versions from now on should start scaling properly soon for the most part.

EDIT: The scaling problems aren't that much of an issue in my opinion, you should just be aware that not everything will look as crisp as you'd like all the time.

And here's one of my own at 150% vs 100% scaling. Notice how the vanilla version of GPU-Z is rendered properly and the rog version has some elements that don't scale properly. This is the kind of problems you can expect in a few programs.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.