Tablet Latop Options

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Graeth, Aug 16, 2021.

1. Graeth

Graeth Pen Pal - Newbie

Looking to replace my T902, saw that ConceptD and was interested until hearing the pen/panel was cheaped out on. Im looking for power.

1. What is your budget?
    Aiming around 2000 USD, would like to stay under 3000 USD

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    New and certified refurbished.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?

Most powerful I can get, Assuming thats going to be a Windows based tablet/notebook.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?

Open

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?

USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?

Minimal required bloatware

7. How many hours battery life do you require?

Open. 2nd bay battery would be nice, not sure thats still a thing though.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)

Able to handle 3d Modeling work while traveling. Able to draw/sculpt.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?

Im open but I don't think anything runs powerhouse programs but windows.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)

3S Studio Max, Zbrush, photoshop, Painter

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.

Yes but if it can run the modeling software it can run my games.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?

Not a deal breaker

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?

1600 x 900 or greater

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    Not a concern

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    I have the best experience with wacom but I understand there is variance between models. so am open.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?

User expandable on both would be great.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?

Really only USBs

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

Bay battery would be nice, or at least a user replaceable primary.

2. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, I am not entirely sure if this also the case for the more expensive models. Might want to double check the ConceptD 7 Ezel (Pro).

Few other laptop suggestions from the top of my head:

Samsung Galaxy Book Pro: 15" Wacom EMR pen support and Tigerlake / Intel 11th gen: very good battery, decent performance, very lightweight, not upgradable (only the SSDs, Mobieltechreview has good review on it), mediocre camera.

If you can live Ntrig (Microsoft devices are usually better with Ntrig than other laptop brands): the Surface Pro 7+ would be a good fit although it has only 1 usb-a and 1 usb-c port so an usb-c dock might be required (but those can be really cheap). In my Europe you can buy the Pro 7+ also at some consumer stores, although I am not sure if this is the case in the US too. There is also a new device coming from MS which will probably resemble the hinge from the Acer ConceptD Ezel line. And the Surface Pro 8 might also be interesting as a form factor upgrade for the Pro 7+ (screen a bit bigger).

As a side note I would buy a laptop that is marketed as compatible or is shipped with Windows 11 so you will not get driver issues when you upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11.

3. Graeth

Graeth Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, thank you for the info, the problem is I am left handed and their palm rejection is terrible. They have the power I want, but the screen being terrible basically nullifies any reason to get them.

daddyfish likes this.
  4. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, ah makes sense, in that case I think I would try my luck with either Samsung Galaxy Book Pro, maybe Surface Pro 8 / Book 4 or one of the business 2-1 laptops (Latitude, Thinkpad Yoga 6, maybe Elitebook). Lisa from Mobiletechreview has generally good reviews regarding pen support/behaviour on laptops.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  5. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Curious where you got this information from? Maybe you should surf the Concept D threads in the Acer forum as there are a few owners and you could ask them before you plunk money down especially if power is what you want.

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/forums/acer-gateway.7/

6. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Indeed!

The Concept D has Wacom EMR, so it really ought to be among the best of the best.

Palm rejection issues came up in one of Brad Colbow's reviews (about the new Samsung 2-in-1), and it turned out that he just didn't have the settings correct on the Windows 10 side. When he discovered that, he posted a correction video and an apology.

Maybe Gareth's info came from a similar mis-take?

daddyfish and doobiedoobiedum like this.
  7. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

OK, you're being a bit humble here.

I think I read you telling him about this on the thread as well as suggesting that he use professional software rather than base his test results on Medibang Paint-Pro.

I didn't read your correction to Brad as a telling off - I just felt pro artists need really good review channels and Brad (with his willingness to correct his mistakes) has really become one of the best review channels.

Anyhow yes, palm rejection can be a combination of factors - more likely software quality and OS settings rather than left/right handedness.

8. thatcomicsguy

Oooh. I forgot about that.

I sound off frequently enough that I lose track of which trees I've peed on. Plus YT comments get lost so immediately that it rarely matters. It's like hollering at the wind. Why bother? Except many of us do. Often.

(I love Brad. I wouldn't dream of telling him off. He's got the stuff necessary to have a successful channel, and you can't be right all the time.)

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  9. Graeth

Graeth Pen Pal - Newbie

In general review searching, found a fellow lefty:

We make up less than 10% of the population so we are usually ignored. "Oh you're wrong." "No, you screwed up" "Oh just learn to be a righty" etc.

10. thatcomicsguy

Windows 10 has a setting in the hand writing section for the user to choose Right or Left handed input. I don't know exactly what that does, or if it addresses your concerns, but it might be worth considering.

Unlike the old days of tablets, a lot of the touch/pen driver responsibility is offloaded to Windows for management.