Tablet huh?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by minty, Aug 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minty

minty Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm amazed that some of you can take a look at the tablet in a store before buying it... :eek:

When I got to a store to order my tablet, the salesperson actually took the liberty to show me some other models with the same processor and much cheaper. :rolleyes:
    When I said for the third time that it would not be a tablet then, it actually came through to him that i was saying something that had a meaning.

After he placed my order he asked me: "so it's a notebook with a screen where you can write on then?" with a look that said he really didn't know that existed (like: :confused: ) ...

And that's a professional salesperson from a modern and big pc-store company. :rolleyes: One of the few pc stores in belgium that actually have the opportunity to order a tablet....

and to say it's already 5 years that windows xp tablet came out... you should expect the so called hardware-experts they hire in that store, to know what sort of things there are in the market. :p

2. DrNick664

DrNick664 Scribbler - Standard Member

yeah... I go to best buy and some times i end up helping the customers. They mean well its just that sometimes they don't know...

3. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

PC World staff in the UK are notorious for their lack of knowledge.

Anyone with a half-amount of knowledge in computing try to avoid them like the plague.

4. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

my local bestbuy knows about tablets but they don't stock them because people are stupid and turn the hinge the wrong way even when there is a sign demonstrating the direction. The sales guy said they wouldn't just nudge it, they would turn so hard the screen would come off. I didnt' blame him and told him he was a brave man for working at bestbuy.

5. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The only sales people I've met who have any sort of knowledge about tablet PC usage are the ones at my university computer store, and the Fujitsu reps that are sent down there every year for the student PC fair (and not including FSC, of course).

The rest of retail sales reps I meet know how to control the cursor with the pen and... that's it. They know how to draw in Journal, but not how to manipulate ink -_-

6. Maria_Andretti

Maria_Andretti Pen Pal - Newbie

I was at an Office Max looking at backpacks/cases and ended up helping out a guy looking at their laptops. They actually had a laptop there that swiveled like a tablet, but didn't have a touch screen of any type; it was just set up to swivel for presentation usage. I was like ??!

Anyway, this guy thought that was the most awesome thing, and I had to explain to him that there are tablets out there that actually do MORE than that, and he was all amazed. LOL.

Then the store rep came over and tried to sell him some underpowered thing that would barely run Vista, and I walked off. Salespeople hate it when you correct them, but it's fun sport at times.

7. IMNOTDRPHIL

IMNOTDRPHIL Pen Pal - Newbie

There are some tablets that have 180-degree hinges, such as Fujitsu and newer Gateway units. One of my friends has a Toshiba tablet that is a one-way hinge and it has a pretty clear little diagram at the base of the hinge demonstrating turning directions. It shouldn't be hard to not turn it the wrong way, but some people are just that oblivious.

Tablets are still new enough and rare enough that they are an unknown quantity to many people. Couple that with the fact that most are convertibles and look enough like a standard notebook to most people and you can see how they would get confused.

8. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

when I was looking, Best Buy guy said they stopped selling Tablet months before bacause they weren't big sellers. Now I see the Gateway C-120X is being sold on their website and available in stores!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.