Tablet for Windows Connect & Android Emulation

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Starlight5, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Starlight5

Starlight5 I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?
    I would prefer to keep it within $600; cheaper is better, would be great if I can get away spending $300 or less.

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Sure.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    I am leaning towards a tablet with detachable keyboard dock (which I will use very rarely if at all), or a standalone tablet

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    Anything iPad-sized (9.7") or bigger

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from?
    eBay

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    I like Thinkpads.

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    6 at least

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet?
    1. Secondary wireless monitor via Windows Connect feature (802.11ac 2x2 adapter is a must!)
    2. Android emulation (to run TouchOSC)

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    Windows only, I believe. I am not aware of any Android or iOS app that provides as good wireless monitor experience as Windows Connect does. I will consider Android/iOS if someone proves me wrong.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    Mentioned above.

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    Not likely.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    If the device costs $500 or more, I would expect it to either come with WiGiG, or have a CPU that supports WiGiG combined with a reasonably accessible WLAN slot which can accept Intel 18260/18265 card.

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    FHD or higher.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    300 cd/m2 display at the very least.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    If the device costs $400 or more, it should have a pen. Otherwise, not a deal-breaker.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    I would prefer 8GB+ memory and replaceable SSD, but will settle for 4GB RAM and 64GB storage if the device is cheap.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    Don't care about wired inputs. Charging port should be reliable and that's it.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
    It needs to be thin&light, 1kg tops - and reasonably well-built and reliable, since it will be a working tool.

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    If the device costs $400 or above, I expect it to have a fingerprint reader & TPM. LTE never hurts.

Devices I considered so far:

* HP Elite X2 1012 G1
    + TPM, FP, WiGiG-upgradeable, LTE
    + Wacom AES pen
    - idle battery drain is pretty much a deal-breaker, unless it's fixed

* Surface 3
    + bright 3:2 display
    + very compact & light
    + cheap - so I can forgive lack of enterprise features
    - questionable CPU performance - will it be enough for smooth Android emulation?
    - battery replacement is hard and requires expensive tools

* Thinkpad Yoga 260
    - weights above 1kg
    - battery life
    - very limited power bank support
    - getting second one is somewhat boring
    + great otherwise

* Toshiba z20t-b
    - weights above 1kg
    - pricey
    - low probability of WiGiG upgrade
    +++ battery life