Tablet for note taking

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by ytmftwr, Jan 26, 2018.

1. ytmftwr

ytmftwr Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all,

I'm in University, and I need a tablet for note taking. I

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?
    $500
    2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Yes

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Unsure
    4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    • 10 to 13-inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    Canada
    6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    No
    7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    minimum 6

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Not taking, some spreadsheets

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?

Windows

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)

Microsoft office, Minitab

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    none
    12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    no
    Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    no
    2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    no
    3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

Yes, I don't know about the pressure sensitivity, as long as it is accurate.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    64 gb, expendable memory would be nice

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    Does not really matter. No need for HDMI

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

I'm ok with just an onscreen keyboard. The most important thing is that it comes with a stylus that offers reasonable accuracy for writing mathematical equations, diagrams, and other things that need to be written with a pen.

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

I've looked at Cube iWork 11 and Cube mix plus, but I don't know if I feel comfortable ordering such an expensive product from China with no support, has anyone had experience with them?

2. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

3. ytmftwr

ytmftwr Pen Pal - Newbie

4. jnjroach

They are pretty equivalent at that level - the Samsung has a smaller screen. There is a huge thread for owners of the Samsung Tablet in the Samsung section this site.

The SP4 comes with a Surface Pen but the Type Cover is extra...

5. ytmftwr

ytmftwr Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh, I've just noticed that, and they also have a refurbished keyboard for the SP4. I've only had experience with Apple refurbished products, are Microsoft's refurbished as good as new?

6. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

7. jnjroach

The ones I've used seem to be as a good as new.

Yes -

upload_2018-1-28_16-30-53.png

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  8. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I'd look for a used or refurbished Toshiba z20t or if you can stretch your budget a little a new Samsung Galaxy Book 10.6. Best Buy has an open box model going for a $535 right now, comes with the keyboard & superior :p pen.

I might be inclined to look out of there were any refurbished 12" SGB's available too.

WillAdams and jnjroach like this.
  9. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I know I'm supposed to create an ad for this, but I happen to have a Z20t, 8GB/256GB in good condition and I just decided to sell it. (I had purchased it for my daughter and she turned "Mac" on me! I have one of my own as well.) I hadn't determined a price, but I can do $400 if you are interested. PM me if so. I will be placing an ad in this forum but wasn't quite ready. The people in this forum know me pretty well, I can get direct references from several if you would like that. There's a lot to recommend the Z20t vs. SP4 or GB 10.6, (battery life over 10 hrs, Wacom EMR best digitizer/pens by far, clamshell laptop but can separate screen/tablet from keyboard base, tons of ports, but you don't seem to value that) and some disadvantages, primarily vs. SP4 (screen is FHD only - but is matte finish, so no reflections - audio is not very good, not as slick in appearance (it's a business class model, so very sturdy and easy to maintain, but not a "looker") that's about it. If you're interested, I'll be glad to send pictures, spec sheets. I believe DR Tigerlilly knows the device well too.

Jeff Bellin (and yes, I do [lovelaptops] - I own 7 at present, really need to sell several!)

Actually, now that i think of it, I also have a Surface Pro 3 in superb condition, basically brand new and with Microsoft Complete warranty through 10/2019. It's a base model: 4GB/128GB Core i5. I got it as a wtty replacement for a defective one from MS this past summer and they gave me a new unit with a 90 day warranty, then I purchased the complete on top of that, which extended it to 2 years + 90 days. It comes with keyboard and pen, also in mint condition. I don't really have a need for it, though ironically, I also have another one of these, but it is not so new or under wtty. I would sell the Surface Pro 3 for $400 as well. Let me know.

This is just serendipity that I checked in with this thread, as I often do on TPCR.com, and literally on the day I decided I really have to sell a couple of tablet PC's I own (7 in all!), there's your post looking for 2 of mine! Again, please pm me if you're interested. Jeff Bellin

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  10. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

I've been using a Cube i7 book for a year now and it's working perfectly fine.
    For your particular application, I would look into the iwork11 assuming the Atom CPU can handle your Minitab requirement, it should handle Office easily. The iwork11 should get you to the six hour battery life requirement. My i7 book only gets about 4 1/2 hours, and I'm assuming the Mix Plus would be similar. Plus the iwork is selling for around $200 nowadays.