Tablet for Med Student--patient notes, charting software

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by smellon, Mar 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smellon

smellon Pen Pal - Newbie

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?
    I would like to keep my budget around 500-600$. But I can add a little if needed.

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    I would prefer new.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    It must be Windows 8 (not RT), because this is most likely to support any charting or other software I might need.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    Approximately 7.1-10

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    Arkansas, USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    I would like to avoid brands like HP, but no other real dislikes.

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    The tablet will be in light use most of the day--so at least 8 hours of light use is best.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Email, Note-taking, and internet work.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    Windows 8 please.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    Mostly google chrome, Microsoft office, note taking software.

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    No.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    Possibly? I have WiDi already at my apartment.

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    Not really. I like 1080 but I don't know if that may be too high res for the screen size.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    No, but I generally prefer matte screens if possible. Not a big deal, 90% use will be in-doors.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    Yes, I really need a pen/stylus. One that is good for taking notes.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    64GB is probably best.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    Don't really require any.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

Thanks everyone!!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  2. jamestkirk

jamestkirk Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm in the exact same boat. Been looking at surface pro (heavy, poor battery life) or the thinkpad tablet 2 (lighter, 10 hr battery, but older Atom processor which is in most cases going to be good enough for our use)

One other option is the Asus vivotab Note 8 (smaller 8in screen and battery that lasts anywhere from 5-8 hrs, but newer/faster version of Atom processor)

I am honestly patiently waiting for a thinkpad tablet 3 or something with a larger screen, long battery life and newer processor, but I might just bite on the Asus vivotab 8 for $300 at Buy ASUS VivoTab Note 8 M80T Touchscreen Tablet - 32GB - Microsoft Store

Decent deal plus tax. Newegg has the same for $330

3. smellon

smellon Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm glad I'm not the only one lol. I went to BestBuy the other day to look around and get a feel for sizes and things. The Windows and Asus tablets had a really nice feel to them but I didn't care much for the Lenovo thinkpad 2. It had a curved silver back like the old iphones.

I was incredibly impressed by their ability to recognize my handwriting. Even with chicken-scratch they were right ~75% of the time (even just using my finger and not a stylus).

I'm still on the fence about 8in or 10in.. 8in. seemed right weight-wise but felt subjectively too small? 10in. felt better but it was just slightly too heavy.

Full windows 8 is definitely still a MUST-HAVE though. It's pretty incredible what these little Atoms can do :D

4. carusodan

carusodan Pen Pal - Newbie

Some things to consider:

An 8" tablet will probably fit in the pocket of your white coat, making it a little easier to know where it is.

The 8" tablet will be less conspicuous when you are looking up 24 causes of fever +hemoptysis that the attending physician wants you to recite.

Bigger will be better if you have trouble reading your own handwriting (that would be me).

Electronic medical records have a wide variety of hardware+software requirements and an Atom-based tablet might not be enough. Your hospital/clinic will likely have an abundance of terminals to log in to the medical records. I wouldn't base my choice on this factor.

Good luck!
    Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.