Tablet for Marching Tech, and Couch web surfing

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by seruch, Nov 1, 2012.

1. seruch

seruch Pen Pal - Newbie

Primary uses are outside, must have capability to read PDF, in sunlight, and with light for night, and web surfing, when we're too lazy to pull that big, huge laptop (hey - it is a 17" wide-screen!) over to the sofa.
    See below inputs - thoughts are appreciated. The market has opened up quite a bit since the most recent update to "the exhaustive", and would appreciate opinions.

General Questions.
    1. Budget? 300 – 400 (US$) New; 250 to 350 Used / refurb
    2. Consider purchasing used/refurbished? Yes, per above
    3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible? Not sure. Primary use form factor is slate-type tablet, with option to connect keyboard when needed.
    4. What size would you prefer? 8 to 10.25 inches
    5. Which country do you intent to purchase from? US
    6. Preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes? Would like to avoid the lesser knowns (such as AGPTek, Coby, Kocaso, Pandigital) – sticking with the key hardware players – Samsung, MS, Asus, Lenova, Toshiba, Panasonic, Acer, Fuji, Apple, etc
    7. Hours battery life? 6 to 8 is sufficient.
    8. Primary usage scenario of this tablet? Following order: Web use; Ability to read Adobe PDF (in sunlight) (with annotating ability); Email (using Outlook on WinPC’s as primary, but must coordinate well with that); Software to read music files and display (perhaps Adobe, but would prefer a more dedicated music reader).
    9. OS preference? No OS preference, other than what will handle usages above. Phones and PC’s in the house are a mix of WinPC, iOS, MountainLion, Android.
    10. Software / tasks intend to run? Unknown at this time, but see question 8 above.
    11. Do you intend on playing Games? Don’t intend on it, but will likely download something to while away the downtime. But not WOW; likely along the lines of Angry Birds, Sudoku, etc. That, or reading books.
    12. Stream content through your home theater system? No. I’ve other ways to do that.

Screen Specifics
    1. Preference on screen resolution? Minimum 720, prefer 1080.
    2. Using the tablet outdoors? Need to be able to see it through glare from the sun? ABSOLUTELY – One of the main uses will be outdoors.
    3. Require a pen? Pressure sensitivity? Prefer Wacom or N-trig?Will want multi-touch, and capability to use stylus. Non-pressure sensitive should be OK.

Component Specifics
    1. What Hard Drive & Memory do you require? Expandable memory? Size unknown yet, but would like card slot for ability to expand.
    2. What inputs do you require - full-sized USB and SD slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? HDMI inputs? Don’t know why I would need full size – Micro USB and SD would likely cover needs, but I will want to have the option of adding a keyboard. Depending upon brand / model, that might be a dock with dedicated connection – but keyboard connect-ability is a desire. Primary use would be as slate, but desire the option to connect keyboard.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require? Nothing I can think of.
    2. Additional requests ~ anything other to consider? Nothing I can think of.

THANX!!!