Tablet for Graduate School

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Bronsky, Jul 7, 2021.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I have a daughter who will be studying Physiology this fall. She is interested in aquiring a tablet. I am assuming that an IPad Pro would be the obvious choice. Anybody want to make a case for Android and Samsung's Tab S8 Enterprise tablet? Oh, her notebook is an older Intel Macbook Air. Pen and LTE are must haves. I assume that the S8 will be 5G. Apple? Not so much?

nnthemperor likes this.
  2. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

What about a Surface Pro X with LTE?

nnthemperor and violajack like this.
  3. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

I second the Pro X. As I type this from my pro x sitting in the lobby watching my kids in gymnastics. Assuming she'd be wiling to switch to windows. But then you have computer and tablet. The slim pen is just as good as the iPad with pencil when it comes to handwriting for me. And it charges in the keyboard.

Bronsky and nnthemperor like this.
  4. dellaster

dellaster “Content Consuming Child” Senior Member

Phone brand? Smartwatch? Honestly, for something so important and personal I would ask her. Obviously an iPad will work best if she has an iPhone and prefers iOS apps, Samsung smartphone goes best with the Tab, and so on. Ecosystem often matters more than any hardware advantages or disadvantages.

5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

For graduate school what you need to pay close attention to is if the tablet can run any kind of sophisticated annotation software, like EndNote or Zotero. She will need to keep close attention to all her sourcematerial and they make it a cinch.

WillAdams likes this.
  6. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

I vote for staying in the ecosystem she prefers.

My only caveat, is if there is specific software in physiology lab work that necessitates a certain OS. I know for my particular field of engineering, the specialized software I used always had a Windows version, but Mac versions were hit or miss.

WillAdams likes this.
  7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

If her current Laptop is a Macbook, I would recommend she stay in the Apple camp. Like her Macbook paired with a Tab S7+ wouldn't be as well integrated compared to if she had an iPad.

Things like airdrop, logins and passwords being shared thru a single apple id, and the super useful Sidecar app which would allow her to use the iPad as a 2nd monitor will be lost if she used an Android tablet. (Duet Display in my opinion sucks and while Super Display is just as good as Sidecar, it only works with Windows devices.)

Also, keep in mind, as far as colleges and education goes, Apple has a very tight grip on that market. Even is she also opts to upgrade to a M1 Macbook too, I'm sure Apple Silicon will be far better supported over Windows on Arm. Since Apple has gone all in, colleges and grad schools will adapt to M1, WOA not a chance in hell. And the iPad is the default tablet, I'm sure she'll have no shortage of classmates/colleagues/professors using iPads as well. With the Tab S7+, she might be the only one rocking that.

Also recent rumors put the Tab S8 tablets delayed to 2022. But for either case, 3rd or 4th gen iPad Pros and Tab S7's are fully useable and I'd greatly recommend looking for refurbed or renewed. I've found on Amazon/Ebay deals for the Tab S7+ as low as $500 for mint condition, and my iPad Pro 12.9 is a 3rd gen I bought last year and B&H had a very attractive mark down on it at the time. So be sure to shop around before defaulting to the Apple store. But trust me, just let her get the iPad, she'll be happier with it.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Thanks everyone. I think that the IPad is the way to go as well. She uses all Apple stuff. In addition to the Macbook Air, she has an IPhone. She is comfortable with the software. Although she typically uses Google software, I think I want to talk her into trying MS Office on the Mac and IPad. With a pen and keyboard, she should be in good shape. Now the last question is, "what size IPad?"

dellaster likes this.
  9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Ordinarily I would suggest the 11-incher, but for use of Sidecar (which is my main use of the iPad Pro 12.9) the 12.9 inch iPad Pro is near equal in size to the 13-inch screen on the Macbook Air's screen with the only difference being the aspect ratio. But for using the iPad as 2nd monitor, its size is kind of perfect for that purpose. I bought my mother the latest iPad Air a few months ago, and I threw my Apple id on it, to see how using the smaller 10.9 screen would fair with Sidecar, it was still usable, but not as nice as the 12.9. If you think she'll actually use Sidecar, then I would go the 12.9 route.

Bronsky likes this.
  10. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Why?

A huge number of students - even those with iPhones - have personal gmail addresses and so are more familiar with Google Apps - and we don't have that many chromebooks in education here in the UK. Feature-for-Feature against TEAMS, Google apps work pretty well across different OS devices and I've found that some 365 features just aren't supported as well on iPads in particular. Even on my previous Macbook - writing notes in Word or Office Apps didn't always work when I attached a Wacom tablet to the Macbook. Certainly marking up docx or powerpoints with a stylus never worked as well as it did on a Windows machine. When you buy an Apple Pencil for your iPad, you're likely buying it for pressure sensitivity but MS on most Apple devices will give you lines drawn as if with a cheap capacative stylus.
    That includes the iPad.

**********EDIT AFTER TESTING AGAIN TODAY*************
    Apple pencil is now supported in Word on the iPad

**********END EDIT *************​

I think you need to see what VLE and software her grad school uses first anyway, if they are signed up with Office then that's what she will have to use to interact with online materials and if they use a proper, educational VLE then she's free to use whatever software she likes.

We are signed up with Microsoft but nearly all the tutors use alternatives with our classes - some even using Facebook groups / Pebblepad or even Google Classroom (that's the one I'm setting up this summer now the College Group has decided to kill our VLE and replace it with Office 365 Apps.)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    Bronsky likes this.