Tablet for doodling

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Grizzly Beard, Mar 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grizzly Beard

Grizzly Beard Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi there, I'm trying to help my girlfriend find a tablet, made the mistake of buying a W510 without realizing it does not have a digitizer and isn't pressure sensitive. I love the W510, but is not what she is looking for, so were looking for something closer to what she needs.

1. What is your budget?
    $800 absolute maximum, prefer closer to $600

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Absolutely

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    I'm looking for a windows tablet PC (not RT)

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    anywhere 7-13"

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    Canada eh

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    nope, if it works, it works

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    4? As much as I can get really but no big deal.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Web surfing, doodling, videos.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    Looking for a windows machine.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    Office, chrome, maybe photoshop or sketchbook

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    Just casual apps

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    No preference either way

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    Obviously the higher the better

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    Nice plus, but not necessary.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    Yes she wants a pen, and pressure sensitivity. She already has a wacom tablet, will that stylus work with any?

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    64GB, 32 If microSD or SD slot available

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    I require at least a way of getting a full size USB (the W510 comes with an adaptor for micro to fullsize, I like that)
    Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
    I really just need to know the cheapest non RT windows machine that can take a wacom pen and is pressure sensitive. Any help is much appreciated. I am looking at the thinkpad 2 but it doesnt seem to have a USB slot...

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

There are right now a bunch of off lease HP 2730p machines on eBay for between $100 - $250. -And many of them ship from Vancouver, BC, so customs wouldn't be a problem.

They're gorgeous. 12" screens, stylus enabled, decent processors for their age, (they'll run basic art software of the Photoshop variety well), and they're very well put together. I'd get one myself to replace a netbook I gave up to a friend's dad for travel, but I just can't justify the purchase since I'm saving my pennies for a book project. Maybe in another couple of months. . . sigh.

With your budget, you could look for something even better, but honestly, these machines are great. (I got to play with one last week. The handwriting recognition in Win 7 is amazing, if that's something which would interest your SO.)

The only possible drawback is that they don't have capacitive touch screens; that is, they don't respond to fingers, just the pen. For me, that's irrelevant, but that might not impress on your end.

3. watchdog

watchdog Scribbler - Standard Member

My experience has been limited but, the HP slate might be a good choice if you dont mind the N-trig pen. there is also the ATIV series. I have the 500t which I think works well enough. You might look at the higher-end products in that line as well as the Surface pro.

4. meow9th

meow9th Scribbler - Standard Member

Short answer: yes. Long answer: the specific functions (eraser, pressure sensitivity) may depend on driver support, etc. But the pen will register no matter (it's just this little metal loop inside the pen, and as far as I'm aware, that hasn't changed in forever.)

I also just want to put a plug in for the X61t. I have the 1400 by 1050 model, and wow ... nothing at 12" and higher has that kind of PPI anymore. It's beautiful, it really is, and completely spoiled me so that now I won't even consider a tablet/laptop without 1600 by 900 or higher. It's got a Wacom digitizer, and I never noticed any issues with using it at all, so I suspect it should be fine for artists.

The X61t is pretty old, I bet you could get one within your budget easily. It's got Core 2 Duo, so perfectly adequate for casual use. It won't be as snappy as Core i5 running Win 8, but it still feels a million times faster than an Atom. And you could upgrade it with an SSD, too.

*wistfully* If it hadn't broken, and if it weren't so heavy, I'd still be carrying mine around now, loving that PPI.

5. Grizzly Beard

Thanks for the replies. She does want something that can take touch input as well, so right now we're leaning towards the HP slate. Any particular model other than 500t that stands out? And does anyone know if they have a model that works for wacom?

6. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Just to be clear, what kind of Wacom tablet are we talking about? If it's an Intuos/Bamboo/Graphire type tablet, where you plug it in and it doesn't have a built-in screen, than no, that pen will NOT work on any tablet pc.

I'd strongly recommend against getting the HP Slate. It's got an earlier version of Ntrig that's a pain to work with if you're trying to draw.

I second the HP 2370p. If you don't want a keyboard, maybe the Asus EP121 (or B121) would work.

7. Grizzly Beard

The EP 121 looks perfect, I believe she ordered one last night. Thanks for all the input everyone, you were all incredibly helpful. I imagine if I want I could load windows 8 on there for her and everything will still work correctly?

8. meow9th

meow9th Scribbler - Standard Member

Unless Win 8 poops on you because of fancy security features, I don't see why you couldn't upgrade. At the same time, I would advise you to make a copy/backup/restore just in case it doesn't work out. (You could just buy a new SSD or HDD for Win 8 :D and keep the old Win 7 one around.)

I would also do research on EP121 and Win 8 specifically in case there are any missing drivers etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.