Tablet for CAD uses ?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by berengsek, Aug 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berengsek

berengsek Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all !

I'm looking for a tablet to replace my aging notebook (Acer Travelmate 4503WLCi).

The one that I'm aiming for is Fujitsu T4220U/N, since I could get student discount for that.

I'm an architect, so my everyday uses would include AutoCAD 2008, Adobe CS3 Web Premium, Revit, SkecthUp, and 3DStudioMax.

I know it's a lot to ask from a tablet pc with an integrated graphic, but please note that I would only be using the tablet as a modelling tools. I can do all the extensive photo-rendering on my Macbook Pro @home, which has better graphics.

Right now I'm looking for a tablet because it'd be easier to carry around compared to Macbook Pro or Acer, both of which is a bulky 15.4".

My previous laptop is quite zippy in modelling in CAD/Max and can handle 600Mb Photoshop files quite easily. It only has a Pentium M 735 1.7Ghz, 1 Gb of RAM, and a 64 Mb ATi Radeon 9700. A moderate graphic notebook and yet I'm satisfied with the performance.

So, my question is : can T4220 with an integrated graphic match my previous notebook in term of graphic power ?

Here's the compulsory questions :

1. What is your budget? Around $1500 - $2000

2. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)? Convertible

3. What size Tablet PC would you prefer? Mainstream ~ 12.1"

4. Which country do you intent to purchase from? Singapore

5. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes? None

6. How many hours battery life do you require? min. 4 hours

7. What do you intend to use the Tablet for? Mostly to draw on CAD or Photoshop

8. Do you have an OS preference? Windows XP or Vista

9. What software and tasks do you intend to run? AutoCAD, Adobe Web, 3DStudioMax

10. Do you intend playing Games. If so please list. No

Screen Specifics

1. Do you prefer standard or widescreen? Both is okay

2. What resolution do you prefer? SXGA - 1400x1050 ~ Small text and graphic icons which require good vision but the gain is a much larger screen.

3. Do you require an Indoor only or Indoor/Outdoor screen option? Indoor/Outdor

4. Do you require a Passive or Active Digitizer? Active

5. Do you require Wacom or Finepoint Technology? Wacom

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? 120 Gb HDD, 2Gb RAM

2. Do you require an Optical Drive? Yes

3. Do you require ability to add a second Battery or Hard Drive (Modular Bay technology)? Yes

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above? None

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration? Mainly the ability to run and model in 3DStudioMax

I don't know if anybody have the same experience or if this have been discussed before. If so, please point me to the right thread.

Thanks you guys..

2. deejay

deejay Pen Pal - Newbie

for 12.1"... You can choose:

The Fujitsu's T4220 (It's the most powerful out there)
    The Lenovo's X61 (Lightest and not much less powerful [just an L processor])
    or you can wait for the ASUS R1E wich will have a bigger screen (13.3") and probably be in par with fujitsu's performance.

I don't recall any others..you may try to look at the Gateway with dedicated graphics, but I think it's 14.4" and I don't know if they sell to Singapore

3. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Graphics comparison

The X3100 outclasses the aged Radeon 9700, but still won't be enough for hardcore gaming if that's what you have in mind.

If you're buying in Singapore the T4220 is pretty much the only bet you have. Neither the HP nor X61 seem to be available except through select dealers (which I have not found yet), and the Gateway is clearly out of the question. Everywhere I go I see only T4220s and P1610s, at a price that'll probably make you think twice. If you can get it at a student price through your polytechnic or university I say go for it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. deejay

deejay Pen Pal - Newbie

luckily he won't play, he just needs to render 3d :)

5. billycat

billycat Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, I see that now...

Seems the 9700 has higher scores in 3DMark 01-05 but a lower score in 06... I have no experience with 3DMark benchmarks so I don't really know the implications of this observation though.

In any case, M.Radeon 9700 is classed as class 3 while X3100 is class 5.

X3100 has 2X pixel shaders (8) but 0.5X vertex shaders (1) compared to the 9700. I guess the 9700 is still the better card for 3D applications, but the X3100 should suffice for most purposes, and shouldn't be too much of a letdown. I'd still prefer it over a GMA950 anyday, heh.

7. gil-galad

gil-galad Pen Pal - Newbie

The X3100 will probably be all right but it will have its problems with high complexity scenes. And, of course, it's not certified for use with 3dsmax, but then again, neither is your old 9700.

Another thing, you'll absolutely want at least 2GB of memory, if not more, for the applications you're using. (you should get third-party RAM though, instead of getting it preinstalled because that's much cheaper)

8. berengsek

berengsek Pen Pal - Newbie

Haha.. Actually I only need it to be powerful enough to 'model' 3D. The rendering part I'd do on a Macbook Pro, which I'm sure is more sufficient than Fujitsu.

Although it would be nice to be able to render directly on the tablet...

Would higher RAM allows me to do that ?

Thanks for the link, it really helped a lot !

Yeah, I can see the comparison quite well now. Class 3 is actually ranked higher than class 5, so I can't hope to have the performance, graphic-wise, of my old 9700.

In a clear sense, I should be making the upgrade from 9700 to a card that's in class 1. But that would mean bigger and bulkier unit. I've had enough of those. I travel a lot, as a grad-student and as an architect, so heavy laptops is such a burden for me. I'd only need to model while I'm on the road because you can't really render a scene properly on a battery anyway.. Those processes could take at least 3 solid hours of extensive CPU.

Yeah, I can imagine now my old 9700 screaming in pain as it painfully render 3dsmax, haha..

The thing is, there's only a few of mobile graphic cards certified with 3dsmax and it would cost a fortune and weigh propably a ton !

So, beggars can't be chooser, right ?

I'd have to make do with what I have.

And thanks for the suggestion. Going for at least 2Gb is also my plan..

Anybody knows anyone who's had experiences or witness the use of graphic extensive application (photoshop, 3dsmax) in T4220 ?

Please share the knowledge, thanks !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.