tablet for artists

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Frank Reid, Aug 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emma

emma Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello - Im new to this site - what a great find!

Im an artist and from what I can see of Tablets, my needs arent currently being catered for -

I am DESPERATE for a tablet pc. What I NEEEEDDDD is a 14 inch screen (minimum) dedicated tablet - I really dont need a keyboard at all - from what I can gather from my research on the net - the only tablets with 14 inch screens are convertible models - I dont need all that bulk and weight- I just want a LARGE SCREEN

Can anyone help?

Thanks - Happy New Year
    Emma :)

2. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hi Emma,

I think you might have a difficult time finding just what you are looking for at this point. You are not alone in what you seek. There are a lot of users who desire a compact and lightweight Tablet with a larger display. I think we will see this as more demand arises for this combination. For now its a game of give and take. For a larger display, the penalty is weight. For a compact and light slate, well it seems that you are only going to find a smaller display. I would recommend either going for the Toshiba M4 with its large screen and excellent processing and video. Yes you will bare some extra lbs., but this machine will pay you back in spades when it comes to rendering tasks and video intensive applications.

3. Daring

Daring Moderator

Is there a particular reason you must have a 14" screen? There are several slates with smaller screens that have awesome screens and battery life and weigh quite a bit less then the Toshiba.

4. emma

emma Pen Pal - Newbie

thanks for your help guys -

Ive had a bit of a re-think - Im happy to go with a 12" screen as I really want a dedicated tablet (this thing is intended to be a high tech sketchook). I'll be using photoshop quite intensively - having a lot of high res images open at once, so the processor will have to be able to keep up.

Heres a list of things that are important - many thanks in advance to you kind people for helping me to choose the right tablet - HAPPY NEW YEAR xxx Emma

- Im left handed
    - high resolution, view anywhere screen (will be working outdoors)
    - pressure sensitive (got to have variable line thickness)
    - fast processor speed & lots of ram
    - paper like writing surface (no good to go 'iceskating' across screen with the pen!)
    - comfortable, well designed pen
    - runs cool & battery life
    - G3 card available for it (need mobile internet)

- if anyone wants to see the type of work I do - please visit - www.emmaparrish.com

Thanks so much in anticipation of your help and support - I hope to be able to return the compliment one day soon x

5. Living Global

Living Global Pen Pal - Newbie

I am an Architect and designer and i am like you looking for a light tablet I can take around to do some sketches and edit CAD drawings so I am very interested in this post for any input since most tablets are marketed to business people or doctors, when tablet are the dream machines for our design industry. I have the money ready to spend on the right machine. Please help.
    I was looking at motion computing 1600 and electrovaya 3000 premium, what do you think?

6. emma

emma Pen Pal - Newbie

Living global: I was looking at motion computing 1600 and electrovaya 3000 premium, what do you think?

Hi - I think you should have a look at the Fujitsu ST5000 Series- from my (intensive) research over the last few weeks it would seem a popular choice!

Here's Barry's review of it - http://www.tabletpcreview.com/default.asp?newsID=220

this site has a good quick view comarison which might help (or confuse you still further!!) - http://www.doubt.it/

The more I know the less I understand!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. Metaformer

Metaformer Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm an industrial designer and I use an M4 running Alias Sketchbook Pro and CAD. I love being abke to sketch in my emails and mark notes on pictures...great for fast communication/editing/iterations of ideas. M4 has a good graphics card.

8. zark2.7

zark2.7 Pen Pal - Newbie

These are exactly me feelings- I have been researching pure slate tablets for a long time now (convertibles are not my line), and the more I search, the more I am confused ! I have been comparing ST5032, LE1600 and SC3100 and the more I look the more I cant decide ! I have finally started a new thread under Hardware hoping for people to contribute from their experiences with these tablets.

9. Living Global

Living Global Pen Pal - Newbie

Frankly I have decided to wait for a coreduo tablet, the toshiba m400 looks good, but i am concerned about the practicality of a convertible to draw weight on arm or thickeness on table.
    I check here allmost daily for info but havent seen anything yet that makes me want to plunge

10. alnahdi2006

alnahdi2006 Pen Pal - Newbie

ALL

PLEASE I NEED USED TABLET WITH GRAPHICS CARD AND DVD MULTI R\W

SEND TO ME PRICE WITH FULL DETAILS AND PHOTOS.

MY EMAIL: morjanmontag@hotmail.com
    morjanmontag@gmail.com

mobile: 00966 508360524
    fax: 00966 2 6725562
    Attn. Mr. Abdulmohssen Al nahdi

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.