Tablet for All Things Art

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by DommiArt, Dec 16, 2017.

1. DommiArt

DommiArt Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello. I have been looking around for a new Tablet PC to keep up with my workflow. I am in my last year of college, and will be working in the gaming industry as a concept artist. I want to be able to take my work home if needed, but I will mainly be using it for my own projects.

I want a PC that will be able to handle most of what I can throw at it with general ease, however I understand the limitations of a laptop. I am familiar with convertible laptops and have previously owned a HP TM2 and currently own a Lenovo X230T. I have tested the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 and was less than impressed. My current laptop can actually handle most things quite well, but I know that I could do much better and have had many issues with it lately now that it is out of warranty.

Ideally I would like the computer to be able to handle at the very least Photoshop, Maya, and Zbrush at the same time without complaining. I was eyeing the Fujitsu T937, but some of the reviews made me less than excited. The Wacom Mobile Studio Pro 16 also looks quite nice, but I really would prefer something more akin to an actual laptop than a tablet if possible.

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?
    Unlimited.

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    No.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Swivel Convertible

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    • 5 to7-inches
    • 7.1 to 10-inches
    • 10 to 13-inches
    • Above 13-inches
    As large as possible, but I will sacrifice size for power/ functionality.

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    As long as they have good customer service and warranty packages, I could care less.
    Kinda anti-Lenovo right now as I had a super bad experience with them involving my current laptop.

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    At least 4 on maximum output.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Art. Both 2D and 3D. It needs to be ergonomic to comfortably draw at for hours on end.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    Windows.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    Adobe Photoshop, Clip Studio, Autodesk Maya, Zbrush, Substance Painter, Unreal, etc.

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    I'm a console girl.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    Would be nice, but not super important.

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    At least 1080.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    Occasionally, but I am willing to sacrifice outdoor readability if needed.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    Pen with pressure sensitivity is a must. I have mainly used EMR, but I am open to change.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    512 GB or above. At least 16GB RAM, expandable would be nice.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    USB and SD required, HDMI would be nice.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
    Portability. I also am wary of consumer models as they tend to not fit my needs.

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    Add ons are always fun.
    No screen bleed!!! It is my biggest pet peeve.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  2. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sounds like you want a 15" dGPU enabled convertible with pen input. I'd say the Samsung Notebbok 9 Pro with a i7-8550U / Radeon 540 would suit your needs quite well.

Currently on sale at Best Buy for $1249. Very nice machine, tempted to get one myself.

Another option if you'd like a 4K screen and don't mind Wacom AES, is the Lenovo Yoga 720. Also on sale at Best Buy for $1299. :)

surfaceproartist likes this.
  3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I agree with Marty’s two recommendations and if your budget truly is unlimited I think you’ll find a lot to like about the Surface Book 2 15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For an unlimited budget.....look at the HP Zbook X2......its got Express Keys built into the bezel, Wacom EMR.....and its the only Tablet PC on the market currently that can be configured for 32GB of Ram, every other penabled device maxes at 16GB.

5. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

But only 7th gen U series processors at the “low” end! And Quadro GPU is sure to be slower than GTX 1060 or Radeon 540.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. darkmagistric

8th gen Zbooks will be coming soon enough I hope. But in same turn the Surface Book 2 is also at the low end with its own 15w cores. The Quadro GPU is indeed disappointing....but at least you get 2 Thunderbolt 3 USB-C ports so the possibility of E-GPUs is at least an option. The Zbooks ports are at least a sufficient trade off.

7. DommiArt

DommiArt Pen Pal - Newbie

I previously looked at the Notebook Pro and the Yoga, and ruled them out. Too consumer and not really made for my level workflow, in my opinion.
    I looked at the Surface Book 2, and was a little disappointed with it. Not really a fan of how you have to disconnect and reconnect the screen to flip it around in tablet mode. Seems like an accident waiting to happen, even though I like that it can actually stand up on its own. I am also assuming that the tech is similar to the Surface Pro 4 in terms of pen input, and I am personally not a big fan of how jittery they are.

However, that Zbook with all the goodies is very tempting. It has everything I like about the Wacom Mobile Studio and fixes the lack of kickstand and keyboard. I wish they had the ability to stand up on their own without a kickstand, but I guess that's how things are going. I guess I will have to wait for it to drop to see how it actually handles. It seems the Wacom has the best handling in terms of actual drawing right now, which is really the biggest thing for me in the end. If Zbook can equal or best that, it looks like my machine.

8. darkmagistric

Yep....its probably more on par with the nSP (SP5) spec wise....but I've played with the Pro4/nSP/Book 2 plenty at Bestbuys and Microsoft Stores. They all feel the exact same to me from a drawing perspective.....despite the spec increases.
    As far as the Zbook.....Equal performance to the Mobile Studio Pro is pretty much what everyone is hoping for. I have the Mobile Studio Pro 13, and the smaller 10.6 Samsung Galaxy Book and honestly the EMR Spen tech used in my Galaxy Book as is, is pretty much as good as my MSP13. Provided the Z-Book is also using the S-pen flavor of EMR.....It should do as we all hope.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  9. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Z Brush really seems to need 32GB RAM for high detail modeling. 16GB seems to be llimiting from talking to my Zbrush expert friends.

As for jumping through the hoops to secure an EMR based device, I think its gonna limit you. Also, 8550u is gonna choke a bit when ZB is foing its extended polymesh thingy.

I personally think you need to track down the "16GB onboard" RAM version of Lenovo Yoga 720 from their website. It's the one with 1TB SSD and 4K display for $1500. Then shove in another 16GB RAM and go to town on your work with a beefy 7700HQ i7.