Tablet For a Artist

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by lavenderpup, Oct 27, 2007.

1. aussiedeza

aussiedeza Scribbler - Standard Member

My main concern is how much levels of pressure the tablet can pick up so from what i have read so far max you can get on tablet is 512 levels?? how do you this from looking at the stats ??
    General Questions.

1. What is your budget?
    ill spend what it takes to get best machine for the job. may even wait a few months if a better model is know that is coming out

2. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)?
    Slates look great and i like the idea of less weight, but i think i would want the extra power in a convertible

3. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?

* Small and light ~ 5" to 8.9"
    * Compact ~ 10"
    * Mainstream ~ 12.1"
    * Large ~ 14"
    14" or closest to

4. Which country do you intent to purchase from?
    Australia but don't mind shipping it here from anywhere

5. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    Nope
    6. How many hours battery life do you require?
    good 4-5 hours i would probly buy a second battery anyway
    7. What do you intend to use the Tablet for?
    Painting and sketching in
    Photoshop cs2 and Painter X

8. Do you have an OS preference?
    Windows, Im not a fan of Mac

9. What software and tasks do you intend to run?
    Photoshop cs2 and Painter X
    10. Do you intend playing Games. If so please list.
    Yea i probly would when i a spare chance

Screen Specifics

1. Do you prefer standard or widescreen?
    Widescreen
    2. What resolution do you prefer?

* XGA - 1024x768 ~ Large and easy to read text and graphic icons but you fit less on the screen.
    * SXGA - 1400x1050 ~ Small text and graphic icons which require good vision but the gain is a much larger screen.
    * WXGA - 1280x768 ~ Wider viewing angle of XGA but ideal for viewing Spreadsheets and other programs that require desktop space.

Looks like you get more drawing space on WXGA so most likely that second choice would be SXGA.

3. Do you require an Indoor only or Indoor/Outdoor screen option?
    See explanation below for guidance.
    Mainly indoor but the option of both would be great

4. Do you require a Passive or Active Digitizer?
    Active with as much Levels of pressure possible

5. Do you require Wacom or Finepoint Technology?
    Yes

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require?
    Bigger the better
    2. Do you require an Optical Drive?
    Not sure is it better to go with out? i can just use a usb drive i guess

3. Do you require ability to add a second Battery or Hard Drive (Modular Bay technology)?

would like a spare batter if thats what this question implies?
    Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    Did i mention the levels of pressure thing??

2. lavenderpup

lavenderpup T4220 Owner

Sure can't get Gateways in Australia so there's not much that can be done there.. =( Can't even buy it internationally unless you travel there. That would have been the closest.
    Other 14" include Toshibas M7 or R25 but they're old now and the newest ones are all 12.1".
    I suppose there's the Asus 13.3" R1E that's out soonish although their battery life deterioration like that of the R1F is still undocumented I believe?
    The other two contenders are the Fujitsu T2010, T4220 and the Lenovo X61T. Fujitsu allows for a swappable extra battery/optical drive (T4220) and comes in WXGA and SXGA.

The 512 levels of pressure happens to be in the modbook that isn't even out yet and happens to be a mac.. although there isn't much diff between 512 and 256 levels of pressure apparently. And from the tablets I've used in the past compared to my T4220's 256, the pressure recognition at 1024 compared to 256 isn't all that different either.

Guess you'll have to wait it out unless you compromise on something.

3. chinesefireball121

chinesefireball121 Scribbler - Standard Member

No one knows yet what the battery is like on the R1E. Although the places that are advertising (well selling, but they don't have them in stock yet) are including the 2nd modular battery, and owners of the R1F are reporting a good 5 hours with the modular battery.

In terms of you being in Australia. It is cheaper buying in the US including shipping and tax (10% GST). I am presently dealing with laptop authority and portable 1, and can reccomend them both highly. Keep in mind though you will need to pay by direct bank transfer (neither accept credit cards)

4. aussiedeza

Thanks guyz!!

Lavander pup what about in photoshop working with opacity brush wouldnt that suffer alot, i only have experience with my wacom intous 3 which has 1000 + something levels of pressure so i assumed there would be a massive difference??

still would love to know how you tell if a laptop has 512 or 256 levels as other specs i half decent idea about.

5. aussiedeza

6. aussiedeza

so far i think i like this one

http://laptopauthority.com/product/Tablet PCs/311
    i assume it only has 256 levels of pressure?

is there anything in my list of thing that this one cant do or do very well?

Thanks agian for helping me people i really appreciate it .

7. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's a great Tablet Aussie.

Bear in mind though, this particular one has the XGA Screen.

8. lavenderpup

lavenderpup T4220 Owner

Well, I have the T4220, and I use photoshop on a regular basis, and after installing a wacom penenabled driver, the pressure sensitivity works fine compared to my tablet but then again, I usually vary size rather than opacity. It meets most of your requirements and is a pretty good tablet pc.
    With pressure sensitivity, I guess you can't really tell other than the stats given. Perhaps its just needs a taad bit more pressure, but after a while, you can't really notice the difference.

9. aussiedeza

Cool all i gotta do now is organize the cash does one of these babies add much battery life ?

wish they would just accept credit card !!

10. lavenderpup

lavenderpup T4220 Owner

with just my current battery, its 4-5 hours. although i'm buying a modular one eventually so it should have more life.

perhaps they accept paypal? wait.. probably not.