Tablet Convertible Laptop Advice Needed!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Brian, Apr 24, 2004.

1. TCY

TCY Pen Pal - Newbie

Please post if you know any Tablet convertible laptop that is (or will be) available with following configuration...

Here is what I am hoping to find:

M-1.6 GHz or Higher
    Bluetooth Built-in
    802.11 B/G Built-in
    DVD-RW (Modular) included
    Any Monitor Size
    512 MB RAM (Prefer 1 G)
    Any HD Size

Thus far I've only found ONE tablet that has all the features built in, Acer TMC302XMi-G. Gateway has one that is close but without the 802.11g, bluetooth and DVD-RW drive (and it is only 512MB RAM instead of 1G in Acer), the M275XLC. Acer is about $2249 at Harmony, and Gateway is about $2099 (minus coupon and AAA discount).

QUESTIONS:
    Does anyone know any other Tablet convertible out there that meets the above requirements?

Any new ones will come out? (I haven't seen Toshiba, Sony or HP comes out with one yet)

If you own the Acer, please post your thoughts and comments.

Thank you...

2. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Have you looked at the HP TC1100 yet? It's not really a convertible but it's not a slate either. It is one of the few that offer Bluetooth built-in. They don't have G right now, but you can buy the Intel b/g card and do the upgrade yourself. They'll be announcing a revised TC1100 in the next few weeks that supports G out of the box.

As for the Acer, the 300 series is pretty strong, but heavy compared to the rest of the field. That doesn't seem to be on your list of considerations though, so it might be a good fit for you.

Barry can weigh in with Gateway stories, but so far he's not been impresed with the quality of the 275XL.

Brian Beeler
    Editor in Chief
    www.bargainPDA.com www.SPOTstop.com

3. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hi TCY,

There are a lot of great convertable models from ViewSonic, Toshiba, Acer, etc. If you check out Motion Computing, they have a similiar solution to HP's TC1100. Trying to get a 1.6 GHz Pentium M in a Tablet may be a bit of a challenge for the next few months until the majority of products are refreshed. Concerning a whopping 1GB of RAM on a Tablet, you will definately need to upgrade that on your own or custom order that configuration, since most Tablet's are not being used for any graphics or gaming intensive apps. (by the majority of users). At this point, we have concerns about the stabilty of the Gateway M275. Stay tuned for our review on that model.

Barry J. Doyle
    Editor in Chief
    BargainTabletPC.com

4. TCY

TCY Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys, thanks for the posts. I am still looking. I thought that by waiting until end of June, I should have a better idea what other new tablets will come out. But definitely need to buy it before end of August. Any new tablets are coming out? Acer is almost perfect for me, except it may be too heavy for me to really mobile. But I guess I am willing to live with it if there is no other new tablets that can match Acer C301xMGi. Any one of you ever used it? Any thoughts?

5. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have used the Acer, and yes, the biggest knock is it's weight. As far as new hardware, it's really a tough call. I don't expect anything new from HP and Toshiba by August. ViewSonic just did a mild refresh, along with Motion who did a very significant upgrade. Aside from adding Intel's new wireless card, I really don't think we'll see much in the way of line refreshes before the fall trade show circuit.

Brian Beeler
    Editor in Chief
    www.bargainPDA.com www.SPOTstop.com