Tab S6 is official

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by desertlap, Jul 31, 2019.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes official US version for Verizon and AT&T

Subject to change of course. I know that the Tab S4 was earlier though so I'm not 100 % confident in that time frame.

OTOH Sammobile says it should already be available
    https://www.sammobile.com/samsung/galaxy-tab-s6-lte/specs/SM-T865/

2. djas

djas Graffiti User

The US variants do not support cellular phone feature unlike the international version, is that correct?

3. desertlap

They haven't in the past and I assume that wont change. But (and you didn't hear it from me;)) I understand it is relative easy to hack the international firmware on to them and enable it.

4. desertlap

Discovered another small bonus with the Tab S6 yesterday. Fast charge seems to work with a much wider range of USB power adapters than previous Samsung devices did. My Surface GO adapter, a HP Spectre power adapter and a 45 watt Apple Macbook Pro adapter all enabled the "fast charging " message.

And it's about time....its been ridiculous how fiddly something as basic as power has been to this point.

jnjroach likes this.
  5. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

That's the thing though; it's not basic. You don't mess about with power as not only could it fry a device, but also someone.

6. desertlap

We aren't talking about quite the same thing. I agree totally on safety. Part of our certification with devices involves a pretty rigorous test.

My point is that given the requirements of the spec itself where there is a handshake protocol where each device tells the other it's capabilities , there was no good reason why devices from one compliant first line manufacturer shouldn't work properly with another first line manufacturer. The example would be HPs adapters not working with anything other than HP and vice versa.

The whole point of standards after all is interchangeability.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  7. desertlap

The reviews are finally starting to trickle out.

And BTW: the note 10 and Tab S6 pens are interchangeable with each other, i.e you can use the note pen on the tab S6 and vice versa

https://www.engadget.com/2019/09/14...gn=homepage&utm_medium=internal&utm_source=dl

PS: This review further confirms something I suspect, that Samsung really expects you to buy either the keyboard cover or at a minimum the folio case. It's the only practical way to carry the tablet around in a pack or whatever without risking losing the pen.

darkmagistric and WillAdams like this.
  8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Got to play around with a Tab S6 at Best Buy.......I was actually quite impressed with its size and form factor. (Despite Best Buy bolting the keyboard down). Honestly if they had Clip Studio on Android....or if they could run Windows on the S6, I would have bought it in a heartbeat.

and the whole removable kickstand and separate keyboard folio is far far superior to what Samsung was able to do with the first two gens of the Galaxy Book. Even though it seems Samsung has no clue what to do with the Galaxy Book line...I really hope they keep this form factor going forward.

artistebot and desertlap like this.
  9. desertlap

There was a quickly deleted (perhaps because of revealing NDA???) thread on XDA that one person claimed they got both Chrome OS and WOA based windows "functional" on the Tab S6.

Of course this being the internet, anybody can claim and often does anything. After all I'm a secret billionaire that just works in systems engineering for the betterment of mankind :cool::p

nnthemperor likes this.
  10. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Next time some random wizkid claims he got WOA working on some bootloader-locked iPP/Galaxy device, you strap him down and document that ****!

For the betterment of mankind. :D

desertlap and nnthemperor like this.