Tab S6 is official

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by desertlap, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

Urrgggh. They've had the technology to release a great machine for years, with us now on smallish iterations of components rather than big jumps. And yet we still wait. I guess a few more months isn't much longer... Bet they still **** it up somehow.

2. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

DEX sound like a good idea actually, as they are currently developing Linux on dex beta, and some user had already gotten GIMP, Blender desktop version to work on it. That is Linux on ARM with most of the popular programs have an ARM port, so you won't even have to bother with x86 emulation slowness. I read somewhere that Krita also made an ARM Linux version for Raspberry Pi, so you might not even need to wait for Android port.

Dex can also be used with older Cintiq, as another forum member tested their Cintiq 27HD with both touch and Pen working. Since Android N, a default pen driver was included so it might even work with budget drawing monitor like XP-Pen.

Though since the tab S is big, you might be able to to even install Linux on it and work directly on the tablet instead of an external monitor. There is various guide online with both root and no root.

djas likes this.
  3. djas

djas Graffiti User

I'm digging DeX immensely.

Self-Plug from Reddit:

Reddit: Wacom Bamboo on DeX
    Reddit: Ubuntu on Note 9 (Terminal)

That S6 checked alot of (my) checkboxes. Hmmm.

WillAdams likes this.
  4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So I've spent some more time with the new Tab S6 today. It is hands dow the nicest Android tablet from anyone. The display is tremendous (noticeably better looking than the TAB S4). It seems to be very quick ( we can't formally test until we get our own unit and Samsung says there will be a software update prior to official release)

The pen is the best yet on their tablets. The tablet itself is much thinner than the S4 and even slightly more than the Tab S5e and it's a bit lighter too.

The keyboard is much thinner and lighter as well and wraps around the tablet with magnets like the iPad Pro 11.

But thus my only complaint with it so far. When you wrap the keyboard around back of the display like when you would read an ebook, the cover over laps on one side or the other dependent on how you fold it and wobbles a bit as you are holding it. So close... Apple is better here though not perfect as the edges of their folio are a bit on the sharper side and can get uncomfortable after an hour or so.

When we get our formal device I'll post more.

PS: I tried the "rose blush" and it's quite pink, not really like some of Samsung's rose gold devices in the past.

Marty and WillAdams like this.
  5. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Could you elaborate on this? How is it better than previous EMR pens you've tried?

6. desertlap

I'll try with the caveat as I've stated before that I'm a more casual pen user than many here. So where I see improvements:

1. Physical shape and feel- big improvement over the Tab S4 pen which was shaped more like a traditional ink pen, but to me made it bigger and bulkiier than needed. Subtly the new pen seems to be better balanced

2. Drawing/writing feel. They seem to have put a newer tip and/or changed the screen in a way that hits a better balance with drag as you write or draw. I make a lot of notes/edits on top of existing documents and it just seems better with tablet in one arm and pen in the other.

3. Latency and features- The built in bluetooth features for things like a remote control is very handy in certain situations I'm in like demonstrations. And drawing on the display lacks the slight lag I felt on the Tab S4 when drawing quickly. For me it's now for all intents and purposes as quick as I am.

Hope that helps, Like I think I tried to say, the improvements aren't huge but they are noticeable.

WillAdams, Marty and djas like this.
  7. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

That's HUGE! I always find the limitations of power on mobile devices to hold back the S-Pen from really letting me draw normally as I would on a full PC. Whenever I am drawing or animating on my NotePro or Note Edge I draw very differently, it feels slow and methodical in order to not outpace the cursor too far. It gets tedious for me but the joy of using a thin tablet keeps me there for those occasions I want to use it. Would be nice to not have to adjust the way I draw for the tablet

WillAdams likes this.
  8. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I broke down and bought an S6 as with my recent expansion of duties I spend even less time at my desk and need a note-taking device that gives more than 4-5 hours of battery life.

I really like the integration with my Note 10+, the ability to make calls and text messages is great so I don't need to carry my phone to conference rooms.

My Microsoft Apps for the most part are really good with the exception of OneNote - it works well enough but seems to be stuck where the Windows 10 App was 2 years ago.

It is very responsive and inking is really good, screen is gorgeous. Will not replace a Windows device but I could do a business trip with it, with exception of lack of Excel Macro support.

Love the size and thinness, weighs very little - over-all I'm impressed.

Disclaimer - I'm not in the Google Ecosystem and use very little of their services.

batty likes this.
  9. desertlap

I'm assuming you also got the keyboard cover? If so what do you think? Unfortunately ours was DOA and we are awaiting a replacement. I'm especially curious about overall size and feel since it's both narrower than the Tab S4 keyboard and they added a trackpad.

Thx.

10. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

They are out of stock everywhere, October 8 is when it ships...using it as a straight tablet...