Tab S4 Pen seems like a downgrade from the S3 Pen.

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by defjeff, Jun 4, 2019.

1. defjeff

defjeff Pen Pal - Newbie

I recently purchased the Tab S4 pen because I thought performance would be the same in a round barrel. This thing is a downgrade:

- Higher IAF. I couldn't believe this one, but it's true.
    - S4 Pen doesn't taper as much towards the tip so you can't draw on as much of angle.
    - Smooth plastic doesn't grip as well which results in slipping.
    - Feels cheaper. When drawing you can hear plastic shaking around.

I don't understand how tech gets worse moving from one generation to the next, but there you have it. Crazy.

EDIT: Well I wish I could delete this thread being that I now believe I got a cheap knock off. Never thought I'd fall for it!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    nnthemperor likes this.
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For the first two concerns....try changing the nib....like switch the nib in the S4 pen with the S3 pen nib. Some nibs create more resistance as a way of simulating drawing on paper better...but it could be interpreted more as higher IAF.

And if you want a better pen....get the zBook X2 pen. Not cheap feeling at all...uses rounder (less toothpick pointy) nibs....Cintiq pen styled, and it has a back end eraser. I bought it to use with my Galaxy Book 10.6, which uses the exact same pen as the S3, and the Zbook pen is by far the better pen.

3. defjeff

defjeff Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm very interested in the Zbook pen.

After using the S4 Pen I believe it to be inauthentic. The box it came in doesn't match any of the retail boxes I can find on store sites. There is no serial or identifying numbers on the box. I knew I was taking a chance due to the low price, but I thought a high seller rating and it being listed as OEM made it a safe bet.

Here is the listing.

Still, I'm not a fan of the tip not narrowing enough to draw at a decent angle. Everything else I'll blame on it being a cheap knock off.

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It probably is a cheap knockoff S4 Pen. Back when I had he Galaxy Note 5, I lost my S-Pen so I bough a 3 set replacement dirt cheap off eBay. Physically it looked the exact same....indistinguishable physically from the real s-Pen....but like in your case, my IAF was now way higher with all three of them. Most likely the pen you got is the same.

defjeff likes this.
  5. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

6. defjeff

defjeff Pen Pal - Newbie

Man, I hate to be negative, but that doesn't look legit to me. I don't think Samsung makes that pen with an eraser, the tip is different, and the color is off. Thing is, if it draws good then does it matter? Just be on the lookout for a high IAF. Samsung's S Pens should have very low force required.

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. LeoZappa

LeoZappa Pen Pal - Newbie

For what is worth, I tried the Tab S4 pen at a Curry's some time ago. It was sitting just next to the tablet so I assume it was legit. It was indeed much more plasticky, light and cheap-feeling than the Tab S3 / Galaxy Book 2017 pen. Didn't check for IAF.

defjeff likes this.
  8. nnthemperor

I'll definitely send it back if I suspect it's a knockoff. Thanks again for the tip.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

9. nnthemperor

Looks like they do, though.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

10. defjeff

defjeff Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow, that pen completely slipped under my radar. Seems better than the Tab S4 pen; there's an eraser and the tip might be better from drawing on an angle.

nnthemperor likes this.