Tab S3 and GB pen latency

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by nehiod, Jul 6, 2017.

1. nehiod

nehiod Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello everyone,

For the last 2 years or so I've been wanting to get a 2 in 1 with an active pen to take notes in lectures but I've been having trouble finding something worth buying. The Surface line isn't available in my country directly from Microsoft(hence no warranty) and the few companies that import them sell them with ridiculous markups.

Couple days ago, I went to a local electronics store with the intent on buying the Galaxy Tab A 10.1 with S-Pen mainly for multimedia and some light note taking but I came across the Galaxy Book 10.6 and after trying out the pen on the Galaxy Book, I fell in love with how responsive and smooth it was. One thing I noticed is that there's noticeable latency on the Tab A pen. This is very obvious when I'm drawing big circles and less noticeable when taking notes but still slightly annoying. Some latency is there on the Galaxy Book but a *lot* less noticeable compared to Tab A. I thought this either has to do with the operating system or the spec difference so I also tested the new Tab S3 with S-Pen and the latency is pretty much the same as Tab A even though S3 is higher specced. By the way, on all 3 devices, I used OneNote to minimize any differences that might be caused by different apps. So my question is;

Does the pen latency depend on the operating system or is the pen tech used different on Tab S3/Tab A and Galaxy Book? I appreciate the feedback :)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    WillAdams likes this.
  2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

The pen tech used on all 3 is the same.

3. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I think its Android. I have yet to use an Android device that doesn't have input latency across the board. Even typing fast causes my Note Edge to hiccup and lag at times. The S pen on my Note Pro 12.2 definitely has a noticeable amount of latency compared to my cintiq or T902.
    However, in my experience your brain adjusts pretty rapidly and unless the software is actually lagging behind strokes on heavy files, you won't notice the latency after you've been using it for a while.
    Also worth noting that Samsung devices come bundled with shameful amounts of bloat. Rooting or simply disabling and uninstalling unnecessary apps has improved overall performance for many people.

WillAdams likes this.
  4. Sergei

Sergei Digital Artist

I find S Note to be free of perceptible lag on my Galaxy Note 4 (same spec as the Edge, broadly) to this day, and even drawing on my Note 8.0" in S Note (the old brown version!) I can only force visible lag by making mad swipes at the screen.

I've always put that down to Samsung being able to highly optimise apps for their own hardware, so maybe OneNote is the big factor here. On my (admittedly aging) Tablet PC I do find it less responsive, as you can see it converting bitmap strokes to vectors as it goes.

That hasn't been a problem for me, but I would hope that a device as new and well-specced as the Galaxy Book didn't have perceptible lag in a more response-dependent app like Photoshop.

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Same with my Note 5. No perceptible lag at all.

6. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Yeah S-Note is arguably the fastest pen app I have ever used on my devices. I agree it's most likely Samsung optimization, especially when using their own Exynos 8 core CPU's.

But OneNote and pretty much any Android art application have pretty visible lag IME.