T938

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Tandemcha, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Tandemcha

Tandemcha Pen Pal - Newbie

So, who has had a chance to test this one out in person? Desperate to finally replace an upgraded T5010. Ruled out the Surface Book 2, but not seeing much coverage on Fujitsu products as of late.

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

What made you rule out the Surface Book 2? Just curious...going to look up the specs of the T938.

Edit:
    (Specs)
    Ok first point, I'm shocked Fujitsu is still making convertibles in 2018
    Camera doesn't sound like it's Windows Hello Compatible, but is has a myriad of other security options including fingerprint reader
    weight starts @ 2.86 lbs
    Wacom AES...meh, but I guess better than Ntrig/MPP
    USB C (Powered)
    SIM Card Slot
    Backlit keyboard
    GPS
    Quick Charge Battery

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  3. Tandemcha

Tandemcha Pen Pal - Newbie

I did not like the top heavy feel of the SB2 and just don't see myself taking advantage of the detachable tablet functionality - just seems like a lot of extra steps and hardware to transition to note taking mode. If the price were a bit lower, would definitely like to try it out long term though. The glued in components also makes me a bit nervous.

Other contenders? HP360?

4. in4mer

in4mer Scribbler - Standard Member

Highly recommend against Fujitsu. I had a t904 had issues with the hinge.

Got exchanged t935 but wanted a refund. 1 year later after warranty expires, the hinge doesn't seem like it will last. Always making a pop sound, when closing.

Don't get the T series.

Look at a thread about the hinge. I was in the discussion a while back. Other people are concerned about the hinge.

There is no perfect tablet PC out there.

My opinion, surface book friggin light in tablet mode.

I've always stuck with HP business laptops. Convinced my wife to get the Spectre 360 at a good price. Don't have the stylus so don't know about the inking.

When the fujitsu gives up, (I am also noticing a corner that doesn't respond to touch.anymore), I stay with my wlitebook revolve get and probably hate myself, but will buy the pen. I believe it's atmel which I had a horrendous experience with (there's a thread about it here in HP forum), but I will hope it's better since I used the pen with the G1 and I have the G3 now.

I'll buy off Amazon so I can return if it is still terrible.

5. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I am particularly skeptical of buying devices from 3rd party sellers, even if Amazon's return policy is great.

Other favourites I guess are the Lenovo Yoga 720 or 920, Thinkpad X1 Yoga, Lenovo Flex, Dell XPS 13 or 15 (Works with Wacom Bamboo Ink)

6. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

@Tandemcha while servicing it out of warranty will be a pain, 360-rotating hinge is the fastest and most natural way converting from laptop to tablet and back, and the fact that Fujitsu still provides such a hinge in at least one of their models deserves some respect. Still, consider some Thinkpad Yoga.

cleft and Rondo60 like this.
  7. norvillerogers

norvillerogers Scribbler - Standard Member

I share the feeling: Fujitsu convertibles just aren't worth it anymore. The T900 (very similar to the T5010) was my first convertible. Based on that experience, I went with the T904 afterwards, which was a bit of a letdown. It had poor performance, bad screen (if high res), dismal battery life, and while it was much thinner and lighter weight, it was just not as robust as previous designs.

This latest model is very strange to me: why only allow full HD in 2018? If you use a tablet, your face is likely very close to the screen. Why even offer 4 gb of ram? Seems to combine the worst of the T904 and T900 to me.. outdated specs with what I'm guessing is a flimsy casing.

In a recent purchase, I was deciding between the xps 2-in-1 vs the Lenovo Yoga 920. In my mind, those are the best two tablets out there right now. I ended up going with the Yoga 920 for more power since the processor and low ram were some of the pain points on the T904 for me.

Regarding inking, the Bamboo Ink is an acceptable stylus once you tweak the pressure curves.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  8. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

T902 was certainly their last great device that set them apart from the competition. It had a full voltage CPU, hot swappable battery compartments and easy access to RAM and SSD, as well as the multi use bay, fantastic build quality and good pen with silo. It wasnt perfect. It had some firmware glitches and touchscreen issues, as well as thermal throttling when you tried to push the onboard GPU, but overall it was a standout machine for its time. T901 also had a loyal following especially the version which had a dedicated GPU.

Its been downhill ever since then IMO. things just kept getting more and more compromised... cheaper frames, hinges, less powerful CPU's, lower max ram, less options, non user-upgradeable... its too bad. At least Vaio appears to be taking that mantle to some extent, but they don't have the lovely EMR, so I have no use for them.

9. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

T902's great strength was a bit higher resolution compared to both competition at the time and other Fujitsu models. Afterwards, T7XX and T9XX became very different - T9XX went the ultrabook way, with high-res screens yet worse build quality, while T7XX models remained well-built and very upgradeable, yet hampered by low-res screen as the only option. Fujitsu basically shot themselves in a foot with these - they didn't bother introducing at least FHD option on T7XX, which otherwise were a great continuation of T902, not sacrificing build quality and modularity. It is understandable given that these machines were mostly sold to enterprise who don't care about display quality - but still inexcusable overall, in my opinion.

Tams likes this.
  10. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

I've never really understood bad specs and corporate/government equipment. A bit of nepotism I guess. Recently where I work got a laptop that had a display with terrible viewing angles and 1366x768 resolution. That's not to mention the DVD drive and a slow as molasses HDD. I didn't dare ask how much it cost.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    Starlight5 likes this.