T935 - Default Windows 10 pen driver conflicting with Wacom Feel driver?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by NeoEevee, Sep 13, 2019.

1. NeoEevee

NeoEevee Pen Pal - Newbie

I recently upgraded from a T904 via refurbishment from eBay. I'm pleased as punch with the improvements in performance and am largely content with how the tablet pen handles fresh from the box with the "default" Windows 10 pen driver. However, I felt I wasn't getting the range of pen pressure I was with my old laptop (I'm drawing mainly in a 2015 build of Photoshop, if that makes any difference, since it's going to be a totally different headache if this is a software issue). So I downloaded and installed the 7.6-36 version Wacom Feel driver (found here: http://us.wacom.com/en/feeldriver/) to see if that would be an improvement over what came with the machine when I turned it on for the first time.

After installing the Wacom driver and restarting, however, my tablet pen ceased to function completely and didn't start working again until I uninstalled the "Wacom device" listed under the Device Manager panel and restarted the computer again. Some searching around leads me to believe I may have to uninstall the current pen driver (HID-compliant pen in the device manager, I think) and reinstall the Wacom driver, but I'm reluctant to try out this educated guess unless I'm either reasonably sure I'm on the right track, or can reinstall the default driver with little headache.

Advice? Am I totally barking up the wrong tree here?

2. Aiffe

Aiffe Pen Pal - Newbie

There are about a squillion versions of that same Wacom driver, and devices can be surprisingly fussy about which version works well on them. It's gone by a lot of names over the years: Feel, Penabled, ISD, etc. Basically anything made by Wacom for a Windows tablet PC on or after when your computer was released--it's all the same driver, the only reason the date matters is if it's a really old one it won't know it supports it, though it probably still could. Unfortunately there can be a bit of trial and error if something's not working for you. The newest one is supposed to "just work," and sometimes it does, but when it doesn't it's a pain. When you find the right version, save that install file somewhere and back it up for good measure.

But before you even do that, a lot of times the problem is with Wintab, an API included in Wacom drivers. You can get a fresh version of just Wintab here: https://www.surfaceproartist.com/wintab/ and that actually fixes a lot of issues.

However, sometimes Wacom drivers do just crash. Mine seems to like to crash if I change the screen orientation, like from horizontal to vertical. But it can just crash whenever. To get it going again, the commands are:

net stop WTabletServiceISD
    net start WTabletServiceISD

(Usually, it's WTabletServiceISD. Cintiqs use WTabletServicePro. If you're not getting results, dig through your services to see what yours is calling itself.)

To avoid typing that into cmd every time, you make a notepad file with that in it, change the extension from .txt to .cmd, and I think I have a shortcut to it set to run it as administrator or something? I have it set up with a hotkey in autohotkey so I can just restart the service and wake my pen up without restarting any time I want.

If you're just not getting the sensitivity out of your stylus you want or expect, that can also be tweaked a bit with the Wacom pressure curve tool, here: https://blackink.cz/tablet-pressure-curve-tool/

You can see even more detailed information on the actual bits your pen is sending about the pressure level using the Other HID Info script with the AHKHID library, here: https://autohotkey.com/board/topic/62716-other-hid-info-find-rf-remote-and-other-device-info/ This is somewhat more advanced, and doesn't actually fix anything, it can just tell you more about what your pen is actually doing, pressure-wise. It's also a good way to figure out what's what if you want to use AHKHID to write custom scripts for your pen, which is a lot of fun, and even works with pens like the Surface Pro one that don't let you remap the buttons--now you can.

Photoshop is a bit of an interesting one, because the thing is that Windows 10 has its own pressure-sensitive driver, the Windows Ink service, and programs have to decide whether to take their marching orders from that or from Wintab, and a lot have just been defaulting to Windows Ink. PS defaults to Windows Ink from 2014 version onwards. I don't know why they did that, maybe because the Wintab stuff can be persnickety and require a lot of troubleshooting to work right, while Windows Ink "just works" out of the box. The problem with this is that Wintab is, well, better. Windows Ink is Microsoft software for note-taking, Wintab is for artists. You can make PS use Wintab using this:

Create a text file in a text editor such as Notepad.

Type in the following lines:

# Use WinTab

UseSystemStylus 0

Save the file as a plain text file named PSUserConfig.txt, and save the file into the Photoshop settings folder: C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC [version]\Adobe Photoshop CC [version] Settings\.

You might notice an instantly better pen feel. The catch? What I said about "persnickety." If your driver crashes or if you restart it, you will need to restart Photoshop for it to work right in it. (Using Windows Ink it recovers without needing a restart, even from crashes that made the tablet not register any pen input at all.) Sometimes you will get that bug where it works great but then randomly draws a stroke without any pressure sensitivity, and I think usually the fix for that is trying different driver versions until you find one it likes. Sometimes changing the screen orientation makes it get very confused about what your screen's aspect ratio is (it tries to put a vertical screen orientation on a horizontal screen, or something) and this is a huge pain in the butt with a lot of changing the resolution back and forth and restarting the driver and PS until it figures itself out again. Now, Wintab works fine for some people, so you might not have any problems at all! But when is anything ever easy with tablet drivers, right?

The thing that ultimately made the biggest difference for me in getting a full range of sensitivity out of my tablet was installing Lazy Nezumi and fiddling with some of the options for how it responds to pressure in that. That one is paid software, but well worth it. Also makes it easier to quickly switch between different ranges of sensitivity, such as wanting to use very little actual pressure for inking (to spare my hand a bit + loosen up my lines) or make it much easier to stay in the light-touch ranges, such as when doing blending/shading.

All this + some aggressive calibration can make a world of difference in the feel of using the stylus on the exact same hardware. I honestly think I spend more time tweaking my tech than I do actually drawing....

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    WillAdams likes this.
  3. WuffWuff

WuffWuff Pen Pal - Newbie

Normally when it comes to Fujitsu tablets you should only use the driver provided by Fujitsu for you specific computer model. I have T902 and also experience pen lag time to time when i am sketching for 2+ hours. In the past i tried different drivers from Wacom website in hope it would improve the pen accuracy and based on different versions of these Wacom drivers i tried it would either disable the touch panel or the pen itself. In the end i gave up and reverted back to stock driver which works despite a bit of lag every once in a rare while, i can always press ctr-z to undo if it drew an incorrect line. I would heavily advice to revert to stock driver on provided Fujitsu website. Also you can often get a windows 7 driver to work on windows 10 so maybe try look for drivers on the internet for Fujitsu T902 (yes even if you have T935) it should still be fully compatible and go in to downloads section where you should get a long list of drivers, you should scroll down until you find Windows 7 64 bit drivers and scroll until you find "Digitzer" driver. Download that and see if it will work on your windows 10 installation activating dual touch feature and also you will be able to adjust pressure sensitivity in control panel through installed program that will be named "pen tablet properties"

Attached Files:

4. Rondo60

Rondo60 Pen Pal - Newbie

This one worked well for me-
    https://support.ts.fujitsu.com/Inde...wareGUID=30DFC7B6-52DE-4304-941A-6A0D8A034170
    Don't allow Windows 10 to update your drivers by using the Microsoft Show/Hide Updates tool- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...t-a-windows-update-from-reinstalling-in-windo