T902--Your Advice for New/Future Users

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by tabletier, Nov 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tabletier

tabletier Pen Pal - Newbie

I would like to request those who have experience with the T902 for their tips / advice for those who are new to the T902 or for those who are considering using one in the future. The end goal is to have a sort of startup guide on one thread where new & future users can look to quickly pickup important information to best utilize this machine.

1. What are the best combination of OS / Drivers / Settings to best experience both touch & stylus controls (where the functionality of one is not sacrificed for the other)?
    2. How do you utilize the customizable tablet buttons? Do you use them with their default functions or do you customize them? Please share useful ways you have found to use these buttons...
    3. Are there any programs you have discovered that enhance the experience when working in tablet mode? For example some sort of dock that gives you quick access to customizable hot keys where you can use the stylus in one hand and press the hot keys with the other?
    4. Any other tips & advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I'll pitch in quick with what I can think of right now at least.

1. I've owned and used the T902 for a long time and also convinced my friend to get one a couple years later on Ebay. So I have some comparison in regards to how they were set up and the issues they had.

I use Windows 7, wacom driver 7.2.0-4 and turned off Intel TPM early on. I also turn off touch when I'm working due to having a unit with a mostly broken touch screen from the day I bought it, and also because I have little use for touch in windows 7 when I'm working. I also wear a modified drawing glove to block contact of skin with touchscreen as we found it increased the glitch to make contact while drawing even when the touch screen was turned off on a software level (turning it off doesn't cut power to the touchscreen, just tells windows to ignore it.)

Other than the notorious cursor glitch I get every couple hours or so, my unit performs admirably with these settings. The lack of touch only bothered me in the beginning since I spent over $3000 on it. But I needed to work on it and I just decided to live with the dis-functional touchscreen.

My friend's t902 by contrast had windows 8 on it and his touch screen worked perfect without the hardware issues I had, however, there were other more debilitating issues that plagued it that has been well documented in the other threads. I think its common for machines released before a OS release to have driver issues when they "upgrade" to the new OS. I feel you'll face less driver issues with Windows 7 (the OS the T902 was built around originally), but if touch is important to you you'll be missing out on a lot of touch friendly features that come with Windows 8.

The glitch is present regardless of OS. It happens at a firmware/hardware level.

2. I only ever customized the buttons that your able to customize. A is space, and B is alt. Somewhere there are threads where peeps discuss how to modify the other ones.

3. The new radial menu from Wacom is more helpful to me than other alternative toolbars, but many have had amazing results with lblb's tabletpc toolbar on this site. There are many more on here and elsewhere as well.

4. I think an adjustable laptop riser and small keyboard or gaming pad is imperative for a good drawing or pen experience on a T902. Propping it comfortably in slate mode, and having access to more shortcuts make it a powerful "portable" Cintiq. As a laptop it functions exactly as it should and is more capable than most slim and new ultrabooks for more demanding work needs.
    My only other tip I can think of right now is in regards to the fingerprint scanner. You can use Windows default fingerprint scanner, but you'll need omnipass to record your fingerprints, then uninstall omnipass (you'll want to its just unnecessary bloat) and set windows to handle the fingerprint reading.

dabzer likes this.
  3. tabletier

Thank you for the feedback. Really useful info. Do you also have suggestions as far as hardware upgrades? I have read the most compatible type of ram is :

1. DDR3 SODIMM PC3-12800 1600MHZ 204p @ 1.5v ... correct me if I am wrong...

2. What would be the most compatible type(s) of SSD?

As far as the wacom driver you mentioned... Does it handle both pen & touch functionality or is the touch handled via different driver(s)?

Thanks again for the input.

4. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

1. I use Windows 8.1 but I was able to get Windows 10 fully running on my device (testing on a second drive, no long-time test and haven't done the switch yet). I've done a clean installation of Windows and only installed the most needed drivers that windows didn't automatically install:
    Wacom driver version 7.2.0-10 is the lastest one that works on the T902. It has the most functionalities like 'hover click', radial menu, extended calibration and also a pretty decent default calibration.
    The Wacom driver handles booth touch and pen. Driver versions after v7.2.0-10 make the touchscreen act strange on stuff like scrolling.

From time to time I loose pen and/or touchscreen functionality and I need to go into standby/resume or restart the system to get it back. Also sometimes the Wacom driver resets my custom settings but this has just been a recent issue, I hope I just crewed something up...

2. The buttons are one of the things I love most on the T902. I use a program called Autohotkey to remap them all (Windows only allows remapping the A & B button). I even set them up with up to 3 functions (short press, long press, double press) or combinations.
    I explained that in this post: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...-and-for-other-t90x-t73x-etc-maybe-too.61769/

3. Oh yeah there are some programs I use that enhances the use way beyond Windows default capabilitys and I don't want to miss:
    1. TouchMe Gesture Studio: Let's you set up many different multitouch gestures to do different things.
    2. StrokesPlus: Let's you set up mouse gestures. These will also work with the pen (and touch I you want). Really powerful and with the gesture activation set to one of the pen side-buttons and 'hover-click' enabled in the Wacom pen settings it is something I never want to miss again. I can quickly draw gestures 'in the air' and it will perform all kinds of stuff.
    3. Autohotkey: Als already said above I use it for the tablet button remapping but also remapping of the keyboard and mouse.
    4. ArtDock: Shortcuts and more that can be used with the stylus in one hand and press the hot keys with the other even when the stylus is in range for palm rejection. There are many variants of this around and all should work with the profile I posted here. Btw. they are also created with Autohotkey ;) There are some more user friendly programs that work similar and have more functionality like RadialMenu but I had some issues with it so I sticked with ArtDock.
    5. Touchscreen Switch: Little tool I've created using Autohotkey to disable/enable the touchscreen with a hotkey or double-click/tap on the sys-tray icon.
    4. Of course get the dock/port-replicator if you often connect/disconect hardware on your desk. And as stoneseeker suggeted a stand for the tablet-mode is a nice addition. I built one myself that also holds the dock/port-replicator ;)
    I also use felt-nibs on the pen for a better and quieter feel.

You can use any 2.5" SATA SSD with up to 9.5mm height or an mSATA SSD if you don't use the 3G/LTE modem. Using an mSATA SSD you can leave your old 2.5" HDD/SSD in to further extend the storage.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
    stoneseeker likes this.
  5. tabletier

Great post. These are some very interesting ways to improve the functionality of the touch controls.

Could you further explain what you wrote above? Do you mean that you can have two hard drives? Are there any hard drive installation or upgrade guides that illustrate both? And how do you check to see if you have the 3g modem or not?

6. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

With the modular bay harddrive adapter, main hard drive bay, and M-sata slot you can have up to 3 storage drives in the T902! I forgot to mention I bought a spare modular bay battery to extend battery life by a couple hours. 2 batteries is more useful to me than 2 SSD's since I bought a 500g SSD for the main bay.

7. tabletier

Ya, I have seen the modular bay battery. Great idea. The fact that it is a modular bay means that you can swap the bays as you need them.

Have any of you guys found a keyboard cover for the T902?