t902 vs 2760p for drawing

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Alphonsine, Nov 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alphonsine

Alphonsine Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello, I was wondering if it was a good idea to buy a t902 fujitsu for 245$ with 8gb, 128gb ssd, versus a 123$ hp2760p 4gb 320 gb hdd, without stylus,
    the latter nevertheless being my favorite due to its low cost and... because there seems to have reliability problems with the T902 :

does the "pen cursor-jumping / touch glitch" is resolved with the recent 7.3.4-8 wacom driver, as would suggest this post ? :

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...-touch-glitch-or-not.58983/page-2#post-482258

Is this device reliable, sturdy, or it reveals malfunctions over the years as seen in this thread ? :

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/t902-portion-of-screen-doesnt-pick-up-pen.67007/

Thanks for looking and sorry for my english

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  2. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

I have a HP 2760p. It's a very beautiful and reliable device, even though I don't use it much anymore (upgraded to a hp x2 612 g1)

-The pen is actually my favorite, it's more reliable than my X2 612 which had slight wavy when draw diagonal line.Cursor accuracy on my 2760p is great out of the box too, added with matte screen make it a very great inking exprience.
    - 16:10 beat 16:9. Period.
    -The hinge is very robust, when in tablet mode it automatically click in with the keyboard body, make no chance of flex.
    -Many add-on in tablet mode: tablet rotation button, esc button, mouse scrolling button, fingerprint reader to unlock without keyboard.
    - It has a night led light which is great for typing at night. Not related to inking, but I find myself missing it when using newer device.

Above are just my personal experience. EMR digitizer varied across devices depend on engineering and shielding as well, so the safest bet would be getting some hand-on. I had tried a X220 with horrible cursor-pen tip misalignment after calibration (like cursor being 5mm away from pen tip at some area in the middle of the screen), but some others here reported no issue with their X220.

Considering both item are from ebay, if you could ask the seller if the cursor align with the pen tip or at least just 1-2mm away (that could be calibration error) then it would be great. With no pen, I guess the only way is gamble and pray that you won't get bad blood.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  3. Alphonsine

Merci pour cette réponse détaillée !
    And for the valuable advices, notably to check the alignement of the cursor with the pen tip, since I did not know.
    It reassures me for the choice of the 2760p
    (although with purchasing a pen and perhaps an indispensable ssd, the price approaches that of the T902)

But even if the T902 is also attractive, with this glitch, I'm pretty wary...

4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I've got a 2760P.

Everything about it is wonderful (for old tech). -It's a beautiful machine.

Except the screen is really small, and very low resolution by today's standards.

the 2760P is 1280 x 800 at 12"

The t902 is 1600 x 900 at 13"

I'd draw out a couple of pieces of paper at each size and see which one would drive you less insane. The longer you use it, I suspect the more that extra inch will seem like a bargain at $120!

5. Alphonsine

Thank you again for your answer
    So, the extra 1.2 inches is well worth $120 more...
    But if I order the t902 on ebay, I do not know how to be sure to be refunded if it has a flaw, maybe is this possible if I contact the seller ? (he is a business seller)

Or else, I continue to search for an equivalent laptop, reliable, and in the meantime, I buy the hp 2760p...

6. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I agree with @thatcomicsguy, your better off with the screen real estate on the T902. The glitch is a non-issue for many users who rarely ever see it like myself. It will be a fair bit faster machine than the 2760p as well, certainly in the onboard GPU which improved quite a bit from the sandy gen in the 2760p. Also, the 4 gigs RAM vs. 8 gigs RAM is a big difference IMO. And you have to track down a stylus for the 2760p? The T902 has a modular bay, larger screen and res, newer CPU and GPU, and is still worth putting upgrades into if needed. It can be upgraded with RAM and SSD very easily without any tear down, something rare in machines these days. Of course the 2760p can be easily upgraded too I believe.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  7. Alphonsine

I'm not used to post in forums and It's nice to see that people bother to answer your questions.

That's somewhat what I thought about the t902 but I was not too sure; and indeed, I have to buy a pen.
    Well, actually the ebay item is sold.

Also I should open a thread in the subforum "What Tablet PC Should I Buy?" in order to know the tablets PC roughly equivalent to the Fujitsu t902, with a screen over 13 ", an SSD, 8GB of ram... And trying to find a used one at less than $250.

8. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I really like the old used market a lot; many of the machines there are very affordable and there was a lot to like about the previous generation EMR technology.

As it happens, your own research has really settled on two of the more popular models available. The t902 came along well after the HP Elitebook series and was a premier machine at the time, impossible to beat in terms of hardware and GPU speed, and it had one of the best screen sizes available. -As such.., you've probably noticed, even used units still command a healthy ticket price on eBay. But honestly, even a $400 or $500 used unit is a song compared to the money Stoneseeker shelled out for his top production model. There was literally no other machine available a few years ago which could perform at the specs he needed for hard core animation work other than the Fujitsu.

But it seems you might be able to score a unit within your budget if you're willing to keep an eye out and play the bidding game.

Anyway, if you start up a thread in the "What should I buy" section, you might get some other users with good ideas which would fit for your needs.

Cheers!

stoneseeker likes this.
  9. Alphonsine

Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.