T902 - Portion of screen doesn't pick up pen.

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Durandalite, Jul 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

OK so here is a guide for a teardown of the T902 display assembly and replacing parts of it.

I think the best way to do this is in tablet mode.
    1. Remove the 6 rubber pads on the front and then the 6 screws behind it (red circles).
    2. Start seperating the front from the back at one of the bottom corners. Use a plastic card or your fingernails for help ;)
    IMG_20150813_155321_edit.jpg

3. Just seperate it around the whole bezel, do not lift it yet! And be a bit careful to not damage any of the plastic hooks and the connection between the plastic panel and the magnesium on the top of the back cover.
    4. After complete seperation lift the front carefully at the top (at the webcam side) until you are able to disconnect the cable going to the touchscreen controller (red circle).
    5. Then you can lift it up further to disconnect the cable going to the display (blue circle).
    You may have to remove some tape holding the cables down.
    IMG_20150813_160459_edit.jpg

6. Now you can completely seperate the parts and put the rest aside.
    7. For seperation of the LCD + digitizer layer from the front bezel remove any of the tape holding down the touchscreen controller board.
    8. Pull up the little black holder on one of the boards (red circles) and then pull out the flex cable between them.
    IMG_20150813_160717_edit.jpg

9. Seperate the touchscreen controller board from the back of the LCD and fold it away. Maybe use some tape to hold it down because it's a bit stiff ;) Be careful to not damage the flex cable or the connection to the board!
    10. Lift out the LCD. You can use the extending metal holders to help (red arrows). It's hold down with some adhesive but it should be fairly easy to lift it up.
    IMG_20150813_160919_edit.jpg

Done! :)
    IMG_20150813_175833_edit.jpg

You could also start seperating the digitizer layer from the LCD (which I haven't done yet, just tried on one of the corners) or the touchscreen glass from the front bezel but they are hold down with stronger adhesive and might take some patience, care and force to remove ;) A hair dryer, heat gun or other heat tool should help with the adhesive.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    Durandalite and stoneseeker like this.
  2. Durandalite

Durandalite Pen Pal - Newbie

Totally forgot about this; holy crap. Sorry to see that you had the same problem @stoneseeker . Did you ever get it fixed?

3. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I thought about it, but I moved across the country, got a new job as a concept artist with a new company and they require me to work on their computers and cintiqs, not my own. So unless I'm working from home (rare these days), I am almost entirely ignoring the T902. TOday I'm working on it and the annoying unresponsive strip is still there. I will probably just live with it until my next computer purchase. Though who knows when something comes along that can actually replace this. The Vaio Canvas looks to me like the only candidate, but it still is full of compromises from the form factor of this thing.

Did you get yours fixed?? I forget. I guess I could go read previous posts to find out, haha

4. Durandalite

Durandalite Pen Pal - Newbie

Nope, never got around to it. Honestly I've just learned to live with it, even if it is still quite irritating. Figured I'd just deal with it until my next purchase. But like you mentioned, when it comes to the specs I want, nothing being released these days is matching the T902, unfortunately. It's hard enough finding a machine that will even hold this much RAM, let alone have the things artists need.

Maybe one day, *sigh*.

stoneseeker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.