T902 - Portion of screen doesn't pick up pen.

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Durandalite, Jul 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

If for some reason windows 10 and fresh install doesn't fix it and it is in fact hardware, someone here was able to replace their T902 screen recently (Stormi? I forget) and they would be able to help you out with the process of replacing the digitizer or controller board if it comes to that. THat sucks though. I am waiting for the day something goes wrong with my T902 after all this time... not even sure what I'd do when it happens. It will be hard to replace.

An aside regarding your frequent digitizer glitch, have you tried uninstalling Intel Rapid Start Utility as suggested in the massive digitizer glitch thread? I found turning that off and turning off unnecessary start up programs (via msconfig) helped considerably, but then again we were never able to determine if it was really helping or not. I just find keeping the system processes spartan appears to help the issue. Though nothing helps more than wearing a drawing glove though. If I don't wear a glove I see the glitch a LOT more too. The glove needs to be thick enough on the palm to be physically blocking your skin from registering though.

Durandalite likes this.
  2. Durandalite

Durandalite Pen Pal - Newbie

I have uninstalled the Intel RSU and it seemed to help. I also keep my processes to a minimum. The glitch has faded back a bit since the OP, thankfully. I'm expecting it to flare up again in the future though. (Also, I've never worn a glove while working. Not sure if I'd like to.)

3. stoneseeker

WOW. S__TTY day for me over here. Got exactly your problem while working on a scene in Flash today. A strip exactly like yours in the exact same place on my screen started the non-responsive thing. Like you it randomly works again if I close out all the programs, but as soon as I jump back into work it starts up again. I am pretty down about this. I am leaning towards it being a hardware issue that is effected by heat or something. The fact that nothing new was added to the system this morning, and that it seems to be the same physical location as your screen tells us it most likely is a weak solder susceptible to heat. I'm unsure of what to do. My T902 is otherwise still the best machine I could own currently, so I have little desire to "upgrade" to Wacom CC2. My boss might sell me his since he rarely uses it. But then the issue could crop up on his at any moment too. This sucks. 4 years is a decent run, but I was really hoping to get an extra year of this beast. :(:(:(:(:(:(
    You did that right? How difficult and time consuming was it to swap out the digitizer panel? I have no soldering skills, is it still possible to do without or should I buy the parts and take it to a local pro to do for me?

4. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

Oh that's a bummer :(
    Actually I only needed the touchscreen glass but I wasn't able to find anyone selling this so I swapped the whole display assembly. But I have the parts of my old display around here.

The digitizer layer has a fixed connection to the controller board as well as the touchscreen (not a normal soldered connection, maybe electronic welded??) but they booth have have their own board and are simple to disconnect from the rest without soldering. Also getting there is not that difficult, just removing 6 screws below the rubber-pads on the front of the display and then gently pry starting from one of the bottom corners to seperate it from the back. Just be a bit careful to not break any of the plastic hooks.

Replacing either the LCD + digitizer layer or touchscreen-glass + front bezel is simple, the LCD is just fixed to the front with some light glue.
    But booth the touchscreen-glass to the front bezel and the digitizer layer to the LCD are fixed with some stronger glue and need quiet some force to be seperated.
    And be careful with the touchscreen flex-cable during disassembly!

I can post some pictures on thursday when I have more time.

stoneseeker likes this.
  5. stoneseeker

hmm... Was your screen and digitizer layer working fine? The glass broke, but nothing else was damaged right? If so, maybe I could buy your old LCD+ digitizer layer off you since it would be easy to swap out ?

Otherwise I can look on Ebay, but that might work out nicely if I could salvage the other half of your old screen to keep this baby going for another year.

I would love pics of your adventures in dis-assembly. I think it would help reassure me that the job would be within my capacity. If it just involves being careful with nothing more than a screw driver I could certainly do it. The bonus of getting a working touchscreen again would be great too! Mine has been busted since the first month, its never properly worked so I just kept it turned off.

6. stormi

Yep that's correct. Though I don't know if that can fix your touchscreen problem if you only swap the active digitizer hardware.
    I would sell my LCD + digitizer for 100€ (~US $110) + shipping cost. There's also just the digitizer-layer for sale on eBay in the US for US $100: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Active-Digit...075-NEW-OEM-/111094931120?hash=item19ddc61eb0

7. stoneseeker

Oh I misunderstood one thing then, I thought it was in this order glass>LCD screen>digitizer and touch layer in one board. Your saying it's actually Glass>touch layer>LCD screen>Digitizer ? If that's the case I may just look for the whole screen to replace. Would that be hard to remove the entire screen assembly and replace it with another? Ultmately if its too expensive or difficult I'll buy your digitizer layer and just ignore touch again. But if I can take advantage of the scenario and also get the touchscreen swapped out for a working one I might as well.,.

8. stormi

Yes, glass and touch layer are one part.
    Replacing the display assembly is somehow more work because you first need to remove the entire keyboard/palmrest assembly but it's still still easy to do. Just again a bit care to not break some of the plastic hooks.

The entire display assembly is sold by official Fujitsu repair partners but is quiet expensive (though I don't know the prices in other countires). Thats why I waited until something appeared on eBay because I was able to live without touch that time ;)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  9. stoneseeker

OK, so the easiest would be to just replace the LCD+digitizer as one? If that's the case, I will buy yours off you once I've moved and settled in. Till then I can make do with a gimped drawing area. I should be able to buy yours sometime in September then.

thanks! works out rather well actually.

10. stoneseeker

Also, I really look forward to pictures of your tear down! I was just talking to our tech guy in the studio and he may actually help me tear down and replace the screen/digitizer while I'm still here. So perhaps I'll order express from you and pay a little extra shipping so I can do it before we move. I'll be in touch about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.