T902 - Portion of screen doesn't pick up pen.

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Durandalite, Jul 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Durandalite

Durandalite Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey everyone, been lurking this forum for a long time (specifically regarding the T902's dreaded firmware glitch; Don't even get me started...) but I thought I'd finally sign up here because I'd like some help with this strange issue that is quite irritating.

http://1drv.ms/1fgkjoF

^ This is a link to a video of me demonstrating the problem, but I'll explain here too:

There is an area of me screen that doesn't pick up my pen at all, a 1-inch column that runs the length of the screen vertically. If I'm just using the trackpad everything is fine, so this issue has to do with pen.

Oddly, sometimes the problem goes away, and I can use the pen in the space just fine, but it seems that as my computer runs for a while (especially once I jump into photoshop) the problem inevitably returns.

Has anyone ever experienced this or at least knows what the issue might be? This is a real nag for someone like me that uses the pen daily. I've put up with it for a while now, but I'm finally getting pretty tired of it.

(On a side note, the firmware glitch is about to make me rip my hair out; I get it every other stroke. Do any of you know if fujitsu is still working on it? Hopefully they produce something when Windows 10 comes out.)

2. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

That's odd. Do you have this problem since you got the machine or maybe changed the driver or firmware version?
    If you haven't already, maybe installing the lastest digitizer-firmware solves the issue.
    Maybe there is also a lose connection/bad solder-point between the digitizer-panel and the wacom circuit-board that starts to show it's signs when the device is heating up...

Durandalite likes this.
  3. Durandalite

When I first got it, it worked perfectly fine. Best machine ever. This issue started appearing maybe something like 7 months ago. I'm pretty sure I have all the latest firmware version (I'm using Windows 7, so it's the latest in that respect). Maybe I should try rolling it back or something.
    The heat-up sounds like it may be it. Not sure how I could check though.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  4. stormi

Hmm still got warranty? Maybe resetting calibration can help? Or test it on a new clean Windows installation.
    Otherwise the only way to check whether the hardware is faulty would be swapping the digitizer panel...

5. Durandalite

Believe me, I've tried recalibrating lol. Also my warranty ran out last year, unfortunately.

When doing a clean install, you need the disc right? I don't have a Windows 7 boot disc. I do, alternatively, have the Windows 8 boot disc, but maybe I'll just wait until the end of the month to upgrade to Windows 10, see if that changes anything. If not, I can only assume it's the digitizer panel so I'll have to replace it (could I even do that myself?).

6. stormi

Yep already thought that ;)
    Yes it can be done but of course a bit of experience in disassembly is helpful. (I can give you instructions if needed)

7. Durandalite

That be great! I've opened her up before and put it back together, but if I feel out of my league I may be able to find someone else with more competence with this sort of thing. And regardless, the instructions sound like something nice to have. So yeah, if you could provide 'em I'd be more than grateful.

8. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

That's rough. I've never seen anything like that before. You mentioned it happens in Photoshop... when it happens again, try turning off ALL Wacom services (wintab) in services so its only running on windows basic API. Then go to the desktop (turn off photoshop) and see if its still doing it on that portion of the screen. I would just want to rule out a driver issue that is triggering when wintab fires up in photoshop or something like that. Also, you could try nuking all the wacom software and re-downloading the most recent Wacom driver from the Fujitsu website (not directly from Wacom).
    Otherwise the other thought of trying Windows 10 on a fresh install seems like a good plan, as well as checking the internal connections.
    Also: Does it go away when you reset the system? Or if you flip the screen up? Does it happen with other pens?

9. Durandalite

The issue is actually around more than it is not. I'd say 90% of the time it is there. Resetting the system seems to have no effect on it; by my account it only ever resolves at random times, but NEVER while I'm using Photoshop. Funny enough I'm not getting the problem right now but I'll try out your methods when it comes back.

10. Durandalite

Alright, shortly after that last post the problem came back. Turned off and nuked Wacom from the machine but the problem persists. Guess I'm waiting for W10 for the next step.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.