T902 Keyboard help : Control keys not working

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by nema.arpit, Jul 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nema.arpit

nema.arpit Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey folks,
    Like the thread title says, both the control keys on the laptop keyboard have stopped working. Not even during post, where Ctrl+P can get you into the Intel management engine.Everything else seems to be working fine. Already did the factory restore on the HDD. Still no control keys. My bios is version 1.04.
    I have started a fujitsu service request, but my warranty expires on the 31st of July.
    Any help or ideas are appreciated!

2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Did you do any recent firmware updates or BIOS updates?? Seems odd that even after a factory restore it didn't fix it... also seems unlikely it's a hardware issues if BOTH control keys are not working. As long as you started a service request prior to your warranty expiring you should be ok.

3. nema.arpit

I don't think I did any recent firmware/bios updates. I was playing around with installing an OS (Arch) on the mSATA ssd, which added a UEFI entry. I don't know if this could be a cause.

Any ideas about the cost for sending it in for service? I read about a 105$ charge if no repairs are done - this may arise if they try to charge me an exorbitant amount for replacing/fixing the keyboard, in which case I would prefer to refuse. I believe a replacement keyboard+trackpad palmrest is around 92$ on ebay.

4. 3phemeral

3phemeral Pen Pal - Newbie

did you ever solve your problem? the same thing just happened to me and I can't seem to find a solution.

5. nema.arpit

I ended up replacing the keyboard. I had to buy the replacement part FUJ:CP613684-XX from EAF supply chain (UK based), since I could not find it in the US. Note that this part is the UK layout, even though it says US on the website [link: https://www.eafsupplychain.com/Product/FK-FUJ_COLON_CP613684-XX].
    I am pretty sure you can also buy the backlit version from them, though it is significantly more expensive.
    Shipping to the US was 28$.

3phemeral likes this.
  6. 3phemeral

3phemeral Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh, thank you so much! It's a hassle not having ctrl keys - I never realized how often I use them! And thank you for the link. I'll have to look into it. Thi smay be a good opportunity to switch to a backlit since I've been wanting one for a while. I like working in the dark.