T902 - How to upgrade to Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by poldas, Jul 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monkey13

monkey13 Scribbler - Standard Member

2. poldas

poldas Pen Pal - Newbie

I didn't know so I will do it.

Thank you for assistance

3. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Ah, ok, that does change things. It's strange that it would have worked from Win8 but not Win7.

What the hell when was that change rolled out? If I could have done that I would have ages ago. I guess the Win10 iso on my usb was an older build. So much effort I could have saved if if this more common knowledge because I swear that every article I looked at last fall/winter said it wasn't possible.

ffffffffffffffff

4. monkey13

monkey13 Scribbler - Standard Member

W10 apparently accepts W7 and W8(.1) keys since build 1511. I found it in an article from December 2015, in the German magazine c't (no. 27/2015), that I usually read.
    I didn't need a key, as my T902 came with W8.

5. poldas

poldas Pen Pal - Newbie

Exactly! I used Windows 7 key during clean installation and key was accepted

6. Rondo60

Rondo60 Pen Pal - Newbie

It is possible an in place upgrade to Windows 10 hangs due to the Fujitsu specific drivers and software, and why a clean install works
    For those that did a clean install, how did you get all of your Fujitsu specific drivers and software downloaded and installed?
    From their website, do you have to use their downloader or what is the process?
    I have a T935 and want to upgrade to Windows 10, all of the software and drivers are listed on Fujitsu website, I just don't know how to go about doing it for sure.

7. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Windows 10 is really good at finding the drivers for your machine. You may only need to install Fujitsu-specific software and utilities.

Assuming Windows 10 doesn't find all your drivers, generally you would install the drivers in the order that they are listed on Fujitsu's website. Unless they've greatly changed their downloader in recent years, all their downloader does is download the drivers. You'll still have to unzip and install them yourself. You can use it, but I've never found it very useful.

stoneseeker and Rondo60 like this.
  8. jlpservices

jlpservices Pen Pal - Newbie

I've just done 2 T902's.. from what I found out.. From win8 you have to install a certain amount of updates to get to update to 8.1.. I was told by a MS tech that Win7 and 8 are no longer supported so there is no direct upgrade/update to win10..

Once I got to a certain point maybe update 30 in Win8 I opened the apps store and 8.1 will be lit up for upgrade.. Once you upgrade to 8.1, win10 will install from any media.. I used a USB drive..

The new anniversary Win10 has a few more functions and can be handy.. Has a write on screen and a selection tool for Pen enabled units.. .

If you do the install in Win8 install all the appropriate drivers from fujitsu as win8 will be missing some.. Then when you upgrade to win10 it will use the most updated drivers all ready on your win8 machine.

It does take a little while but so far I have setup 2 different machines this way.. an I7 3540 and I73520.. Both work great and each installed all the drivers..

The problem will lay in getting the secondary software from the vendors.. Ideally would be nice if someone compiled all the software so it would be an easy upgrade..

Rondo60 likes this.
  9. Rondo60

Rondo60 Pen Pal - Newbie

Did you download and install Windows 10 during the free offer period? Or did you buy Windows 10 recently to do your upgrades? And I assume from what you said you had Windows 8 on your machines and not Windows 7- a bit confusing.

10. jlpservices

jlpservices Pen Pal - Newbie

It was the free upgrade on one computer. Win7 Ultimate on the drive.. I upgraded when they offered it and did a triple boot configuration.. 7U, 8.0 pro, Win 10 pro..

Both.. 2 computers... One upgrade other new Key..

Microsoft somehow has this hard drive finger printed/ digital signature, as an active free upgrade drive which I pulled from my old T4410 (Samsung SSD850 pro)..

The MS Rep told me to just choose upgrade but I wanted to change the partitions around. so picked advanced and deleted and formatted the C: drive with Win10 upgrade on USB..

Luckily I had everything backed up. (bad call on my part) nearly fragged my SSD drive. It basically made the SSD drive half the size and could only read D: drive and kept Win10 from being able to be installed on the drive..

I found a work around by using Samsung magician (older version which allows for a complete wipe of the drive and made it ok full 1TB gained back)

Choose upgrade when asked in the win 10 install.

From what I can tell.. If the hard drive was part of the upgrade from win7 to 8, to 8.1 it will upgrade to 10 for free with no code needed and it won't even ask for a key..

There is an option once the process starts where it will ask if you want a new install or an upgrade... The upgrade window will open and you will have 4 options.. Win10 pro (which is what I have) and then the rest of windows 10 family..

Click which ever OS used family or pro and then the rest just starts to happen on it's own..

One note: On the second machine which was a Win7 pro with good key HHD. It would not upgrade for free.. Once everything was installed it asked for a real key.. I tried to use other keys I had from non registered computer keys and they were all rejected..

I bought a new key and it has been perfect..

I was told Win7 and Win8 won't upgrade to Win10 on it's own anymore as neither are a supported OS and are being phased out..

The upgrade had to happen from Win 8.1... This is what worked for me.. So as to being confused I can see it.. Not sure of the process from win 7 for a straight shot as I had the 8 pro disk on hand so just used that..

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
    Rondo60 likes this.