T902 for heavy PS work?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by ForzaqC, Aug 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ForzaqC

ForzaqC Pen Pal - Newbie

I am a graphic designer by trade, as well as a life long artist/illustrator primarily on personal projects as well as the occasional professional illustration project. In recent years, graphic design has pretty much taken over all of my time and I would like to get a machine that will make it more feasible for me to get back into practice with my art and do more illustrations.

Research has led me to believe that the T902 is the ultimate mobile art workstation. However, I don't know whether it will be able to handle the extremely large scale PS work that my primary design work entails. My primary contract involves the creation of very large art files for printed products up to 20'x10' in size placed into Illustrator. I also sometimes need to do heavy photo modification on very high res, poster-sized artwork. This includes lots of filters and layer adjustments, huge file sizes at times.

I currently use a 2009 MBP 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo w/ 8GB of RAM and a GeForce 9400M. It definitely stumbles under my most demanding use and I'm hoping for my next machine to be a bit more powerful. I don't know how reliant on the discrete GPU PhotoShop filters and Illustrator blurs and gradients are and I was hoping that perhaps some of the pros in this forum might be able to provide me with a bit of guidance.

I am really hoping to be able to use a very portable solution like the T902, as I need to take my work machine and files with me whenever I travel. I had considered a more powerful and less expensive machine paired with a 13HD, but that thing is so overpriced (and not truly portable) that I have a hard time justifying it.

Thanks in advance for suffering through my text wall and for any help provided :)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I am currently doing complex filters and brush work on a 300DPI 8.5 x 11" canvas in photoshop. THe file is now 1.02GB large, and the T902 handles it like a dream. I rarely get caught waiting for anything, the specs on my T902 are below in my signature.

THe GPU isn't really used heavily for much in Photoshop except for small features like rotate canvas or "liquify" (optional, you can liquify with CPU only perfectly fast as well) and 3D layers.

So for photoshop and other 2D work you needn't worry about the lack of dedicated GPU, not to mention the HD4000 is no slouch for video editing and 2D rendering. IT does struggle on heavy 3D, but thats not what your getting it for.

Since you will be needing as much power as possible, I would recommend for you the i7 over the i5 to get that little extra juice when it counts. The CPU counts most when it comes to performance in photoshop for complex filters and large sizes. Also having a SSD and plenty of RAM will also help in different ways. Lots of RAM will help prevent using the SSD as a scratchdisk, but with files that big, it probably will still happen, in which case a SSD will be nice for the speed at which it will perform.

Your only other options in tabletPC's that will truly be powerful enough to handle those kind of files would be the Lenovo X230t. (or the Modbook Pro, but I wouldn't recommend spending that much when T902 trumps it in many ways)

All other current tabletPC's use ULV CPU's and the lowered voltage keeps them from being as powerful as well obviously. The laptop you are using is not as powerful as the T902, but the T902 won't be such a massive difference that it would be like jumping to a gaming rig or quad core workstation. Just a pleasant boost in performance that should suffice for your needs.

If you would like I can try to run a filter or something of your choice on my beefed up T902 on a canvas size of your liking to test it.

Also, be aware there is a pen glitch currently being looked on that seems to effect people to varying degrees, (mostly artists who use rapid strokes when drawing notice it most) although I use mine on huge files animating and see the glitch occasionally, it is not a deal breaker for me, but for others who seem to be experiencing it worse, has been most aggravating. http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/fujitsu/53330-wacoms-newest-tabletpc-driver-issues.html (the last 10 pages are far more relevant than the original posts)

3. ForzaqC

ForzaqC Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for such a comprehensive answer! That certainly makes me feel much more confident that this is likely the perfect machine for me.

The pen stoke glitch does honestly give me pause, though. I use very rapid, small strokes when I draw - which seems like it would be a problem.

With a hardware update likely looming for the T902 this fall, I think that waiting is likely a good choice. Maybe they will fix that glitch while they are at it?

One question I did have: If I plan on putting in an SSD, is the mSATA option relevant or useful to me? I saw a video review that said the T902 must be ordered with that option if you plan to use it, as it can't be added to the non-msata machines.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

4. stoneseeker

If you place a large SSD in the MAIN bay or use the SECONDARY bay you have no need of the mini-SATA, especialy for caching the OS. The only reason you would need to order it with it is if you plan on using the miniSATA port to cache your OS, and run it in RAID with a secondary large regular HDD. Otherwise, even if you don't order it with it, the port is actually still useable as storage (you can still throw a miniSATA SSD in there for extra space.)

So definitely not worth it to order it with it under any circumstance really, at that price ($150 for a 32gig miniSSD!!!) it really negates any benefits from caching as larger SSD's are getting pretty cheap these days.

Anyway, the pen stroke glitch is currently a packet burst in the USB hub and some pretty smart cookies on this forum are looking into it and hoping to modify the firmware to stop it, so fingers crossed maybe we'll fix it. But if you find a good deal on a T902 don't let it stop you. The T903 might be quite the wait. My guess would be you may get a hold of the refresh by late winter at earliest...

Just to double check, I went and opened a new CS6 photoshop file and started rapidly sketching as fast I possibly could cross hatch. I used 3 different brushes of varying complexity and drew as fast as I could for about 3-4 minutes straight. I never once saw the pen glitch. I honestly seem to see it more not when I am drawing, but when I am switching to a menu, or hovering over a slider or the volume knob or if I try to draw at the same time as hitting undo. Just letting you know I really don't get all that effected it by it, and it doesn't seem to disturb any diferently when you draw fast. Others had just speculated that might be the case, but now I'm not so sure, as it didn't matter how fast I drew. I typically sketch gestural stuff quite fast as well. Anyway, food for thought.

5. Plognark

Plognark Scribbler - Standard Member

I can confirm stoneseeker's results with the T902. I'm one of the knuckleheads trying to sort out the weird glitch with the firmware.

A T902 with an i7 is a beast, and the screen is beautiful. I run mine with a regular 480 gig SSD drive. I swapped the stock hard drive out and use a backup battery in the expansion bay. I also dropped in 16 gigs of ram too. Running two SSD drives in a raid array seems like overkill, but that's just me :)

6. ForzaqC

ForzaqC Pen Pal - Newbie

So you think it could be next year before the next model/refresh is available in the U.S.? I will do ongoing searches for a decent deal on the current version. There seems to be quite the upcharge for moving up to the i7 version. The best price I've seen is the model FPCM1124K (2GB RAM, Win7) for $1849 from Laptop Authority. The FPCM1124M is $100 more, but I can't see the difference in spec. I will be looking for a minimum spec on RAM and HDD and then swap in my own aftermarket stuff.

I'm not in dire need of a new work machine, but I just had to replace my hard drive and I know the logic board/GPU will be next now that the MBP is 4 years old. I think I can wait for the right opportunity. I won't have any reservations about going for the T902 in light of the info you guys have given me. Thanks!

7. stoneseeker

yeah, Fujitsu is kinda slow on their refreshes for new Intel CPU's. And right now there is only 1 TPC released with Haswell, Vaio Duo 13.

Try saving a search on Ebay, some people are having great luck finding them there. If you are American you'll find the Fujitsu Ebay store sometimes sells the i7's cheap too.

8. Plognark

Plognark Scribbler - Standard Member

This is where I got mine. The refurbs can show up with a pretty heavy discount. Good luck!

9. vitor

vitor Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

As a professional photographer, I often run heavy image files up to 800Mega (20 to 30 layers + filters) in PS, being on the run doesn't' always allow me to work on my workstation.
    Till now, I didn't experienced any limitations in my workflow, the T902 stays cold and doesn't excite itself that much
    I don't know about that pen glitch, haven't experienced it yet, again, my workflow don't include many rapid strokes.
    Working on I5, 16Gb-RAM and two 500gb SSD's.
    CPU wise, I don't think the use of the I7 justifies its price, its still a two core like the I5....

10. stoneseeker

2 500gig SSD's?!?!

Holy moly .... you must make a killing with your photos!

Curious to know your set-up. DOpus? StorkePLus? care to share your mods and workflow sometime? Sounds pretty cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.