T902 and Windows 10???

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by stoneseeker, Jul 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I imagine repasting the CPU is why your seeing most of your better gaming results since the T902 really struggles to stay cool. It's burning up right now as I play hearthstone! Isn't it normal for a core to be hotter +/- 6-8 degrees? Mine has at least 2 hotter than the rest too.

I guess I should be more concerned about introducing new glitches and compatibility issues to my workflow than performance issues. I have just been so impressed by the T902 ability to keep up with the desktops at work in Flash and After Effects but the performance is mostly SSD, CPU and ram, very little of what I do professionally is heavy on the GPU thankfully.

2. MPenguin

MPenguin Pen Pal - Newbie

Working fine, here, but haven't tested it extensively.

The Fingerprint reader wouldn't work. Installing the Win 8.1 Fingerprint Sensor Utility did not help. I had to install the Win 8 Omnipass software in order to login with my fingerprint.

3. vitor

vitor Pen Pal - Newbie

Just took the leap ...

BIG (only so far) ANNOYANCE: lost my pen cursor priority over touch. Installed last Wacom driver and back again with no success ...

4. Bitech

Bitech Pen Pal - Newbie

If possible try and dual-boot Windows 10 with your current OS instead of upgrading to it. You'll never know how well Windows 10 does in the long run and whether Fujitsu will release any drivers for it.

Have you tried throttling your CPU frequency when gaming? Most games don't lose any noticeable performance when the CPU isn't running at full speed. My T902's i5-3320m is always throttled to ~2.0 GHz with ThrottleStop during games and the temperatures always stay in the 60's (sometimes reaching 70 degrees).

stoneseeker likes this.
  5. alband

alband Pen Pal - Newbie

Just thought I'd share my two pence(!) having done the upgrade. It looks like a good OS in general, but as usual, I get the feeling that everything particularly niche has been ignored.

Biggest gripes:
    • Fingerprint integration is still no way near as slick as it was in Windows 8 (one of the main reasons I bought this thing!). It's working with fujitsu workplace protect, but it's just not as fast or unobtrusive. In Windows 8, you opened the lid, swiped your finger and you were in, no waiting. Now there are additional delays and clicks needed.
    • I can also agree, the pen input no longer has priority over finger input. No resting your hand on the screen while penning - makes the pen practically useless!
    • The mouse! I love using "momentum" from the synaptics touchpad driver - really makes a small touchpad a non-issue. When it first booted up 10, it still worked like a charm. However, it has now started behaving somewhat erratically. It does glide but usually only for a very small distance, sometimes barely noticeable. Every now and then you get a couple of normal glides out of it but I can't see any pattern. There was a synpatics driver upgrade, but I've downgraded back and have the same issue so I think it's something else. If someone could briefly test this for me I'd really appreciate it. It's in the "pointing" section of the driver settings.
    • Not overwhelmed by the start menu. Better than the Win 8 job but anything is. I may go back to classic shell.
    • Cortana! I was really looking forward to having siri-esque interactions with my computer but now find that the microphone is too quiet. "What?!" I thought. The microphone on this has always been impressively sensitive. Could someone check this on theirs? I remember it easily picking normal voice level of sound.
    • Lastly, bugs... There do seem to be a few. Several times while writing this, the focus has left the text box and seemed to get lost after a period of input slowdown. It's weird and I suspect Edge related. I'm underwhelmed with Edge too FYI. Speaking of Edge: I'm used to "Ctrl + T" then "type whatever I'm searching for...". (Aren't we all?). This works sometimes, but about half the time, I'll finish typing what I'm about to search, only to find the input box never had focus and so nothing has been typed. Annoyingly, the user isn't alerted to the fact their keystrokes are going nowhere.

If anyone has anything they'd like me to test for them, I'd be happy to help.
    Cheers,
    David

6. alband

alband Pen Pal - Newbie

Scratch number 3, "momentum". Having restarted after doing the downgrade to previous synaptics driver (19 down to 16) the momentum feature is working properly so this was a driver issue. Hopefully synaptics will fix this though it would be interesting if anyone else could reproduce this.
    On the subject of the touchpad/mouse, this is a good hack I use for middle-button all the time: https://sinairv.wordpress.com/2011/04/16/enabling-middle-click-in-synaptics-touchpad-drivers/
    Other annoyances:
    • "Win + E" No longer opens "This PC" (My computer). It now opens "Quick access". "Quick Access" (which has replaced "links" in explorer) is basically a combination of your "links" and recently/frequently used stuff. It's ok, but I'd prefer to have "This PC" back. I presume (hope!) there is a regedit to fix this.
    • The default download location of Edge can't be changed from "Downloads" (I prefer desktop so I don't have to dig it out). This can be fixed with a regedit though: http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-change-default-download-location-in-microsoft-edge/
    Hopefully this stuff is helpful for others considering the upgrade.
    Cheers

stoneseeker likes this.
  7. the3dstig

the3dstig Pen Pal - Newbie

Took the plunge myself today from Windows 7 64bit.

I'm running two SSD and 16gigs of ram on the i5 flavor of the T902. First impressions are that's MUCH snappier! System was pretty quick as it was but so far it "feels" a little quicker.
    Keyshot is also a bit more responsive. Not necessarily faster- just better interaction with my models, less lag I suppose.

I did hit a potentially MAJOR problem though... after the install none of the buttons on my pen were working! I use photoshop and zbrush daily on this tablet and without the right-click functionality my little powerhouse would be useless! Thankfully, all it took was a quick trip to wacom and installing the latest feel driver. Problem solved!

After fixing that one little issue- so far so good!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
    stoneseeker likes this.
  8. alband

alband Pen Pal - Newbie

9. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Seriously??!? This one is HUGE. If (unlike windows 7) we can't turn off touch while working what the eff are we supposed to do?? I'll never upgrade until I can at least have basic functionality of the pen without having to worry about my palm messing everything up. I NEED to turn off touch before working in Flash and photoshop. Anyone discovered a way to turn off touch yet in windows 10 while leaving the pen functional? I remember someone here made a button that sat on the start menu that could toggle touch on and off in windows 8...

10. alband

alband Pen Pal - Newbie

In windows 8.x I always found the touch/pen combo worked as expected - ignoring the touch when the pen was near. I've dug around and I can't find anything about this in 10. Can you see where this setting is in 8, if it works with your's. Windows 10 doesn't use a bunch of the fujitsu stuff so I suspect something fujitsu-specific has been replaced by something generic. Seems stupid. Having tried taking a couple of notes in OneNote, the pen is next to useless like this.
    Seems to be something odd with the whole touch UI though. I mentioned the double-tap thing before. It works FINE in edge. All the double taps zoom the view in and out a-la-ios-safari. However, in every other situation, double taps with the finger rarely work. There's a little settings bit when one can change the double tap settings; still the same issue there.
    Then there's scrolling on web pages. We're all used to the same thing when scrolling through something via touch. Apple (who I normally loath) got this right from the start: the document moves with the finger exactly until the finger is release, at which point it glides to a halt. That's the basic principle. However, in Win 10, I'm finding in most situations, the page accelerates briefly after the finger is released before gliding to a halt. The worst part is, it fell inconsistent. Even a small flick that would normally move the page a couple of line (the kind of thing I find myself doing when reading a long page) jets the page off as if PgUp or PgDn has been pressed.

It's not a "bad" OS - it has fixed a number of issues I had previously, but I can't say I'd recommend it.
    Good (thorough) review, though only of a preview build I think: http://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/20...the-best-version-yet-once-the-bugs-get-fixed/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.