T902 and Windows 10???

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by stoneseeker, Jul 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I hope someone tries. I am tempted to wipe the machine and start afresh in the new OS, but I guess we'll be waiting for Fujitsu to release Windows 10 drivers before we can attempt it. If I get a desktop when I move out West (happening next month) I may feel more inclined to risk it since I won't be relying on it as my only machine.
    Anyone interested in giving it a go with their T902??

2. b15h09

b15h09 Pen Pal - Newbie

I installed it last night (upgrade direct from Win7 Pro). Haven't had much chance to play with it, but so far, everything feels wonderfully integrated. Doesn't feel like old school windows with a mishmash of a dozen different developers for a given device. Touch works great, pen works... ish. I seem to have lost pressure sensitivity. Kind of a big deal. If I can get that working, I could not but recommend it, but without that... :(

Again, I haven't had much chance to mess around with it. I'll update if I get the pressure sensitivity working.

Update: Okay, it seems pressure sensitivity is working fine, just not with MyPaint, which is what I've been using to doodle with. No PS installed so can't comment on that, but the new MS browser has a sketch up feature in which the pressure sensitivity works great. So it's being recognized at least, just not by some programs.

Also, the screen keeps trying to default to tablet orientation on startup. It goes to a standard orientation with a bit of screen movement, so not sure if that may be hardware related, but I hadn't seen it before.

Update2: Installed the latest MyPaint release, and pressure sensitivity is working fine. So, yeah, this OS seems to rock so far.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    stoneseeker likes this.
  3. stoneseeker

It sounds like applications requiring Wacom's ISD (wintab) are not working yet.. Just to be sure, have you installed the latest Feel IT driver from Wacom yet? Or did you install the windows 8 Fujitsu Wacom ISD driver instead? If neither, try the Wacom one first: http://us.wacom.com/en/feeldriver/

Sorry if this is already done, just want to make sure you have tried the wacom drivers too.

So auto rotate and the bezel buttons are customizable and work fine? Your using windows 8.1 drivers?

4. b15h09

b15h09 Pen Pal - Newbie

What I had was a fresh install of windows 7 pro 64 with the corresponding drivers from Fujitsu's site. I did an in place upgrade to windows 10 pro. The pressure sensitivity issue was coming from an outdated version of MyPaint, it looks like. It works fine in the latest beta, as well as in the new Spartan browser. The rotation lock and other function buttons on the bezel work fine, but I haven't tried any customization of them yet. Autorotate seems a bit flaky (it tries starting in vertical orientation, but wiggling the lid a bit drops it into horizontal), but nothing dealbreaking to me.

All the bezel functions look to be available from the little right swipe setting screen, so I'll look into customizing the bezel keys when I get home tonight.

So yeah, I went straight from Win7 Pro 64 to Win10 Pro 64, with no change in drivers. The security software had to be uninstalled before I could do the upgrade, but everything else seemed compatible to the preinstall check, and so far, I haven't seen any issues.

stoneseeker likes this.
  5. stoneseeker

Wow, that is crazy that it's working with no new drivers from Fujitsu. Good to know the windows 7 drivers are working in it so far.

I really want to make sure that the newest Wacom drivers are compatible with Windows 10. There's not really any way to know until we try the pen on a wintab-only application. Do you think you'd be willing to download the trial of Corel Painter to test pressure sensitivity in that program?? MyPaint I believe uses windows API, so regardless of Wacom driver it will work. There are apps like Flash, ZBrush, TVPaint, etc. that don't use Windows ink API yet, and I worry about those ones in Windows 10.

This is a link to the trial if your interested in testing for us: http://www.painterartist.com/us/product/paint-program/?showdialog=freeTrial

unless you have flash. That would be even better.

6. b15h09

b15h09 Pen Pal - Newbie

Sure thing. I don't have flash, but will give the Corel Trial a whirl. Would you like me to try it both before and after installing the Feel IT driver?

stoneseeker likes this.
  7. b15h09

b15h09 Pen Pal - Newbie

Alright, so I installed Corel Painter 2015 first, and pressure sensitivity seemed to work fine in the Brush Tracker, as well as when actually using it (awesome bit of software, anyone know if is Essentials decent?). I then installed the Feel IT 7.3.1.7 driver, and I mostly lost the use of the pen. I reverted to the 7.3.1.2 driver (I believe that's what I was using prior), and once again, things seemed to work fine after a restart.

The 7.3.1.7 driver is really odd. In the calibration screen, you can touch the pips no problem, but that's the only time the pen seems to actually be recognized after startup. You can't hit the buttons in the calibration screen, only the pips. During startup, the pen is recognized for a couple of seconds while things are still loading up, but around the time the desktop loads, the pen cursor disappears. Touch still worked. I tried disabling all fujitsu software during startup to see if that made a difference, but it didn't.

Also, the A and B buttons seem to take customization without a hitch.

EDIT: I dug up my old driver downloads, and it seems I likely had ISD 7.2.0-10, not 7.3.1-2. So I think Win10 may have automatically installed that newer driver, which works great as far I've been able to tell. Would be amazing if MS's driver repository were to become more reliable.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    stoneseeker likes this.
  8. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just got it all set up on my T902 after backing up my Win8.1 installation.

A clean install will automatically grab and install new drivers from Windows Update in the background. This does get a lot of the core functionality down, but you'll still need to grab the Button Driver, System Extension Utility and System Manager from Fujitsu's site and install those so the bezel buttons and slate mode conversion work properly. Tablet mode prompts every time you switch, which is a pleasant surprise for a classic swivel-hinge convertible like this whose keyboard remains permanently attached.

Also, uninstall the Wacom driver it provides and install 7.2.0-10 in its place. Touch works much better with the older version on the T902 for whatever reason, and there's no compatibility issues with Win10. Win-Tab still works, too; I've verified it in Paint Tool SAI already.

stoneseeker and Raven like this.
  9. stoneseeker

Thanks guys! That's awesome to hear it's working well so far. Do you think the performance while doing things like rendering and such will be effected for better or worse?? I am worried if I switch I might introduce new issues to my workflow... Does performance feel similar or enhanced in any way? (a bit subjective I know)

10. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's too early to tell in terms of performance, and some of this could've been that I decided to tear down the T902 and repaste the CPU for kicks along the way to minimize throttling (only to realize one core's still 5 or 6 degrees hotter than the other under ThrottleStop bench load), but I tried GTA:SA for kicks after the upgrade and could've sworn it started performing much better at higher resolutions, like I had to crank it down to 800x600 to keep it from hitching and now can keep it at the native 1600x900.

I suppose that's a good sign for graphics performance, at least, even when Intel refuses to provide any real driver updates. (DX12? You need Haswell or later for that, which means the T904 or T935 out of Fujitsu's current lineup.)

The real test will be when I do the Doom 3 timedemo runs for that VOGONS bench thread again...

stoneseeker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.