T901 Windows 8!

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by rcxAsh, Oct 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rcxAsh

rcxAsh Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, I was able to customize the side buttons. I tried it with a few different options such as opening the Wacom pop-up menu or inputting a keystroke and it seems to work. Was there something in particular you usually customize it with?

2. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Hm, that's strange. It didn't work on mine. It frustrated me, since the default settings only use one button to right click. Maybe I'll give Windows 8 another try when I have some time.

I generally set the bottom button to pan/scroll, which means setting it as space since art programs don't acknowledge Wacom pan/scroll settings. More annoyances, but I make due.

3. rcxAsh

rcxAsh Scribbler - Standard Member

Hmm, I don't know if it's just the way Gimp handles things, or if you might experience this too in your applications, but I set the bottom side button to be "space", and when I press the button here, it makes a lot of spaces in other programs, such as in the browser: " "... but, when I open Gimp and press the side button, instead of invoking the spacebar, it instead opens a pop-up menu within Gimp. I didn't hunt around much, but I couldn't figure out how to change this behaviour. No matter what I set the side button to do, in the Gimp it always opened up the pop-up menu.

However, I set the top side button to space (rather than eraser), and then it behaved as expected, allowing me to pan around. Is this what you had experienced before too?

4. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

That's rather strange behavior from Gimp, but no, it's not quite what I mean.

In the settings, you can set a button to be Pan/Scroll, and it will allow you to scroll in browsers, windows explorer, basically every program out there except for art programs (though side-scrolling is often more miss than hit). In Photoshop, the button will become the grabber hand so you can pan around the canvas. However, for whatever reason, every other art program I've tried interprets that button as zoom. I was reminded of this today while doodling in Sketchbook Pro. My hand brushed over the scroll sensor, and the canvas zoomed out. In what universe does scrolling mean zoom? In art program universe, scrolling means zoom. Space is grabber hand. Even in Photoshop.

I gave up trying to use pan/scroll on the tablet pen. Using it to scroll in browsers was laggy anyway.

It's rather lucky I never branched out into art programs other than Photoshop back when I only had my Bamboo tablet. Scrolling with my Bamboo pen is a dream, and trying to use other art programs would have given me a coronary.

5. SuperFlyBoy

SuperFlyBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

I have installed all the drivers/software other than the below:

Infieon TPM
    Intel AMT
    Intel Management Software
    Intel Graphics Driver (Do I need this, even though I'm running the Nvidia?)
    Security Panel App (User and Supervisor)

Should I install any of them? Are they required?

Thanks!

I don't have much time to evaluate this machine due to a heavy workload, but this will become my primary machine shortly...

6. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

You should absolutely install the Intel Graphics driver! In fact, just head on over to use Intel's update utility and it will give you the most up to date graphics driver. Even though you use Nvidia for intense stuff, Optimus will shift it over to intel integrated when its not needed, saving your battery life. You want to have the drivers updated for the onboard GPU so it behaves as it should.

7. SuperFlyBoy

SuperFlyBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

I think Win8 loaded the Intel Graphics driver automatically - I see it there.

I guess I will do the Intel update utility to make sure it's the latest...

However, what about the other drivers - required or not?

8. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

If you're not going to use the others, I think you're fine with not installing them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.