T901 Windows 8!

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by rcxAsh, Oct 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rcxAsh

rcxAsh Scribbler - Standard Member

I used the supposedly retail version of the ISO that I downloaded through Microsoft's Windows 8 upgrade tool. I'm not sure how it differs from the System Builder DVD, but I might suggest trying the retail version of the DVD/ISO if your System Builder installation seems to be giving you trouble...

Incidentally, is anyone who is using the drivers from Wacom's website experiencing difficulties with it? I find that occasionally, after a few sleep/wake cycles, the touch and pen stop working completely until I restart the computer. Not sure if something is conflicting with it, but there's no indication of what is wrong..

2. primexx

primexx Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't have a copy of the upgrade ISO.

I just tried the Enterprise edition evaluation and it recognized the touchscreen fine. Some further googling revealed what appears to be the same issue on Dell that uses a different touchscreen Touchscreen Not Detecting in Windows 8 Pro OEM - Laptop General Hardware Forum - Laptop - Dell Community

If what they said is true then that means the OEM copy is the problem. However, I don't imagine MS would actually do something like that since this is the same bits as the MSDN and TechNet download, which is distributed to a lot of people, including a lot of students through MSDNAA. There's also the issue that the touchscreen wouldn't work correctly even after I installed the driver.

I'll keep trying a few things. If all else fails I may have to buy a copy of the upgrade. Now, if I do use the upgrade, after I make the install disc can I secure erase my SSD before installing it? does it have to see that Win7 is on the disk before letting me install from the ISO?

Thanks!

edit: comparing the enterprise eval and the OEM editions, there are only three differences: 1 - the enterprise evaluation has an ei.cfg that makes it choose eval automatically, nothing special. 2&3 - the boot.wim and the install.wim files are different. the install.wim on the OEM is a lot larger (makes sense), while the boot.wim is only 4kb larger on the eval edition. but they seem to actually contain identical contents for some reason. i already asked for the boot.wim hash on the upgrade edition and it is identical to the OEM edition. So the likely cause of the different behaviour is probably in the install.wim. that makes things a bit complicated since there are many file differences between the enterprise eval and the OEM install.wim images and the upgrade edition has a esd image instead of a wim (encrypted, i think), which makes it practically impossible to figure out what's causing it.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  3. primexx

primexx Scribbler - Standard Member

Update: it is indeed a licencing restriction.

4. SuperFlyBoy

SuperFlyBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

I just bought a T901, waiting for it to be shipped and received.

In the meantime, has anyone found a driver for the NVIDIA card, as Fujitsu only has Win8 64-bit drivers for Intel graphics listed on their US support site?

Thanks!

5. rcxAsh

You can always get the latest nVidia drivers from their website directly. I believe these should be the latest ones (as of this post):

NVIDIA DRIVERS 310.90WHQL

The version of the T901 that has nVidia graphics actually has both Intel and nVidia graphics. However, the nVidia drivers handle switching back and forth when needed (or you can configure it in the nVidia settings on a per-application basis). So you will still need the Intel graphics driver too.

6. SuperFlyBoy

Thanks! ^ ^

7. SuperFlyBoy

8. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Windows 8 driver installation is a bit tricky, because the order of the drivers do matter. There will also be some Windows 7 drivers that you need, since Fujitsu assumes that people are doing Win7->Win8 upgrades rather than clean installs. The best thing to do is to note the order of the drivers under Win7, then go and note which of them have Win8 updates. Install in that order, using the Win7 version when there is no Win8 version.

Once you do this, please report back on whether the digitizer driver Fujitsu finally put up works. I tried it out briefly, and it did not provide pressure sensitivity in Manga Studio 5. Worse, the Pen Tablet Properties in the Control Panel didn't work, which meant that I couldn't customize my pen side buttons. I gave up on Windows 8 completely after that.

9. rcxAsh

I just did a fresh install of Windows 8 on my T901. This time, I started with only using the Windows 8 64-bit drivers that Fujitsu posted. Previously, I had a mix of Windows 7 and Windows 8 drivers, since I had installed Windows 8 before Fujitsu released its official support.

I started by going through each driver in the order that they listed them, skipping over some non-essential ones such as the WiFi drivers, since they were already working out of the box.

A couple things I noted:

1) The scroll wheel and bezel scroll sensor do not work with only the Windows 8 drivers. I had to install the Windows 7 "Pointing" package to get it to work (version 15.2.11.1). This is the Synaptics driver package - for some reason they didn't include this in the Windows 8 drivers. The "Pointing Device Utility" that is shown in the Windows 8 section didn't really seem to do anything. (Note that the Windows 7 drivers had two packages - Pointing and Pointing Utility). After installing the Pointing Synaptics package from the Windows 7 list, the scroll wheel works.

2) With the "Digitizer Driver" package in the Windows 8 list, I now get pressure sensitivity in The GIMP (so I assume Photoshop should work as well). I haven't noticed any issues with this driver yet, although it's only been a couple hours. This is the Wacom package. However, the version is listed in the Control Panel as "7.1.0-10", which is NEWER than the latest version posted on the Wacom website as of today's date (version 7.1.0-8). So seems promising so far.

A general note about Windows 8; if you are using an upgrade product key, you can only activate it if the setup detected a Windows 7 installation somewhere on your computer. When I first installed Windows 8, I still had Windows 7 on the hard drive, but during the installation, I opted to do a clean install and had the Windows 8 installer delete my old Windows 7 partitions. Windows 8 installed and activated fine.

This time around, however, I replaced my hard drive completely (moved to an SSD!) so I installed Windows 8 onto a completely blank disk (same computer that I had already activated Windows 8 on previously and legally). After installation, I found that it would not activate against my product key.. Fortunately, there is a workaround here if you don't want to have to restore to Windows 7 before installing Windows 8 again: Windows 8 Pro Upgrade Product Key can't be used to activate - Microsoft Community

10. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Are you able to customize your side pen buttons?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.